Flat Tires

I just got my forth flat tire, three in the front and one in the back in the last year. Does anyone have any advice on specific brands of HD tubes or any other method or preventing flat tires? I have been using Bridgestone HD tubes. I was thinking about the tire balls but I can’t see spending $200 a tire. I have also been contemplating using a sealant like RideOn. Any advice would be much appreciated.

What tires are you running? What is causing your flats? Are you getting punctures or pinches?

Other than that, dezracerE pointed out that air pressure is critical.

I have been running Maxxis IT 120/100 rear tires with Maxxis tubes. No pinch flats to date. The tires are massive compared to previous dunlops but tend to rotate a little bit on the rim even with the rim lock cranked down. I think they have a looser bead.

I did see a product for bicycle rims that removed the tube and put a polymer in the tire. The website had a video of a guy stabbing the bike tires with a 1/4" leather punch and the tires would seal up in less than a second. The problems I see with this are that it may goop up a rim when you need to change tires and the liquid polymer could give high speed balance issues.

Here is the website. Check out the videos! http://stanstiresealant.com/puncture.php

For the record, I run the Bridgestone Ultra HD tubes when using any tire but the Michelin Deserts (my DS tires). For the Michelins, I use the Michelin HD tubes designed specifically for the tire. This is an expensive option, but the Michelin Desert/Baja casing is much larger and wider than most, and their tube is designed specifically to fit the casing (much like their mousse inserts are designed to fit the casings of the Starcross tires).

I will NOT run Kenda, MSR, etc. HD tubes. These tubes are not smooth on the outside like the Bridgestones. They are less money, but with the non-smooth surface they build up a tremendous amount of heat and wear out much faster.

A quality tire is just as much a part of flat tire prevention as well. The best tube in the world will do you no good if you have a cheap tire. A pinch flat is a pinch flat. Quality tires have much better internal construction (thus the higher price) that equates into less sidewall deflection and fewer flats. The rim protection lips built into the high quality tires (Dunlops have a great rim saver) give that little bit of extra cushion to help prevent pinching. I recently threw on a Shinko rear tire at the bequest of my dealer (he wanted an honest evaluation). That tire had no lip at all on the sidewall. It was tough to even tell if the bead was fully seated. Don't buy one of those tires.

I run the kenda heavy duty tubes, they survive 2 or 3 tires usually. if your getting so many flats on the front you need to run more pressure. I've gotten one front flat, I ran over some barbwire fence and it punched out the front tire.

I'm VERY good at getting pinch flats, I always run 2 or 3 PSI more pressure than other guys I ride with. so you have to tune your tire pressure to your bike/habits.

It's all about how hard you hit things. Bigger hits need more pressure. HD tubes only give you a little more protection against pinch flats.

These days I run no less than 15 psi. When I do that no pinch flats. I used to run less, but no more.

What do you other guys run?

As far as pinch flats go I don't believe that HD tubes make a difference. Hd tubes are obviously better for puncture flats like thorns, ect. The only thing that will stop a pinch flat is at least 15psi pressure and a tire with a thicker, harder sidewall. Desert tires are the best choice. Also tire height is a huge flat deterrent. That's why off-road (non-mx) bikes come with an 18" wheel. So they can run a tire with more height, allowing the rider to run less pressure with less the worry of pinch flats. I have a CRFr with a stock rear tire size of 110-90-19. I move up to the 120-90-19 if I'm riding desert or Baja for the wider footprint and increased tire height. I use the 120-80-19 for MX. If you can get a tire with more height to fit your bike. I think that's the best way to protect against pinches.

As far as pinch flats go I don't believe that HD tubes make a difference. Hd tubes are obviously better for puncture flats like thorns, ect. The only thing that will stop a pinch flat is at least 15psi pressure and a tire with a thicker, harder sidewall. Desert tires are the best choice. Also tire height is a huge flat deterrent. That's why off-road (non-mx) bikes come with an 18" wheel. So they can run a tire with more height, allowing the rider to run less pressure with less the worry of pinch flats. I have a CRFr with a stock rear tire size of 110-90-19. I move up to the 120-90-19 if I'm riding desert or Baja for the wider footprint and increased tire height. I use the 120-80-19 for MX. If you can get a tire with more height to fit your bike. I think that's the best way to protect against pinches.

very true!! When i was racing some desert up here i was still on my 19" tires but was running about 18 or so psi and Adelanto GP i use a tad less cuz theres not alot of rocks just some dirt to asphalt holes.

FWIW, the Dunlop D908RR front has the stiffest sidewalls of any off road tire I've ever experienced. It's incredibly stiff. It makes an MT21 feel like a bicycle tire. That's probably an exaggeration but I've got a used MT21 and a used D908RR in my garage and just felt them. The difference is dramatic.

I decided it was too stiff for my purposes. 10psi in the D908RR front felt like 15psi or more in just about ever other tire I've tried. The tire was designed for big, heavy bikes. It might work well for someone having trouble balancing tire pressure with pinch flat protection. :excuseme:

Dunlop says: "Designed specifically to cope with the speed, horsepower and weight of large-displacement rally-type dual-sport machines."

I think they're talking about 450 lbs bikes like the KTM950 Adventure or Paris-Dakar type rally racers.

I run 13-14 psi front and rear. Ride lots of rocks. Good tires with stiff sidewalls. I don't get pinch flats or little holes. I have run a 6 inch nail through a tire, but that would have screwed up anything. If I am going to a race, new tire = new tube. It is a 16hr drive for me to get to SoCal for a desert race, and I'm not going to waste a trip by getting a flat using an old tube. I'll take the new tube out after the race and put an old tire and tube back on to trash at home.

i run 15 front, and 18 rear, when all my riding buddy's on the same tires run 14/15 with same tires. but when I did that I got a lot of flats. I just hit stuff harder than some people, not that I'm faster, just hit it harder.

Tell your friends it is because you are more of a man. You ride THROUGH the rocks, not AROUND them!?

Thanks for all the input - for the record I ride in mostly rocky woods – Arrowhead area and KM. I have got one puncture, two pinches and lost a valve stem. I have been running between 10-12 pounds with either the MSR or Bridgestone HD version. I went to Chaparral the other day and bought the UHD tube and a new rim lock. The salesman suggested going up to about 14 pounds and to consider using a tire with stronger side walls – like the Dunlop – what do you all think - thanks