Sign in to follow this  

Noise on 450sxf

Yesterday I was practicing in slightly wet/muddy conditions. Nothing serious. Occasionaly I heard a high pitched noise(like a squeel) only when engaging/disengaging the clutch. My first thoughts are a bearing ie some sort of release bearing.

Any thoughts of what this could be. The oil level was a touch low about 1/4 of the way up the sight glass when hot instead of 3/4 of the way so it was maybe 100ml low.

Need a little help as this is a totally new sound to me and I am a little lost.

Cheers Kdub

Going to put a fresh filter and oil in tomorrow and just go play down a field fora while to see if it shows its head again. Any input on what it could be would be much appreciated guys.

Cheers kdub

id just have a good look at everything.....

mate called me up saying "motors ****ed making weird noises."

it was the shock guard tapping on the shock.....sounded bad.. lol

I hear of a few(very few) complaints of a clutch squeal .

Most blame it on oil type or having not changed the oil in quite a while

What oil do you use?

After installing a skid plate on mine everything seems louder!

I've had a chatter/spool noise when cold since new. Only the first 2 or 3 engagements cold though.

I had the dealer tell me to keep my oil level near the top of the sight glass when cold if I want my clutch to last. Something to do with a tech service bulliten that was sent to him???

I've had a chatter/spool noise when cold since new. Only the first 2 or 3 engagements cold though.

I had the dealer tell me to keep my oil level near the top of the sight glass when cold if I want my clutch to last. Something to do with a tech service bulliten that was sent to him??? Anyone else hear of this?

Also, what oil are you running? If you're running Rotella that would be the problem IMO...

The -07 clutch basket has too little oil flow/cooling if the going gets tough or if you´re lugging the engine. That´s why the service bulletin. 2008 SXF has a new basket with more oil holes etc. Nothing to worry about though. In worst case scenario ( lots of lugging/ running hard extended periods of time) you need to change clutch plates more often.