Anyone try a "new" 110/100-18 Terraflex tire?

Normally I only run DOT knobbies, but I'm planning on a ride to Vegas from my home to my buddies home. It will include about 100 miles of pavement and I'm thinking of DOT tires for the ride. It is not going to be a trail ride, more just blasting down desert dirt roads. The total mileage will be near 700. I was thinking of getting something less aggressive like a Kenda K270 and just tossing it after the ride, but it would be nice to get a real knobby that might still get a little trail use after this trip.

Has anyone tried one of the 110/100-18 Terraflex tires on a pig? I have seen plenty of reports on the older super wide 140/80-18 Terraflex. I have not seen much on the 110/100-18 size.

Anyone used one? How does it compare with a D606 or other DOT knobbies?

I tried the tarra flex. Probably the worst tire I have ever run. It was the stiffest tire I have ever seen, and as expected, the knobs broke off in about two rides.

Agreed, the TERRACRAP WAS THE SINGLE WORST TIRE EVER PURCHASED... Mine broke off on the first ride........Get a Maxxis IT or HT, I ran those tires on the street and had very good results.........wear wise

It was a terrible day when they started making them in China.

I did horrible, horrible things to mine and it took it like a champ. Passed a bunch of harley guys on the interstate at 80 with low pressure in it, and I thought they were going to get seasick from the weaving, but it didn't do one thing to the tire. Never broke a knob off, not on pavement, not on nasty connecticut sharp-edged baby-heads and larger.

Crap Crap Crap.

Dave

I have the 150/90 on my Husky right now. It has two rides on it totaling about 80 miles. There is nothing left of it. I started with 14 psi and it was like riding on a flat. I put it up to 18 and it was a little better but still squirmy on the road and absolute zero traction. I broke traction in every corner and shifting first to second and even second to third. I read a previous post from like a year ago and it was mentioned that it needed a little break in period. I can see this maybe helping with the traction on the street because after about 15 miles or so of trying to keep it upright it started to grip a little better. I was then actually able pull the front tire up again. I am not convinced that a proper break in period would result in the knobbies staying attached to the tire though. The tire is ripped to shreds, very unhappy with my $85.00 in the toilet. That tire has cost me about $1.00 a mile to ride on. I think on something like a DR or an XR it might be alright. I read where a guy on a DR400 got over 5000 miles on one. Not on a 510 Husky. I want to send it back to MandH but I know they will do nothing except tell me it's the way I ride. I rode with $50.00 track masters all the time on my KX500 and on my WR500 and they never gave me this kind of problem. The tire is junk that's all there is to it.

I have the 150/90 on my Husky right now. It has two rides on it totaling about 80 miles. There is nothing left of it. I started with 14 psi and it was like riding on a flat. I put it up to 18 and it was a little better but still squirmy on the road and absolute zero traction. I broke traction in every corner and shifting first to second and even second to third. I read a previous post from like a year ago and it was mentioned that it needed a little break in period. I can see this maybe helping with the traction on the street because after about 15 miles or so of trying to keep it upright it started to grip a little better. I was then actually able pull the front tire up again. I am not convinced that a proper break in period would result in the knobbies staying attached to the tire though. The tire is ripped to shreds, very unhappy with my $85.00 in the toilet. That tire has cost me about $1.00 a mile to ride on. I think on something like a DR or an XR it might be alright. I read where a guy on a DR400 got over 5000 miles on one. Not on a 510 Husky. I want to send it back to MandH but I know they will do nothing except tell me it's the way I ride. I rode with $50.00 track masters all the time on my KX500 and on my WR500 and they never gave me this kind of problem. The tire is junk that's all there is to it.

It sounds to me like the US version was really good (used a few of 'em), and the chinese version is crap.

Interco, why, why, why?????? You killed my tire!

Dave

Normally I only run DOT knobbies, but I'm planning on a ride to Vegas from my home to my buddies home. It will include about 100 miles of pavement and I'm thinking of DOT tires for the ride. It is not going to be a trail ride, more just blasting down desert dirt roads. The total mileage will be near 700. I was thinking of getting something less aggressive like a Kenda K270 and just tossing it after the ride, but it would be nice to get a real knobby that might still get a little trail use after this trip.

Has anyone tried one of the 110/100-18 Terraflex tires on a pig? I have seen plenty of reports on the older super wide 140/80-18 Terraflex. I have not seen much on the 110/100-18 size.

Anyone used one? How does it compare with a D606 or other DOT knobbies?

I'm running a Teraflex 110/100-18 on my 650L, the only complaint I have is that for the first 100 miles or so it was a little slippery on the pavement, other than that it's been an excellent tire. I've got about 1000kms on it now and it's only about 1/4 worn. I've driven it on everything from pavement to pea sized gravel on top of chip seal and it handles exceptionally well for a Knobby. I bought it because I thought I'd be doing more dirt/trail riding this year, unfortunately that hasn't happened (my dirt buddy bailed on me). When it eventualy wears out I plan on replacing it with something a little less agressive so I can lean over a little more in the corners on the pave. :cheers:

A bunch of us up here in Canuck land are running the new made in the US 150 series and they are awesome. We run 2 rim locks and air down to about 4-5 pounds of air after initial break-in. The side walls are very hard but will soften up after about 200km. We run them on CR500 with 220lbs rider, DRZ400 with mods-230 lbs rider, WR450 with 180 lbs rider and heavily modded XR280R with 170 lbs rider. The guy that introduced us to the tire was the DRZ400 guy and he put 3500KM on his first one.(mostly steet use then) I have heard other stories about the badly made Chinese version, but the US one rocks!!

We have never come across a US tire chunking a knobby either.

Hope they don't stop making them in the US.

Cheers,

A bunch of us up here in Canuck land are running the new made in the US 150 series and they are awesome. We run 2 rim locks and air down to about 4-5 pounds of air after initial break-in. The side walls are very hard but will soften up after about 200km. We run them on CR500 with 220lbs rider, DRZ400 with mods-230 lbs rider, WR450 with 180 lbs rider and heavily modded XR280R with 170 lbs rider. The guy that introduced us to the tire was the DRZ400 guy and he put 3500KM on his first one.(mostly steet use then) I have heard other stories about the badly made Chinese version, but the US one rocks!!

We have never come across a US tire chunking a knobby either.

Hope they don't stop making them in the US.

Cheers,

They stopped making the US one as far as I know.

Dave

• 5 months later...

I do the Canadian Distribution on the Teraflex.

First, we will never see the steel belted tire back, ever.

Secondly, the 110's seem to chunk worse then the 150's but only the outside knobs. These are two VERY different tires, so don't mix them up.

The 150's are made in either the USA or China and it is a toss where they are coming from. There are molds in both places and a 150 wide 17" rear mold in the US that they haven't made any of in 10 years.

Honestly, I can't find a difference in the USA and China tires in how long they last or chunking. I have seen the 150's from China with 3000 miles of dirt/street use that are good for another 500 miles+.

I read that they are ABSOLUTELY the hardest tire ever to spoon onto or off of a rim. This guy loved them otherwise, but had a flat on the TAT and almost had to walk. He was barely able get it off his rim to make the repair after a monumental effort. He was well prepared and an experienced tire-changer too. He said he would never go into the bush with another one.

Tire changes being a pain in the neck enough already, I think I might have to avoid them for that reason alone. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

I ran a few Terraflex tires back in the 80's and 90's.

Hands down the hardest tire I have ever had the displeasure of replacing. About the only way to keep your sanity if you wanted to change one in the winter was to use a heat gun and warm up the sidewalls before you even thought of installing one.

If I remember correctly, the old US made versions were distributed by Dick Cepek. My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine from.

They're made in China now (every one I've seen lately has China stamped on the sidewall). The old US made ones lasted forever, I don't know about the commie ones.

They were great desert tires, unless you rode on hard pack, then it felt like you were riding on ice cubes and sliding all the time.