Sign in to follow this  

ktm 144 coming from crf450

For all of you who have a ktm 144 or have riden one, whats your honest thoughts about them. I currently have a 06 crf 450 but want a 144 in the worst way. For the simple fact that i have way more fun riding a 125 type bike than a big 4 stroke. Granted yes im way faster on a thumper, but i have no fun on them. Im never going to be pro, just want to have fun. Im about 5'10 and 125 pounds and ride 125 and or 250b, just curious to get some thoughts about the bike. thanks guys.

Adam

I went from a 450 to a 250f and actually thing I got a bit faster on the smaller bike. From the 250f I went to the 144 and will likely never go back. Its just too much fun having that extra bit of power over the 250f and the bike being a lot less weight.

I had to get used to more shifting going from the 450 to the 250. But going from the 250 to 144 wasn't a big deal other than the added penalty for being lazy and not downshifting. I'm just under 200lbs if that helps any.

im wonderibng the same thing, i am having to get rid of my 250f ans was looking at the 144 or the 125, im never going pro so i want to have fun like i did on the 85s:thumbsup: oh ya im about 168, 5'9 and ride 125 junior class

I rode the KX450F last year and sold it well traded it for a CR500 for the dunes. I did rebuild my KX125 into a KX134 and it flat out rips and I'm not afraid to ride it on the pipe after riding the 450F. I wouldn't mind having a 144 and maybe someday will have one. I will never go back to the thumper.

For all of you who have a ktm 144 or have riden one, whats your honest thoughts about them. I currently have a 06 crf 450 but want a 144 in the worst way. For the simple fact that i have way more fun riding a 125 type bike than a big 4 stroke. Granted yes im way faster on a thumper, but i have no fun on them. Im never going to be pro, just want to have fun. Im about 5'10 and 125 pounds and ride 125 and or 250b, just curious to get some thoughts about the bike. thanks guys.

Adam

i want a 144. bad.

not saying the 144s dont get up and go, but after riding a 450 the 144 wont seem like tat much bike. not that ive ridden either, just a guess.

The 144SX is a blast to ride. The agility and lightweight feeling combined with very strong mid to top power makes the bike super fun to ride and throw around. You will have to shift more and it does not have as wide of a powerband as a 250F but when you get the thing on the pipe it pulls hard. 199lbs without gas and around 41 hp at the rear wheel is a rare combination when it comes to production bikes. I had the 144SX and 450SXF at the same time and even after jumping off the 450SXF the 144 was very fun and still felt quick. The 144 is just so light and agile! Great bike:ride:

DSCN6552.jpg

i just came off a 05 yz250f,and now have the 144.I love the 144, alot more fun to ride and pulls harder up top.but i do miss the low end.on the track ill take the 144,trail 250f.only because you can save your self on the 250f if you come up on something fast and you need to pop the front end up.If your not on the pipe on the 144 your screwed.

i just came off a 05 yz250f,and now have the 144.I love the 144, alot more fun to ride and pulls harder up top.but i do miss the low end.on the track ill take the 144,trail 250f.only because you can save your self on the 250f if you come up on something fast and you need to pop the front end up.If your not on the pipe on the 144 your screwed.

A flywheel weight from Sthealy will tame down the wheel spin and plant the rear tire into the ground. I put a 13ozer on my 5hundy and it tract's like the 450 used to and for $101.00 it was worth every penny.

Wow, if there was ever a post for me..Im currently a 150lb 250b rider on a crf450 and just went to get approved for financing on a 08 144... I cant wait to be back on a 2 stroke:ride:

When I had my 03 525sx I sold it and went to a 04 125sx. Then I went to a cr 250 sold that to get a 05 yz 125 then got a 06 yz250f and am now on a 08 yz 125

What ever it is I just love 125's I came really close to getting a 08 144sx

Adam

If you ride to have fun (like me) and aren't a racer I don't see why you are on a such a huge bike for your weight? Im about 6' 200lbs and my cousin's 07' 144 hauls ass with me on it! It is so light, like a mountain bike with an engine. The bike has 6 gears so you have a gear for whatever situation your in. It is really hard to tell you how powerful that bike is, you just have to ride it. Its more than enough for me.

The bike is so smooth too. Its also ultra quiet (like most 2ts) I can barely hear his bike from like 70ft away. It might take you a minute to get used to the 2t since your used to the 4t. The bike likes to be ridden hard and you need to use different techniques.

If my cousin's bike hauled so well with me on it I can only imagine how nice that thing would be for such a light dude like you.:thumbsup: Go for it and never look back!:ride:

41 RWHP? Sorry pal, I'd need a dyno graph to believe that. I'd love to have that bike as my MX bike though! I think the 250 is fine for me though....

I can belive that. Ive herd the new ktm 125 makes more hp than any 250f (somewhere around 37?) I think they could get a few more hourses out of the 144.

I ride MX on a Ktm 450sxf in the 30+B and 40+B. Last week one of the cam holders cracked. The bike is at the dealer and they are taking care of it. So, while I am waiting for that to be repaired, I am picking up a 2008 144sx on friday. It has been years since I have been on a 125. I am not sure how this is going go after riding the 450s for the last few years but I can wait to give it a try. Anyway, if it does not work for me, my son will be ready to get off his 85 in about a year and I can keep it for him. I will post the results after the weekend.

41 RWHP? Sorry pal, I'd need a dyno graph to believe that. I'd love to have that bike as my MX bike though! I think the 250 is fine for me though....

Yea that is old 250 power, definitely not making those numbers.

Why does 41 RWHP seem hard to believe? The factory 125s were making at least that and a big bore version shouldn't be that far off:excuseme:.

You're right, I've read a fe things claiming the '03 and '04 200SX @ 38 HP stock and the new 144SX can be 40 RWHP out of the crate.

So.... That thing is NASTY!!! Have fun!

Well, I picked up the 08 144sx on friday and rode it over the weekend. Coming off the 450, it took some time to adjust my riding style. Once I started to ride it right, I was going pretty good. It is so light that it just seems to skim over nasty stuff and fly over jumps so easily. The engine rips but the tracks that I ride on are sandy so I might try a 52 tooth on the rear and see how that feels. The bike handles great. I am 200lbs no gear so I put a 66-250 on the rear and .44s in the forks. That felt pretty good but it still needs to break in before I can really tell.

I plan on racing it this weekend. I race in the vet classes so it is going to be interesting to see how I do against all those 450s.

Well, I picked up the 08 144sx on friday and rode it over the weekend. Coming off the 450, it took some time to adjust my riding style. Once I started to ride it right, I was going pretty good. It is so light that it just seems to skim over nasty stuff and fly over jumps so easily. The engine rips but the tracks that I ride on are sandy so I might try a 52 tooth on the rear and see how that feels. The bike handles great. I am 200lbs no gear so I put a 66-250 on the rear and .44s in the forks. That felt pretty good but it still needs to break in before I can really tell.

I plan on racing it this weekend. I race in the vet classes so it is going to be interesting to see how I do against all those 450s.

lol cant wait to hear it:thumbsup: