I want more power from my ktm 450 xc

I think the power is roughly the same, just gets to the ground in a different way. The YZ is a MX bike remember, the XC is an offroad bike. Some gearing mike make it hit a little harder, but really it will take some time in the saddle and I bet your lap or section times will come down.

I have recentley traded my 03 yzf450 for an 06 ktm 450 xc and im dissapointed about the power,it has an aftermarket fmf pipe.what can i do,that doesnt cost thousands(i.e 525 cams etc)to give it more launch!!I LOVE ELECTRIC STARTS THOUGH!!:crazy:

Check out HTRacing.com. I installed their pipe and power vane and the bike barks like a CRF, it should meet your needs.

BTW, I too came off a 04 yz450 before my KTM and I'll never go back. I'm thinking that the 08 505xc might be my next bike. Waiting on the test reviews.

As an off road bike as opposed to a MX bike it has heavier flywheel to make the bike more tractable;

MX bike is intended to be ridden on a track with loose loamy soild where traction is generally predictable. You hammer the throttle, tire spining and back end hung out. to make that work they use very light flywheel so the engine is ultra responsive, a blast in that loose loamy stuff, a nighmare on hard slimmy surface.

Of Road the soil is seldom loose & loammy, more apt to be hard pack, greasy or mud all of which you have little idea of how much traction you have so they use a heavy flywheel/crank to calm the power application.

You can make the XC a lot more like a MX bike buy getting the ignition for a 450SX. You need the flywheel, stator and cover. Additionally you could get the black box which controls spark advance. This will make the engine about 1/2 way between the mud slopping power application it has not and a full MX bikes application

No swapping to the 525. The 450 XC is the short stroke motor and does not take the big bore top ends (EXC, and MXC are long stroke motors). There are ways to bore them out but 480 (ish) cc is as large as you want to go with that motor. A lighter flywheel (Trail Tech), a HT pipe, ignition upgrades, and a high compression pistion are the hot setup to get snappier power.

CoKTM

The non SX model KTM's just dont make for a good "Hooligan" bike. Those monster long power wheelies down the street in front of your house that came so easily on your past MX'ers are not really the KTM Enduro programme' forte.

I was disapointed with my 2007 525 EXC at first as it felt weak on the street in front of my house and even weaker in the field. I thought I was getting the ultimate in "Hooliganism" Machinery able to ride 5th gear wheelies down fire roads and generally just cause a power infused ruckus!

Hmmm...Not so. Only after purchasing my KTM did I realize that I had a machine capable of conquering some of the Slickest,Nastiest,Root infestedist Rocky as all get up terrain that the big man upstairs could ever concieve of.

Only then did the lack of big huge wheel standing power make sense. I bought a bike designed to compete and win in the most grueling enduro events in the world...And to do that it needed? A soft bottom with no hit...None. Zero. Zilch. Electric Torque. No snap. And I ride at 9K-10K elevation on a regular basis? Yikes talk about power loss.

It makes sense now and instead of practicing my hooliganism exploits I now work on trail technique and obstacle crossing ability.Thats what guys my age do on KTM's in Colorado.

But just because there is a wee-bit of Moto-Mayhen still left in my 40 year old body.

I bought all black plastic and I'm ditching the European Enduro man Orange. So I can at least look like a "Hooligan"!

On my 400 XCW I went looking for the same fix. I installed a lighter flywheel (about 25%) from Trail Tech and made some more adjustments to the carb per James Dean. I've seen a huge difference in response. The flywheel was relatively inexpensive. The installation took about 45 minutes.

are your lap times actually slower? or you just want the raw hard-to-control feel of more power even if it causes you to ride slower?

I totally agree with this, i dont think there is anyone that is not hampered by the stock 450 power other than top riders and pros. It took me a long time to figure out that the 450s where costing me time then i went to a 400exc and gained time then to a 250F and gained more time.lol I just road wiht a c rider this weekend that was on a (guess what) a 450exc (new) had a hard time trying not to hurt his feelings, he just couldnt figure how i could go so fast on a little 250F.LOL HP is way over rated. i dont see any reason for a under B level rider getting anything bigger than a 400 4t or 250 2t.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 450 XC-W which could use a little more HIT (just a little). Comes with a 14t-50T.

Would your suggestion of a 52T rear give me that hit? Would a 51T no make a big enough difference?

THX

Go to the 52 tooth sprocket in the rear. It actually makes quite a big difference.?

I have a 2007 450 XC-W which could use a little more HIT (just a little). Comes with a 14t-50T. I do half desert trails and half motocross track.

Would your suggestion of a 52T rear give me that hit? Would a 51T no make a big enough difference?

THX

I have a 2007 450 XC-W which could use a little more HIT (just a little). Comes with a 14t-50T. I do half desert trails and half motocross track.

THX

A 52 will definatly give it more of a "hit" buy you will be shifting more.

put the lighter trail tech flywheel (-7oz) on it for more snap