10w40w vs. 20w50w oil

My local shop quite carrying 10w40w HP4M oil and only carries the 20w50w HP4M. Can I run it in my CRF250F?

you could run the heavier weight oil in your bike as long as it is made for wet clutches (some oils have friction reducers for the engine which is bad for the clutch..

one word of advice when it gets cold find the 10-40w. oil as it lubricates the motor much quicker on start up.. the 20-50w is thick enough where it will not flow thru the ports and lubricate the engine as quick since it is so thick, that it has trouble moving thru the motor when it is very cold (its not a serious problem but it is always better to be on the safe side)

Overall don't worry about the thicker oil especially during summer as it gives more protectiion, just try to get the thinner oil if it gets very cold out..

you could run the heavier weight oil in your bike as long as it is made for wet clutches (some oils have friction reducers for the engine which is bad for the clutch..

remeber this is a CRF, separate tranny/engine oil.... i run 20w-50 mostly year round, when it gets cold( below 40 degrees) i switch to 10w-50... i also run nothing but Amsoil:thumbsup: