Switch from Yamaha to KTM??

Hello all! I am thinking about switching up my Yamaha wr250 for an '08 KTM 530 or used 525. Please share your thoughts. Any insight will be much appreciated.

Also, what are the differences between the supermoto version and the dirt version? Is it basically the same bike and can you readily switch between the two by switching wheels, sprocket, etc?

Wow! Going from a 250 to a 530 is going to make a big difference... I just went from a 450 EXC to a 250 XCF-W and love it. The only time I did not like the 250 was when riding in the desert (flat wide open, deep sand...) but I only do that like once or twice a year. The rest of the time it is tight single track and the 250 is just perfect.

What do you ride?

I believe the crossover goes just about the same as most bikes..To do it properly, you'll need 2 sets of wheels completely set up with tires, rotors and sprocket. At that note, you'll need 2 sets of chains/sprockets and you'll probably want to go the brake-relocation-bracket route for your front brake. You may need spacers for the wheels.

So to swap you'll change front relocation bracket, chain/sprockets, and wheels/tires. You might want to choose a slightly heavier weight suspension oil that's a better compromise between street/offroad. You can probably find suspension settings that work best for each use and switch those too.

Ideally you'd want completely diff setups but that's the easiest way to get away with both.

Go take a poke at the guys at SupermotoJunkie dot com for more motard info..?