05 WR 450 Questions

So I ordered the DJ Kit, thanks to the Jetting Data Base. I also ordered the AIS Kit and plan to modify the air box. I was going to order the unifilter, but was wondering about the K&N filter and if anyone is running this expensive air filter? Also I was thinking of a full exhaust, because I don't like the looks of the head pipe on my WR (it's looking a little ragged from the previous owner). Is anyone here running the Dr. D set up and if so how do you like it and how loud is it? Also has anyone changed out there stock speedo to the trail tech speedo and how hard was the change out? And my last question is on the radiator there are a pair of white plastic ? what ever you call them, is there any aftermarket parts available? I've seen radiator braces, would these take there place? Sorry for so many question, but I'm excited on cleaning this thing up and taking her out...

Hey M.E.

I did the the AIS only and using the jet that came with it. I live in so cal and ride anywhere from sea level to aprx 4K ft. and never burps on me. removed the cork in the stock pipe, a full exhaust system is better however i'm ok with the stock one. air filters are your own opinion, K&N, Twin, Uni. IMO, all the same, just clean them after every ride and replace once a year or so, maybe not the K&N?. Looking to get the trail tech soon also. A good buy. The WR is very dificult to get white plastic or any other color for that matter. front fender no biggie, rear fender, use the YZ and have dremmil drill handy to cut out some perferated sections of the plastic. No biggie, I did it on my buddies wr250, the shrouds are another problem, I don't remember seeing anything in white. Go to your local decal dealer and have all white decals made up? I like all blue myself and even bought a blue IMS tank. My buddies say how will I know my feul capacity? and tell them "I'll just look at yours". Woops jumped off the subject, anyway, good luck. :ride:

Moto,

I did the same as Dube2. I live in California, do the same riding, and did the same to my bike(AIS w/ jet, uncorked). I replaced the fork guards and side panels for blue ones. I also swapped out the rear fender for a YZF and swapped out the tank for an Acerbis 3.3, also blue. I just put on a Skin Industries graphics kit, ment for a '03-05 YZF450(fits great). I installed a pair of Unabiker radiator guards(which include braces), check them out. They have them in the ThumperTalk store for $95 I think. As far as jetting, I will get more into it after I change the exhaust(to White Bros). Have fun. :ride:

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

That looks good, but have 2 questions? What did you do with the coolant reservoir on the left rear panel and what size tank do you have 3.3? When I looked at the tank available it says 6.6 gal at 289.00 for an 05 wr 450f???

So I ordered the DJ Kit, thanks to the Jetting Data Base. I also ordered the AIS Kit and plan to modify the air box. I was going to order the unifilter, but was wondering about the K&N filter and if anyone is running this expensive air filter? Also I was thinking of a full exhaust, because I don't like the looks of the head pipe on my WR (it's looking a little ragged from the previous owner). Is anyone here running the Dr. D set up and if so how do you like it and how loud is it? Also has anyone changed out there stock speedo to the trail tech speedo and how hard was the change out? And my last question is on the radiator there are a pair of white plastic ? what ever you call them, is there any aftermarket parts available? I've seen radiator braces, would these take there place? Sorry for so many question, but I'm excited on cleaning this thing up and taking her out...

I have an 05 with the jetting kit. I ride in the socal desert and mountains. I use a 168 main, 48 pilot and the red needle 4th position. Its pretty darn good for me. I do not use that expensive air filter. The stock air filter works pretty good for me. I'm not missing anything that I know of.

I have a fmf factory 4 full system with a powerbomb head pipe. but quite honestly, just the slip on is good enough. The factory head pipe, while ugly, works just fine and is durable. Just get another one off of ebay.

I also have the trail tech. Its pretty easy to switch out the stock. Be sure to lube and cap off the spedo gear on the wheel to stop dirt from getting in there. I recently put the stock odometer back on in addition to the trail tech. I ride enduro's like the big display on the stock odometer. On the trail tech, you have to mount the pickup sensor to the brake caliper. My advice to you is to use a little bit of silicone adhesive to hold the pickup sensor in place. I just put the one screw there and the sensor moves just a little. when it moves, everything goes wacky and my milege gets off. So use two screws or put a little glue on it.

I hope you got a skid plate. You will need it. Its a fun bike.

That looks good, but have 2 questions? What did you do with the coolant reservoir on the left rear panel and what size tank do you have 3.3? When I looked at the tank available it says 6.6 gal at 289.00 for an 05 wr 450f???

The coolant reservoir is mounted in the factory location, you can see a little bit of it in the third pic. I have the 3.3 tank, purchased through www.motosport.com for $199.99 total. :ride:

OMG BB, where did you find the blue side panels and fork guards?, been looking for two years! I love them. Are they from the YZ? I thought the YZ pplastic was different? Whatever you did to get them, let me know. I'm really jazzed to see em. Hey Moto, Sorry for the Hijack. FYI: I have an 05

OMG BB, where did you find the blue side panels and fork guards?, been looking for two years! I love them. Are they from the YZ? I thought the YZ pplastic was different? Whatever you did to get them, let me know. I'm really jazzed to see em. Hey Moto, Sorry for the Hijack. FYI: I have an 05

NP, that's cool. This is where we all share info.:blah::prof::ride:

OMG BB, where did you find the blue side panels and fork guards?, been looking for two years! I love them. Are they from the YZ? I thought the YZ pplastic was different? Whatever you did to get them, let me know. I'm really jazzed to see em.

Dube2,

Thanks, I think it looks better all blue too. :ride: The fork guards are UFO (purchased from www.motosport.com for $29.99, item #U-YZ-FS-BL-05). They say they are for the WR, but actually for the YZF. They fit just fine, but don't have the groove for the speedo cable like factory ones. I notched a small piece out of the bottom for the cable to go through and drilled small holes going up it to attach the cable inside, using zip ties(will attach a pic for a visual). The side panels are UFO also, purchased from Thumper Talk for $56.69. I just looked and Thumper Talk also sells the blue fork guards, and for less($24.29) than Motosport. Only thing is Motosport doesn't charge tax and if you spend over $100, free shipping and it's fast! The YZF fender is a plus also. You have to cut a couple small holes, but it's already marked for you, easy to do and perfect fit. Got that from Thumper Talk for $23.36(Acerbis), but I just found that UFO has the same one for $19.79. You could get all those things for $100 here(Thumper Talk store, good deal. Hope this helps, here's that pic...

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

Moto,

My skid plate is from Thumper Talk, their own brand(Product Code: BP_TT_SKID243), for $74.66. I think that's about average price for one anywhere. As far as I'm concerned, it should be one of the first things you invest in. A closer look... :ride:

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

BB thanks for all the info. helped out alot. One last question, where did you get the frame guard at?

Thanks

Moto,

No problem. I bought the WORKS frame guards at the same time as the skid plate, from Thumper Talk store for $58.50(#TR-340844). I see you're from Socal too, where do you ride at?

Blue Bleeder :ride: