Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust bolt stuck...Grrrrr!

Well I ordered some exhaust packing to repack my ProCircuit Ti-4. This would be the first time on this pipe, but it should be real simple right?....Nope! One of the three exhaust tip bolts is froze bigger than sh_ _! :applause: First I sprayed penetrating oil (but didn't let it sit long enough). Then I stripped the head out of the allen bolt. So I tried the old hammer and chisel to get it to move. All that did was put a nice little scar on my muffler and whittle the bolt down a little.

I've never had to use an easy out before so I'm not sure how they work or if they will work on this. But I'm not going to intentionally put any more dings in my titanium pipe! I also thought about drilling the head off and trying to grip the bolt with vise grips, but I don't know about that either. Any ideas? Please hurry before I get impatient and screw my pipe up some more. :busted:

well, by the sounds of things you are going to have to use an easy out. they work really well, and are fairly simple to use. first, use a sharp center punch to make a mark in the middle of the bolt head so you can drill a hole with out having the bit slip around. then just use a very tiny bit to drill a pilot hole. then when you drill your pilot hole, drill a little bigger hole. (make sure the bit isn't larger in diameter than the shank of the bolt obviously.)

when your hole is drilled you must pick an easy out to use. (the back of the taper should be a little bigger than the hole you drilled.) then, just grip the easy out with a an adjustable wrench, or vise grip and turn it in a counter-clockwise direction until it seats firmly. (use some penetrating oil too) then just turn the bolt out like normal. just make sure when you insert the easy out you don't make it too tight, because if that breaks then you'll have some realy problems. hope this helps. i am not the greatest as explaining things so good luck!:thumbsup:

You explained it perfectly........ I'm concerned that it will break though. This freakin bolt is really stuck. I guess I'll let the penetrating oil soak for a day then try the easy out. If it breaks, then I'll whip out the Dremel and start nibbling away. Thanks for the advise!

Same thing happened on my ti-4 a couple of months back.

Whipped out the dremel and put a slit in it then managed to get it out with a Flathead. Replaced the bolt with one from a bmx brake setup. Worked a treat

Be carefull if you use an easy out on that small of a bolt. They tend to break when using one that small, then you have a tougher problem because they are as hard or harder than the drill bit. Another option might be to use a left handed or reverse drill bit. This is a bit that you use with the drill in reverse to drill in and sometimes it will catch and spin the bolt right out. You will have to go to a speacialty store to find one though. Home Depot type places don't seem to have them. If none of the options people have suggested, you may have to drill it out and tap a new hole with bigger bolt. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.