Sign in to follow this  

which oil to use if....

Lets just say for the sake of emergency you had to buy oil from the local auto parts store because your dealer was closed or too far to drive just to get oil. Which oil would be best from the local auto parts store to use in your DRZ?

Thanks,

db

p.s. I am not trying to start a which is best oil thread, just a which is best under these circumstances oil thread :excuseme:

Dave, what oils does the auto parts sell? "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if....."

Many of the synthetics are common, even in walmart.

Me? I keep a stock of the oil of my preference. I buy a case at a time, once the case is 1/2 or more consumed, I get a second case. Same with filters and other consumables. I always keep a few on hand and order more when my stock gets low.

Me? I keep a stock of the oil of my preference. I buy a case at a time, once the case is 1/2 or more consumed, I get a second case. Same with filters and other consumables. I always keep a few on hand and order more when my stock gets low.

:thumbsup:

I have filters and even a new drain plug gasket but have to drive 60 miles round trip to get to any motorcycle dealers. Just thought maybe the auto parts places had a quality dino motorcycle oil. I am still using regular oil for now...

Thanks,

db

Do you get your drain plug gaskets from the dealer or online?

Rotella T would be my first choice

Edit - Actually... many auto parts stores will carry moto specific oils. My first choice would be Mobil 1 - MX4T.. of course, its not Dino oil.

I get all the parts online (TT OEM store or Ron Ayers), dealer for me is an hour away too. By being proactive, I order stuff before I need it in anticipation thereby making a stock worthwhile.

Well, I just called the dealer and he doesn't have the drain plug washers in stock either but he has oil :applause: I usually stock stuff in advance too but didn't think I would get 600 miles on it so quick :thumbsup: I changed it at 50 so I have 550 miles on the oil. It will get changed this weekend...

Is the Ron Ayers part number for the 2005 DRZ400S the same as for current on the drain plug washer? #09168-12002

Thanks,

db

Personal preference on where to get everything from, I'd say. Im more partial to the dealers to support the local biz, face to face / human interaction, and some can work with you. Thats probably because I worked at a dealership for so many years though, too.

regardless, I have nothing against either, they all need the $! Plus, there are the good and bad sites and dealers. If you're that far from a dealer, the net may be the way to go.

Diesel Oil. it has no friction modifiers and extra anti wear additives, just like motorcycle oil.

Many auto supply stores such as Autozone carry motorcycle/atv oil for those that need it in a pinch.It may not be your brand(Valvoline I think) but it'll set your mind at ease if you're overly concerned about it.

My local Autozone carries full synthetic Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Its what I run and it does the job. Smooth shifts. I'll send it off for testing at 1000 miles or so and see where it is at. Would like to change it every 2k if possible.

Diesel Oil. it has no friction modifiers and extra anti wear additives, just like motorcycle oil.

:thumbsup:

Rotella T 15w-40

(Dino oil.)

Seriously available, and seriously good oil.

Low price, too.

I've seen too many performance problems in powerstrokes cured by simply switching from rotella to motorcraft oil.

Couldnt recomend rotella to anyone I liked...

F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead

'nuff said.

You do know that motorcraft is owned by Ford?

Just as AC Delco is GM?

Rotella rules. I wouldn't use the Suzuki oil. I have an old dragstrip bike I ride around on occasionally, and it has a sufferin' clutch. I can tell you that Rotella's wet clutch friendly additives are far better than the Suzuki 10w-40 which made the clutch slip. It didn't slip, as if it was using some cheapo friction modified car oil, but it did slip more than with the Rotella.

But, whatever... I couldn't care less if your clutch slips. Maybe get a Ducati with a dry clutch, then you'll be able to enjoy a little clutchsmoke.

I've seen too many performance problems in powerstrokes cured by simply switching from rotella to motorcraft oil.

Couldnt recomend rotella to anyone I liked...

I currently run Rotella in my company power stroke, my son's Katana, my DRZ, and Rotella Syn in my ST 1300. If you don't like Rotella I'm sure Delvac or Super Tech diesel oils sold at Wal Mart would work just fine.