Earplugs, iPods, and Helmet Disco

I didn't want to hijack the TI Yosh thread where they were discussing exhaust/wind noise, so I thought I'd post a specific thread on earplugs.

I could use some advice/input here: What are the most effective earplugs for blocking wind noise? I won't use them in town where I wear a 3/4 helmet and want to hear everything, but I use a full coverage on the county roads at 60 mph and sometimes come off the bike feeling like I've been at a vacuum cleaner convention.

One criteria that's important to me as well is they gotta be comfortable--if they hurt, I ain't wearin' 'em.

And a corollary question: Anybody have any experience with acceptable helmet tunes? Do you ride with the ear buds in, or try to route something into the helmet pads? I'm sure the adventure tourers here can give me some direction. Thanks.

See the other thread you mentioned. I sorta hijacked it myself...

Best bang for the buck in passive noise canceling earphones are the Etymotic ER6i's. They're about $73 on Amazon. They work so well my girlfriend stole mine for our long rides on the KGT, so I have to order another pair. Well worth it.

Best bang for the buck in passive noise canceling earphones are the Etymotic ER6i's. They're about $73 on Amazon.

+1 I tried all sorts of solutions, finally found satisfaction with the Etymotics. There are enough different ear pieces to find one that suits you best. I use them even without tunes, as earplugs. They are that good.

I like my Sony fontopia earbuds pretty well (think they cost about$50)...They don't block out all of the traffic and wind noise, but they do cut it down quite a bit & I also don't have to have the iPod voume up too loud to enjoy some tunes if I want to.

I like my Sony fontopia earbuds pretty well (think they cost about$50)...They don't block out all of the traffic and wind noise, but they do cut it down quite a bit & I also don't have to have the iPod voume up too loud to enjoy some tunes if I want to.

+1 - I don't use them on the bike but when in airplanes. They cut out noise almost as well as ear plugs and are comfortable. They come with three different sizes of earpieces to fit most. I like them. They have held up well also (2 years). You can find them for ~$30 on the web.

Go to the hardware store and get the -35db disposable foam earplugs. They are super cheep, $20 for 200 pairs. Get the pre-packaged ones so you can keep some clean and in you bag.

I won't use them in town where I wear a 3/4 helmet and want to hear everything, .

...............as mentiond in th 'other' thread, you hear all th important stuff BETTER when you have earplugs in.:prof:

i wear these kind of ear plugs cost like 3 bucks works fine u can still hear stuff around u 41E01KQBWGL._SS500_.jpg

These are my favorites. They're cheap, comfortable, and easy to use. I've worn earplugs for years when riding. They cut down on the wind noise but as said before, you still hear the motor and important stuff.

http://www.tasco-safety.com/earplugs/earplugs.html

Thanks for all the advice! I'll implement a couple of these. I was unaware of the bell-shaped foam plugs; in the past, for work, I've used the yellow foam plugs shaped like barrels, but they hurt my ears after about an hour. I've also used the plastic numbers that look like ribbed condoms (no, strike that metaphor) that look like stacked umbrellas, but they, too, hurt my ears after a short period. I wear "ear muff" protectors when I work in the shop or around loud, abrasive noises (tablesaw, weed whacker, router), and I like these, though they "leak" noise when I put on safety glasses and break the seal. In an ideal world, someone would make an ear sock that filtered sound--maybe I should invent and patent one?

I was riding to work tonight and got pulled over for speeding and the cop told me that having headphones, earbuds or plugs in is illegal. I had my MP3 player strapped to the bars and a couple in ear 'ear buds' on like I always do. He did let me go with a warning, still made me late for work though.

Check your laws.