Taking a trip to Cloudcroft

My Mukini Pumper is jetted for sea level. Can anyone give me an idea on how to jet it for NM. We will be spending a week in the Cloudcroft area in early to mid Sept.:applause: I hope it's dry. My bike is completely uncorked with a 440 overbore, comp. cam, FMF header and Powercore. I have never riden it at altitude and I need some advise.:prof:

I can't wait:busted: :worthy::crazy::banghead::blah: !! HaHa

Rman.....

mile high enduro in cloudcroft is sept 9th . i ride my 400 with stock everything except xhaust,cant help with jetting spark arrestors are required in the lincoln natl forest.we have been getting a lot of rain lately and are hoping for some dry weather . for more event info go to http://www.prairiedawgsmc.com/news.php

I rode Cloudcroft, NM a couple of months ago. I used 125/12.5 jetting and fuel screw ~2.5 turns out on the Mikuni Pumper. Worked very good, we will be back there in September. See you on the Rim Trial!

I rode Cloudcroft, NM a couple of months ago. I used 125/12.5 jetting and fuel screw ~2.5 turns out on the Mikuni Pumper. Worked very good, we will be back there in September. See you on the Rim Trial!

Since some of you guys are local to the area could you suggest a place to camp? Looking for a place with hookups, sewer etc.. I've seen what's available on the web but was wondering if there's a hide-a-way place that the local's favor. Sorry for the Hijack.

Can't help you with campgrounds or hook-ups. I stay at the Spruce Cabins on the east side ($85 a night for 2 or 3). These cabins are no frills, but inexpensive and quiet at night. By the way Rman of 237, my bike is on the stock bore with FMF powerbomb, Yoshi muffler, Hot Cam stage 1, opened up airbox and UNI. I still believe my jetting suggestion will work with your 440. Have fun kicking H20 pumper ass on the singletrak!

Cloudcroft is at 8600". My XR is a 440 with UNI and Gordon Mods. A month ago I rode in Colorado at around the same elevation and higher. I set my Mikuni up with the 125/12.5 jetting and I also dropped the needle 1 position. The needle drop was new for that trip, as for the time before that I left it at stock position and it didn't run as well as I'd hoped with just the jetting change. But the needle drop made all the difference. Retune the fuel screw for best idle and response once you get up there.

No campgrounds with hookups near cloudcroft I know of I live 7 miles out of town most us motels or camp at the start area. Try tall timber cabins. 505 682 2301.

Cloudcroft is at 8600". My XR is a 440 with UNI and Gordon Mods. A month ago I rode in Colorado at around the same elevation and higher. I set my Mikuni up with the 125/12.5 jetting and I also dropped the needle 1 position. The needle drop was new for that trip, as for the time before that I left it at stock position and it didn't run as well as I'd hoped with just the jetting change. But the needle drop made all the difference. Retune the fuel screw for best idle and response once you get up there.
Thanks for everyones replies. To be honest, I don't know how my pumper is jetted but I will rebuild it for maintainance this week and have a look. I will take y'alls advice and go 125/12.5 and one down on the needle.

Overkill2 who asked about camping earlier on this thread is my brother. We are going up there together. I don't know why he didn't just say that? :bonk: HaHaHa

We are not familiar with the area and could sure use any more advise y'all can throw at us.:prof:

Again, thank you all.

Rman of 237

mile high enduro in cloudcroft is sept 9th . i ride my 400 with stock everything except xhaust,cant help with jetting spark arrestors are required in the lincoln natl forest.we have been getting a lot of rain lately and are hoping for some dry weather . for more event info go to http://www.prairiedawgsmc.com/news.php
Hi dos, thanks for the heads up on the enduro taking place on the 9th. We will not be participating in it though as we are just going for vacation.:ride: I tried to go to the link you posted but it wouldn't let me access it. I will try again later. We would like to watch from the pits though, sounds like fun.:applause: I hope we can find a place to camp because of the crowds but my bro says he may have found a place.:applause:

Rman...

Can't help you with campgrounds or hook-ups. I stay at the Spruce Cabins on the east side ($85 a night for 2 or 3). These cabins are no frills, but inexpensive and quiet at night. By the way Rman of 237, my bike is on the stock bore with FMF powerbomb, Yoshi muffler, Hot Cam stage 1, opened up airbox and UNI. I still believe my jetting suggestion will work with your 440. Have fun kicking H20 pumper ass on the singletrak!
Thanks Norge, we have real similar bikes, huh?:applause: Cool. Anyone know of a good bike shop in the area (just in case...):excuseme:

R....

I'll be there mid sept. I usually bring my XR emergency kit-levers, new chain, shifter, CDI, Tubes, Peg mount, plugs and misc metric nuts and bolts (never needed it yet cause it's an XR). My Brother in law is bringing out an extra XR I bought from Austin, TX. So theres a complete spare bike. No internet service at the cabin I'm staying at so if you need anything 505-320-9618.

Well it's official, my bro has a campsite booked from the 15th to the 22nd somewhere to the east of town about 1.6mi from the trailhead.:applause:

I tore apart the Mikuni and found it has a 127.5 main/12.5 pilot so I ordered four different jets and went ahead and installed the 125 and dropped the needle one notch. The other jets are of various sizes but I doubt I'll need them but at least I have them just in case. My bike is still down due to gen. maint. but I'm anxious to see how it runs at sea level with the 125.

I'm going to strip some parts off my '83 350 for spares (chain and whatever) so does anyone know if the CDI is interchangeable with the '98?:confused:

Hope to see y'all on the trail.:ride:

Rman of 237:cheers:

I'll be on Rim Trail the morning of the 21st. You gotta try this trail, locals will give you a handout with trail difficulty and location of all the trails up there.

I'll be on Rim Trail the morning of the 21st. You gotta try this trail, locals will give you a handout with trail difficulty and location of all the trails up there.

Our plan was to buy the trail guide from one of the ranger stations, (i'm the brother btw), and wing it from there. I've read a lot about this rim trail but really have no idea what to expect. Are there any other publications regarding trails that you could suggest? We're by no means novice riders but my main concern is fuel consumption. I know this is a open ended question but what type of duration (time line) is the average trail round trip. Is this something to be concerned with. Thanks for all the good info Norge. :thumbsup:

Most of the trails on top of the mtn are 1/2 day or less and stock tank is fine for this. If you work your way off the mtn towards Alamagordo then gas could become an issue with a stock tank. We usually take the highway to the end of rim trail and take the trail back to Cloudcroft. We are back by lunch. I suggest rim trail cause of the outstanding views. The trail has technical sections with log crossings, but it also has some fast sections (just ignore the cliffs). With 2 of you on the trail, there's nothing you can't handle. The trail also crosses a couple of forest roads, so you can bail if necessary. If you want to ride it on Friday with us, swing by Spruce Thursday night.

Most of the trails on top of the mtn are 1/2 day or less and stock tank is fine for this. If you work your way off the mtn towards Alamagordo then gas could become an issue with a stock tank. We usually take the highway to the end of rim trail and take the trail back to Cloudcroft. We are back by lunch. I suggest rim trail cause of the outstanding views. The trail has technical sections with log crossings, but it also has some fast sections (just ignore the cliffs). With 2 of you on the trail, there's nothing you can't handle. The trail also crosses a couple of forest roads, so you can bail if necessary. If you want to ride it on Friday with us, swing by Spruce Thursday night.
Dude, we would love to hook up with you guys! Thanks for your info on Overkill's fuel concerns. His 280 has a stock tank and my 440 has a 4.0 IMS. I'm bringing along my TW200 for recon, gas and beer runs.:D

I don't remember where we'll be but I will edit in here later.

Here it is.

http://www.cloudcroft-rv.com/

Thanks for your help my friend,:applause:

Norge gets a tank of gas!!:thumbsup:

Ahh, Cloudcroft! I grew up in El Paso, we used to go camping in Cloudcroft back in the day. Skiing in Ruidoso. You guys are lucky because I remember it as being uncrowded (unlike California) and just beautiful up there. Next time I visit my dad I may bring the bike along and do some riding.

OK, the 440 is back in action and running like a spotted ass ape!!:eek: I had to reinstall the 127.5 for it to run right at sea level though but I left the needle dropped one notch and it's running better than before.:bonk:

I had to install a set of dualsport tires that I had laying around (Trail Winner GP110F and Rs... ) so it would pass TX State inspection but will have the Dunlaps back on tomorrow.:busted:

Were getting there,

R....

Hey Norge, I sent you a PM.