btinaustin

Over 50 and still motocross?

51 posts in this topic

My wife asked me how long I might continue to motocross, and how old some of the older motocrossers may be. I'm over 50 and still love motocross and trail riding. I'm not doing large jumps, or constantly racing, but I love the exercise and challenge. I think I will be trail riding longer than motocross, but was wondering how some of the older riders are doing out there!

1 person likes this

I moto w/ a guy that's over 50. He's faster than me (we're both mid/upper mid-pack riders) and does just fine.

1 person likes this

Be 51 this year, still riding and racing occasional hare scrambles.:ride:

2 people like this

Still at it and I'm 57. Plenty of Vet races out there and one of my racing buddies is 71 and still racing mx regularly.

I have no plans to quit. Ever.

Do the RacerX Senior Series events and you have full start gates in the +50 class.

2 people like this

50 is only 6 years away for me. The way the last 6 clicked by, I imagine it won't feel that long before I get there. Planning to ride into my 50's but only the future will tell. I'm having fun getting there. :thumbsup:

rv1b.jpg

1 person likes this

I don't race moto, but the Senior Class in our HS series(40-49) has about 60 guys at the starting line, the Super Senior(50-59) only has about 6. Seems that racing gets hard for most after around 50. I got 3 years to the Super Senior, but assuming I stay in shape I'll be out there.

Doesn't Dr. Mark still race moto?

My hats off to the old guys who still take big jumps. :worthy:

1 person likes this

My uncle is over 60 and he still hare scrambles and moto's. He doesn't jump anything huge and rides a ported 125, but still goes just fine.

Just be smart about it and have fun.

1 person likes this

Well, I'm only 36, but maybe you might have heard of a guy named Chuck "Feets" Minert. He started racing in 1947. That's right, 1947!!. He raced motocross (and almost everything else on 2 wheels) back when it was still called "scrambles". He's 76 years old, a retired firefighter, and still races every weekend at Glen Helen (if MXA isn't mistaken. BTW, he still tests rides for them occasionally).

I only hope I can still climb onboard a MX bike when I'm 76, let alone race the damned thing!!:worthy: :worthy:

1 person likes this

My brother just started at about 47 and is going strong. Also, a friend, 53, just got a 250f after a 20 year lay off from mx. He is clearing small doubles and trying new stuff. Both are getting faster and are really into it.

1 person likes this

I just turned 53, been riding since I was 15. And dont plan on quitting anytime soon.:ride:

1 person likes this

51 and still trail ride alot (2000+ miles a year). Started when I was 13 and will ride until I can't get on a bike. Ed

1 person likes this

Ill be 48 this year....and have ridden with many guys 50 and over.....Its all how ya feel, age is just a number.

I don't race moto, but the Senior Class in our HS series(40-49) has about 60 guys at the starting line, the Super Senior(50-59) only has about 6. Seems that racing gets hard for most after around 50.

The Missouri series has a number of super seniors. They are all pretty darned fast and a number of them are well over 60.

1 person likes this

There is a guy in our old timers club that I believe is 74 years old and still heavily involved in racing. He races against Feets in the world vet races.

1 person likes this

...Seems that racing gets hard for most after around 50.
It sure feels that way.

Expect to train more just to maintain your fitness, injuries take longer to recover from (and more and more pains never seem to go away), and the little voice that keeps reminding you, "You have to go to work Monday", will make you think twice about "going big".

Still, I'm pretty sure charging (relatively) around a track or ping-ponging through the woods never looses its appeal. :ride:

1 person likes this

It's good to know you can enjoy a sport that is this much fun, into your 70's. Guess I just better make sure I keep paying those health care premiums, even though this sport should keep me in great shape. Thanks for the feedback.

1 person likes this

My Super Senior Friend (55) And I (47) Are Doing Our 2nd. Hare Scramble In Oct. I Hope Like Hell It's Easier Than The 1st. One.,maybe This Time We'll Put Down Our Beers The Night Before A Little Earlier Than 2:00 Am. (that Might Help?)

1 person likes this

There is a guy in our old timers club that I believe is 74 years old and still heavily involved in racing. He races against Feets in the world vet races.

Would that be Zoli Beryni (sp?) from Edmonton? Feets is Zoli's only competition, but Zoli is quite a bit faster. Feets is a bit older at around 76.

It must be emabarassing being smoked by guys approaching 80.:eek:

I'll be 50 next month. I have ridden with some older guys and they can fly through woods. I'm loving riding after being off for 20 years. I'll probably keep going until i can;t but right now its great