Looking for some intel - Adventure Dual

Been awhile since I've posted here.....I am looking for any inside info on the following:

I'd like an adventure bike, BUT the KTM950 is not what I'm looking for

My wish is: a v twin 650 DUALSport/Adventure bike, BUT the weeStrom won't do the trick

I need to be able to run with a crew of 950 Adv....but I don't want that bike.

BTW- I run a ZRX1200R and a DRZ400S

I have looked at the 950 Super Enduro - but that 12K I don't have and it's still too big for my liking.

The Aprilia is a racebred 550 v twin.....Supermoto.....not an adventure bike

Is there any inside info on 2008 models that MIGHT BE including a 550-750

adventure/dualsport bike????

If we could shoehorn an SV650 motor into a DRZ chassi and make the damm thing work, that might be a winner.......or a KTM 650 v twin adv bike.......

Any thoughts?

I've heard of nothing like what you may be asking... a rumor about a tenere was the closest.

A KLR might be a better bet than you would originally guess... no slouch on the twisties, but it won't run at 100 all day, either...I think it would keep up with a 950 on all but flat out desert riding

Or buy papa's DR650, and bring along a CS sprocket to change out for high speed gear changes.

My wish is a superhawk engine in an aluminum frame... decent suspension

Thanks for the replies.

There is a functionallity of a Vtwin 650 that can get you the long street runs, ANd be light enough to head for dirt and not worry about it.

Now, the 950's with a well versed rider can do most anything but the most technical stuff, just see KTMRAD's ride posts over at

www.dualsport-sd.com He rides a KTM950 and an Elephant.

I am a Kawasaki guy for the most part....but they are not in the game, unless they come up with an Adventure bike Vtwin.....The other criteria is the bike needs to be in the $7000 to $8000 range new ( or less ) NOT 10,000 to 14,000.

I keep wishing, and hoping.....I personally think the mfg's are missing an entire segment of the market. A mid priced, mid size Adventure Bike/Dual Sport.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Try to find yourself a Honda TA( Transalp) or AT ( Africa Twin) Its been tried before, but the market wasn't there, its better now, but is it good enough for the Big 4 to make a go at it?

The only other option I see is the Aprillia, if it has to be a dirt ready twin

Try to find yourself a Honda TA( Transalp) or AT ( Africa Twin) Its been tried before, but the market wasn't there, its better now, but is it good enough for the Big 4 to make a go at it?

The only other option I see is the Aprillia, if it has to be a dirt ready twin

Yup, my group here in San Diego and I have discussed the TA, and back then the market for Adventure Bikes had not blossomed yet.

Modern Tech/suspension in a watercooled Vtwin 650 platform......:excuseme:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Been awhile since I've posted here.....I am looking for any inside info on the following:

I'd like an adventure bike, BUT the KTM950 is not what I'm looking for

My wish is: a v twin 650 DUALSport/Adventure bike, BUT the weeStrom won't do the trick

I need to be able to run with a crew of 950 Adv....but I don't want that bike.

BTW- I run a ZRX1200R and a DRZ400S

I have looked at the 950 Super Enduro - but that 12K I don't have and it's still too big for my liking.

The Aprilia is a racebred 550 v twin.....Supermoto.....not an adventure bike

Is there any inside info on 2008 models that MIGHT BE including a 550-750

adventure/dualsport bike????

If we could shoehorn an SV650 motor into a DRZ chassi and make the damm thing work, that might be a winner.......or a KTM 650 v twin adv bike.......

Any thoughts?

If you have not done so already, check out the TE610. Not a twin, but still sounds like a good fit. Lots of info from owners over on ***advrider*** too.

R

or the ktm 640 adv. should keep up with th 950s if they follow legal limits even mildly

Why not a used KTM 640 LC4?

I have looked at and reviewed the Huskys, big KTM singles, other singles, and just want to have a Vtwin mid size Adventure bike.

Maybe I could put a DRZ front fork assl'y and DRZ swingarm and after market shock on the WeeStrom......hmmmmmm.

I really do appreciate your responses.....I was hoping that someone may have heard of a new midsize coming out in 08....one can only hope!

If you can find an AT, there's a company in Germany I believe that go's balls out in accessories, fully Dakar capable, I think that would be an awesome deal, if I had the $dinero$, I'd like to do something like that.

If I did not already own a 1200cc pure street bike I might think about a 950 Adv, but it will just piss me off when riding on road and off. The 950 and 990 must have there place but I can't find it.

A lot depends on where and how you want to ride. When it comes to off road the V-twins can't put that power to the ground and there so heavy it becomes a fight to ride them in anything but a straight line. Check the for sale, you will find many dual sport V-twins.

For a true dual sport bike that sees a lot of pavement and gets dirty, you will have more fun and go faster on a lighter weight 650 single.

If I did not already own a 1200cc pure street bike I might think about a 950 Adv, but it will just piss me off when riding on road and off. The 950 and 990 must have there place but I can't find it.

A lot depends on where and how you want to ride. When it comes to off road the V-twins can't put that power to the ground and there so heavy it becomes a fight to ride them in anything but a straight line. Check the for sale, you will find many dual sport V-twins.

For a true dual sport bike that sees a lot of pavement and gets dirty, you will have more fun and go faster on a lighter weight 650 single.

While I agree, that a single is much better off road, that twin will smoke a single on the street.And be much more comfortable doing it.

I had two Trans-Alps. Awesome on the street.I could ride forever, until severe monkey butt took over.

I have a Te610 and love it but I think I would buy the new BMW 650 in a heartbeat if I had not bought the Husky, The Beamer has Fuel Injection and a smoother engine. Plus Touratech has a bunch of after market parts out or on the way. The Husky is lacking in aftermarket support.

Worth a look IMO

LTR

R

Was at the BMW dealer the other day and there was talk about a potential F800GS in the next couple of years with discontinuation of the F650GS...

my dad has an Africa Twin, they thing is relentless. If your used to aluminum frame singles then it will definatly feel like a heavy pig, but its amazingly comfortable for long distance, relitively the same as the Transalp which you can find in the US. (89-90)

XR650R is the ultimate big bore single to me...lightest of the 650 class except a husaberg

How about the new KLE 650 twin? Or a DR 650? Both Buell and BMW have new bikes coming out that sound promising too.

How about the new KLE 650 twin?
Think the Versys (KLE 650) is a parallel-, not a V-twin; and, from the pictures . . . don't know how well the under-frame muffler and plumbing would get along with rocks . . .

Looks pretty fun; kinda motardish, I guess, but . . . "Dual-Sport" is a STATE OF MIND!