First Post-3X3 Mod.

This is my first post. Right off I love my '03 DR-Z400S. Just got it today (for what I think was a good deal) and have owned everything from a '74 XR75, '74MT250, '80KZ900 + 1000, '94 Interceptor 750, XR650L, Hurricane 600, etc... and I still love this bike. Perfect everything-as far as I'm concerned. Perfect for me-that is-a 45 year-old with 16 pieces of titanium in my left hip, back and pelvis following his 11-year old son around on a '05 kx85.

That being said I still want to go faster-don't we all? I've read all I can so far on this so-called 3X3 upgrade.

My question is this: what if I remove the snorkel, cut the 3X3 hole but don't change the jetting. I'm lazy and if it is going to have to be done I'm going to have to pay a mechanic to do the re-jetting.

This is just for the main, right? And a move on the needle clip?

Thanks so much-this seems like a very cool and helpful community and I look forward to belonging

Thanks,

Lover

You cannot add more air to this motor without compensating with proper jetting.

i took my side cover off my bike and rode if for a few miles seems to run better with it off :excuseme: but i put it back on after i was done

You cannot add more air to this motor without compensating with proper jetting.

What if I do the 3X3 cutout and the Carb. work but just use the stock exhaust after I take off the stock end-cap, replace it with a billet w/a much larger exhaust hole and take out any packing (is there?)?

Thanks

What if I do the 3X3 cutout and the Carb. work but just use the stock exhaust after I take off the stock end-cap, replace it with a billet w/a much larger exhaust hole and take out any packing (is there?)?

Thanks

Removing the stock end cap will not make a very large difference. There is still a lot of baffeling inside the pipe. The 3x3 will buy you more IMO. I would recommend opening it up a bit and rejetting it. If you are at sea level, it is already running lean. You will notice a nice increase in throttle response just by rejetting a stock bike :thumbsup:

+2 on crf250guy comments.

Do the 3X3, get a James Dean jet kit, a Kientech extended fuel screw and the allen head bowl bolt kit from the TT store. You cannot go wrong. Messing with the endcap will basically make the bike noisier. You want more power, the next step is the FCR. After that, then it is a Pipe/big bore/cams......