Sign in to follow this  

How to build a jump...?

Well, now that im getting back into the biking thing i want to start doing some jumps. Now i havent rode alot since i was in my early teens about 10 years ago and always managed to kill myself on jumps back then...

Is their any technique to follow to build a jump? I dont want to make something thats going to help me smash up the new bike :eek:

Heres what i just pushed up with the bobcat, going to go home and get the bike in a little while and see if i cant kill myself on that... Im thinking it needs to be a bit higher and steeper though, looks to me like something that would want to send me over the bars....

Once i start getting it through my head that im not going to die i will start adding on to this thing :ride:

3006.jpg

Thats a whoop not a jump:p , yeah start small but bigger you go will require, some type of landing area:ride:

I built my track by Trial and alot of error. There is some good info on here about sx style jumps but, your best bet is go ride some tracks and you will learn alot by there jumps

That looks like a good starter jump it should help you build your confiedence and make you want to go bigger on the next one.

haha, ok im with matt. thats was a pretty lame jump... lol

after about 2 'go-arounds' on that i was sick of it...

So i started adding on a little bit, then a bit more, now i have this :

3008.jpg

Almost had a handlebar sandwich for dinner on the first try, was going a tad slow...

3009.jpg

Oh well, might go a bit bigger with it tonight. Trying to get the buddys over here on their quads and bikes to try it out.

The boss is going to KILL me for tearing up the yard :D

pack it in more, and build it taller. also, make the lip at least the length plus 1/2 of the bike length.

those rocks, scare me.

Sand? Your a mad man. Use a 3:1 ratio for your take offs. Say you want a jump 4 feet high, make it 12 feet long. 2.5:1 for a more supercross/advanced type face. Use your head with the landings make them safe. I like to add a little flat on top kinda like a table top, untill I have the jump nailed.

short steep jumps buck your rear end, this is where most people fall, a longer more mellow jump is where you want to learn. also the take off needs to be at least double the length of the bike with a gradual rise to the lip. Landings need to double the width and at least 1 and 1/2 the length of the lip. Good luck, you are so lucky to be able to ride in your back yard. Where I live you have to ride/drive at least a 1/2 hour to ride

We have built a small track here in Hungary just for the few of us to practice jumping.

we also got sand and sand. so we installed a wooden pallet into each lip section so the last 2 feet of the jump is made from the wood.

this way the lip does not need maintenance at all and it does not gets rutted up. I would strongly recommend it to any practice area, because the lips are always the same and you can easily adjust the angle of the jump if needed.

When you install the pallet into the lip, you fill the inside of the pallet with the dirt and pack it good, so it will remain in position and the wood does not get broken under the weight of the bike.

We got the first one installed about 9 months ago and it is still intact.

Only the area before the pallet needs to be filled up with dirt sometimes, when the hard acceleration makes ruts there.

Hope it helps you with this building project!

regards

Ferenc

looks good but with any speed your gonna be over jumping it, you should make the landing a bit bigger!

Its actually perfect for 1st gear, without winding it right out or anything it actually lands perfectly on the down slope of the landing. I tried second gear, nothing too wild and ended up about 5ft past the landing :crazy:

The 'ramp' is plowed over now anyways, i needed to get through there with the trailer yesterday so i had to knock it down.

Anyways, so i went out to the 'sandpits' yesterday and tried some little jumps... Almost died...

I had no problem on this half ways properly designed jump but when im out trying to jump the sand piles out there im lucky if i dont kill myself! The first try i was on the throttle a little too much and put the bike straight up in the air, second try i ended up in a nose dive :eek:

So i said fok it and went on to trying wheelies! Im not a very optomistic person so i always think the worst is going to happen so wheelies werent really my thing because i always figure im going straight over backwards as soon as that front tire leaves the ground. But by the end of the night i could keep it vertical pretty good, now i just have to figure out how to shift without dropping the front tire or going over backwards!

When i built a track at my house i used a little math to make it ride able. for the jump, for every foot you go up you want to go 1-1.5 ft out, depending on your riding ability. Also with the landing for every foot you go up the landing goes 2-2.5 feet out.

So say u wanted a jump 6ft high....you would need to go back 9 feet

if you have an idea of the jumps you want draw them up on graph paper and see how the pitch looks to you.