Header Wrap

Did a search and got some info on wrapping my header (keeps burning my pants), and it seems like a good idea to solve my problem. What I need to know now is to hear from some people who have been using this for awhile and get some feedback on if you had any bike problems as a result or if you recommend it. Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work part time at Advance Auto and we carry some from DEI. I ordered in some black that was 1 inch wide. It also comes in white and different widths.

Most auto parts stores should be able to get it. I've been running mine for about a year now and love it. No problems. I got tired of seeing bikes with the stock beatup guard and not having a guard myself. I cut the tabs off and painted my entire exhaust with header paint and baked it on with a heat gun then wrapped the guard area and secured the ends with hose clamps. Works good. They recommend some silicone spray that I haven't tried yet ,but may. I will try to post some pictures of my bike soon.

bike doesnt run cooler.... heat just doesnt radiate off of your exhaust and instead exits out the muffler like it should!

i was thinking about doing this and might... still unsure and glad to hear all pos feedback so far

• 2 weeks later...

i wrapped my stock pipe and it worked out great. when i got an aftermarket with a steel head pipe tho i heard it wasnt a good idea to wrap it cuz of the possibility of rusting and eating through the header.....water dude......it soaks in and sits......might work if after you wash your bike you start it and dry the wrap off by letting it idle. idk

• 2 weeks later...

i havent wrapped mine...but i didnt send my pipi in to get jet hot coated inside and out.....its like a heavy duty ceramic coating the keeps temps done....the stock pipe was done when i got the bike...and i noticed that with out the heat shield she ran a lot cooler then my buddies yz with the stock pipe and heat shield uncoated......you can ever pay a lil more and get it sterling coated to make er shine if ya care that much......i had the muzzy full exhaust system...(i found it dirt cheap from a private mech locally un-used for 150 bucks so to get er piped i installed it and had the head pipe coated after the first trip to dumont.....i melted my pant and jersey twice.....but after the coating no worries....especially if you stop to chat or take a short break....and stretch your leg out(thats when i melted mine)its cheap and worth it...it even adds a lil extra thickness to the pipe...i crashed on mine and thought id have a hugh dent...nope nuttin but small surface scratches....i guess if you needed it you could wrap it as well

hope it helps

bike doesnt run cooler.... heat just doesnt radiate off of your exhaust and instead exits out the muffler like it should!

i was thinking about doing this and might... still unsure and glad to hear all pos feedback so far

Lets see, if it doesnt radiate heat off the header in the area of the radiator, then it allows the radiator to dissipate more heat AND it runs cooler. It also sounds much better! Did it in RRing for years.?

Any issues anyone knows of by wrapping a titanium headpipe?

Heat is gonna be an issue for me with my street legal supermoto 450, mostly when stopping at a light with no airflow. Any little thing to slow down the overheating is good. Doing a lot of these ittle things will hopefully make a difference

• 2 weeks later...

Heat is gonna be an issue for me with my street legal supermoto 450, mostly when stopping at a light with no airflow. Any little thing to slow down the overheating is good. Doing a lot of these ittle things will hopefully make a difference

As long as you are running a full street electrical system, you'll get far more from running a pair of small DC computer chassis fans than from wrapping the header, and it won't look like the return of the mummy.

Gray - I'm keeping the output AC, as a rectifier will suck up some available watts (I'm told).

Only have 50 watts total - headlight will use 35, and LED tail light only about 1. Leaving only minimal watts at best.

Not totally opposed to a couple small fans, but they would need to be AC and be very low wattage draw. Any suggestions on that?

Probably gonna have my friend steve make me a carbon fiber shield to go between the header and the radiator so I won't have to use the mummy tape.