CRF450 is it a good starter bike

Hi i looking in to get a 06 -07 crf450 i'm 6''2 i weigh 140 and i turning 16 have some experience on bike's but i mostly ride quads(Raptor 700,YFZ450 and banshee) and i was wondering if a crf450 is to much power for me also i want a good reliable bike and i heard Honda's are the best dirt bike's.OR should i just go with a crf250r

I started on a 450 and I'm not sorry that I did, but I'll be honest, the 250F is a hot bike and you won't be disappointed.

i would go with the 250. coming off of quads you are gona want to grab a whole bunch of throttle like you can on a 4 wheeler. a 450 will put you on your ass quick fast and in a hurry if you do that. i would go with a 250 they are plenty fast. my 450 is like a carnival ride. and the cr500...well thats just insane.

Yea on quads its not as intimidating to use a whole lot of throttle as on a bike, I would go with a 250f, and you will smoke your quad friends in drag races too.

Yea on quads its not as intimidating to use a whole lot of throttle as on a bike, I would go with a 250f, and you will smoke your quad friends in drag races too.

ya i hope so because i go to glamis alot is a 250 go in the dunes

For the dunes get a 450, throw on a paddle, and enjoy the power.

At 140 pounds a 250f is plenty for a begginer, even in the dunes.

If your a trail ride a 250f would a good way to go . The 450 is alot of bike to start on , for trail or mx .

FO FIDDY......It's a lot of bike for you,go with the 250f then get the 450.:ride:

Get the 450. Don't waste your time or money with a 250 (even though they are nice bikes.) If you're going to be riding sand (I ride trails and MX) and you plan on keeping the bike for a while (assuming the bike is one that was well maintained, if you buy used, and you didn't get a POS from someone) I wouldn't go through the hassle of buying and reselling a bike just to get to the 450. I write that because I was someone who did just that. I started on a 230 (much tamer than a 250) and went straight to the 450 after the first year of riding. I didn't have any problem selling the 230, I was a little disappointed in myself for not starting with a better suited bike (for me.) I'm not saying you'd be "wrong" getting the 250 first...just giving you some insight on my experience.

The most important thing to remember is it's not how much power the bike has, but how you use it. Heck, technically, just about any person with some offroad experience and enough leg length could ride a big bike like the 450 or CR500...AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T FREAKIN' STUPID. Just because those bikes will eat just about every other dirt vehicle out there for breakfast, doesn't mean you have to feed it that much from the git-go. Take your time and go easy with it. Get to know it and how it reacts. I agree with joman2055 COMPLETELY as far as the "puttin' you on your ass quick..." comments. The bike will absolutely do that. But...if you're patient with yourself, set the bike up correctly for you, and TAKE YOUR TIME, you'll do great with it.

The only way I'd consider the 250 is if your funds are extrememly limited (it's not terribly much more for 450) or if all of your riding is going to be very tight trails. The 250 would be much better suited for tight terrain as it is lighter, but still has good power in the trees (especially at your weight.) Also, if you think you'd go that way, get the 250X.

My two cents. No matter what, good luck on whatever you get!

when i turned 16 i got my 250f and since i rode quads my whole life i figured it was gonna be a piece of cake. :ride: I was on crutches for a week.:cripple: the twist throttel ,even though it seems pretty simple, was a hard concept to get used to,:bonk: and at first i always felt like i was gonna fall when i turned.:eek: but once i got off my crutches and took another shot at it, this time with a little more respect for the bike :worthy::ride::worthy: it worked out rather well and now i ride almost every day. So pretty much what im saying is even the 250 is gonna feel real fast at first but once you get used to it you should be ok. If your goin strait for the 450, i would eather practice on someone elses bike thats a little smaller befor hoppin on yours, or be extremely light on the throttle because it will rip you apart.

Have you tried either one? Do that first, if you can try some. If you ride Glamis mainly, sand is hard on bikes, lots of maintenance. Have you thought of a 250 2-stroke easier on the wallet at your age. You can get some amazing deals on them and a top end is not a life threatening experience. That being said the info in this thread is good, all bikes will hurt you if you are not smart about it. My 22 yr old started on a 2 stroke and he is learning very fast. He gets on my 450 and he is scary. He would probably blow up a 250f fast. He is the type of kid who tried everything first without thought. His nickname was "Hospital" growing up. So if you can go slow[smart] about it get a 450. Just my opinion. :usa:

A CRF 450R is a good starter bike the same way that a Ferrari Enzo is a good first car for a teenager. It can be done, but things that all involed are going to regret will happen.:cripple:

A CRF 250R is at least the equivalent of a Subaru WRX (if going with the same analogy). Easier to drive, but still way faster than necessary.

That is still way better than a Yugo (one of the Chinese knock off 'pit bikes' you buy at the auto parts store).

I'll have to Agree with everyone else, While you can do it, Its not strongly advised.

Ahhh in the dunes...450, just ease on to the throttle at first but I've heard 450s are beautiful in the dunes.

I agree is your sand riding, get the 450f. If you doing moistly dirt tracks then 250f is perfect. Your fricken light dude.. 450f are more suited for the 170+ lbs. But your height, probably be alot more comfortable on the bigger bike. Just take up a diet of cheeseburgers for the next month. JUST KIDDING!

i would go with the 250. coming off of quads you are gona want to grab a whole bunch of throttle like you can on a 4 wheeler. a 450 will put you on your ass quick fast and in a hurry if you do that. i would go with a 250 they are plenty fast. my 450 is like a carnival ride. and the cr500...well thats just insane.

Yup. Especially the CRF450. The Honda has smooth delivery, but can also be a wicked wicked machine that WILL launch a new rider. At a buck 40 you'll be better suited on the 250. Upgrade later on when experience & talent dictate.

Get the 450. Don't waste your time or money with a 250 (even though they are nice bikes.) If you're going to be riding sand (I ride trails and MX) and you plan on keeping the bike for a while (assuming the bike is one that was well maintained, if you buy used, and you didn't get a POS from someone) I wouldn't go through the hassle of buying and reselling a bike just to get to the 450. I write that because I was someone who did just that. I started on a 230 (much tamer than a 250) and went straight to the 450 after the first year of riding. I didn't have any problem selling the 230, I was a little disappointed in myself for not starting with a better suited bike (for me.) I'm not saying you'd be "wrong" getting the 250 first...just giving you some insight on my experience.

The most important thing to remember is it's not how much power the bike has, but how you use it. Heck, technically, just about any person with some offroad experience and enough leg length could ride a big bike like the 450 or CR500...AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T FREAKIN' STUPID. Just because those bikes will eat just about every other dirt vehicle out there for breakfast, doesn't mean you have to feed it that much from the git-go. Take your time and go easy with it. Get to know it and how it reacts. I agree with joman2055 COMPLETELY as far as the "puttin' you on your ass quick..." comments. The bike will absolutely do that. But...if you're patient with yourself, set the bike up correctly for you, and TAKE YOUR TIME, you'll do great with it.

The only way I'd consider the 250 is if your funds are extrememly limited (it's not terribly much more for 450) or if all of your riding is going to be very tight trails. The 250 would be much better suited for tight terrain as it is lighter, but still has good power in the trees (especially at your weight.) Also, if you think you'd go that way, get the 250X.

My two cents. No matter what, good luck on whatever you get!

good idea but its so easy to just twist the throttle on one of these. then :cripple:

All great comments! All of them are right! In a perfect world, I totally agree that you should "step up" when it comes to bikes rather than go straight to the monster. I guess I was just looking at it more from a financial perspective and going through the buying/selling/buying game.

No matter what, you won't go wrong with a 250 or 450...both are fantastic bikes. Just make sure you get the bike that will do what you want it to do. It's not always about the "power." There are plenty of dudes out there that can take a 125 and smoke someone on their 450.

The best advice above is the one recommending you get on these bikes before buying if you can. You can get on any 250/450 to get an idea of the raw power. They're all going to feel the same from the perspective of a newb test rider. At least that way you can "feel" the difference between the two.

Do NOT go with the 450. Way too much power for a first bike, especially if you decide to ride technical tracks or trails when you are not in the dunes. And to the dude who said he started on a 230, a 230 is not even a real mx bike, that is a toy!! You would be surprised if you had given the 250F a try, there is no comparison! I'm begging the kid who started this thread, please do not buy the 450, the 250F has way enough power to pull you and excite you too! Plus if you decide to ride any mx tracks at all, you will be setting yourself up for much more success than if you had the 450. The people on here know what they are talking about (for the most part) and as you can see, the 250F gets the most votes from most people who posted here and it got them for a reason. Enjoy the 250F when you get it, thank us later!