Sign in to follow this  

How many of u went from 450 to 250

Do you feel you are faster on the 250f, safer, more fun. Why did most make the transition??

Do you feel you are faster on the 250f, safer, more fun. Why did most make the transition??

The 450 is fun to ride but just too much power and wears you down to fast. The 250f is just alot more fun for me.

the power isnt the problem for me...its the weight...i cant corner the damn 450...i like the power actually i just cant keep my momentum in the corners...the weight of the 250 far out ways the lack of horsepower on n e track

My reasons EXACTLY ! I love my 250 ... much easier for me over the 450.

I do not miss the power. If you rise the 250 right, it has plenty of power.:busted:

the power isnt the problem for me...its the weight...i cant corner the damn 450...i like the power actually i just cant keep my momentum in the corners...the weight of the 250 far out ways the lack of horsepower on n e track

Ive never owned a 450 but ride my mates quite often.

I find (especially on trails ) that I can ride my 250 much quicker than the 450.

Also I like being able to race through the gears.

I had a 450 and liked the power, but on a track I was faster on my friends 250 so I bought a 250. I miss the 450 in the desert and I liked going to the dunes sometimes and do not want to do that on my 250.

I had a 450 when i rode alot of supercross style tracks. It made timing sections easier and coming out of corners real easy. But since then i have moved and now ride really tight tracks in the woods and only go to big tracks once in a while. I do miss the 450 at places like budds creek with it huge hills but i just deal with it. In my opinion the 250 is just a better all around bike and has served me well since the switch. However i would like to have both but the little lady thinks having 2 bikes is a waste of time. Another option is to put a la sleeve 400 kit in your 450. I rode one and it made a little easier to handle if you are having problems with to much power.

I had a 450 then added a 250F. I was riding the 250F nearly exclusively until a couple of weeks ago when I put it aside to give it a rest. Since I rode it SO MUCH, the 450 took a bit to re-familiarize myself w/. Where you can whack the 250F throttle, you can’t do the same on the 450 – unless you’re ready for it. It’s a riot switching between the two machines. It’s a lot easier to go from the 450 to the 250F; going the other way requires some self control at first, but it also impresses the hell out of you when you can once again realize what kind of guts the 450 has.

Faster on the 250F? On a tight track yes.

Safer? No such thing IMO. Parking them both would be safer. :lol:

More fun? I would say to a degree yes, but the 450 has it’s place and it’s fun too. I can certainly ride the 250F longer.

Why did I make the transition? To gain skill – it’s worked.

I have both as well. I like them both. The 250 doesn't wear me down and I can go a lot longer on it. However, the 450 out of the corners and on the uphills we have is superior and therefore my lap times on it are lower. We have 4 big hills on our track and it makes a difference. Also, not as much shifting on the 450 as on the 250. You can carry a higher gear out of corner on the 450. Like them both though and don't know which one I would give away first.

Also, not as much shifting on the 450 as on the 250. You can carry a higher gear out of corner on the 450.

I completely agree w/ that. To me, it's most notable on a tight track. WFO tracks shifting is less of an issue and top end becomes the factor. Nevertheless, the 250F is a blast to ride and still very serious fun. :devil:

Like them both though and don't know which one I would give away first.

It would be like trying to figure which of my boys I love the most.

you would be surprised...instead of making it easier it becomes more of a chore

I went from a KX250 to a 450F because it was so much easier to be fast and my endurance on the 450 was way better. It took a while to learn how to hang on at WOT in third 'cause it pulled so hard. Then one race I ran both a 250F and a 450. It was amazing how much easier it was to carry speed in the corners on the 250 and I could just basically ride a lot longer without tiring. The 450 gave me arm pump from hanging on and from the clutch heating up and taking up all freeplay during a moto. The 450 is gone, the 250F was upgraded(?) to a YZF and I probably won't be going back to the 450. YMMV.