What new bike?

I have been considering getting back into the sport after about 15 years. I'm about 6'1" and 220 lbs. I do plan on mostly fire road and jeep trail type of offroad riding as well as some long highway trips as well, up to about 400 miles a day. I probably won't do any technical type off roading. I will also be using it for my 8 block commute too.

I was thinking KLR 650 but oil burning at highway speeds is a concern for me. What do you guys think? My budget is somewhat limited though, $5-6K.

thanks in advance.

The KLR will will run all day on the road without worry about using oil, but is very limited in its off-road ability. The bikes I would suggest you take a look at would for what you described are the Husky TE610 the XR650R & the XR650L. All thes can be found used for what you are looking to spend. 400mi in a day on any of these is gona be a long day. The KLR is a great bike for mainly on road with some fire road riding & will be the most confy on the road.

The KLR will will run all day on the road without worry about using oil, but is very limited in its off-road ability. The bikes I would suggest you take a look at would for what you described are the Husky TE610 the XR650R & the XR650L. All thes can be found used for what you are looking to spend. 400mi in a day on any of these is gona be a long day. The KLR is a great bike for mainly on road with some fire road riding & will be the most confy on the road.

I am not very familiar with the Husky 610, but is it known for being high maintenance and requiring frequent valve adjustments? I like the DRZ400S because it is known for being very low maintenance. I know this isn't a Husky forum, but thought it was worth asking since you recommended it. Also, I am in a similar situtation, looking for a new bike and weighing what my options are. I want more performance, but very lazy with maintenance.

Thanks!

Nothing against the Husky but I just tried to find a dealer on their site and the nearest one is about 5 hours away... not quite what I am looking for there. I do like the looks of that bike though, I doubt it is ideal for my use.

400 miles on a DRZ-400 in one day would kill me. I may be a wimp but I would recommend more cc's and a more plush saddle for all day on rode trips. I have a DRZ 400s and I am ready to get off and stretch my legs after 45 min in the saddle.

Never owned one but the KLR 650 with aggressive DS tires (not knobbies) seems like would do well for you and that style riding. I thought they were bulletproof after listening to the guys over at Advrider.com

xr650L. very low on the maint. good on/off road combo. love mine. doesnt burn much oil on long rides either. reliable, e-start, best of the DS bikes off road.? ?:busted: :busted: :busted::ride:

It sounds like the XR650 is just what you need. 400mi is a pretty long trip on most of those bikes.:ride:

yeah, the 400 mile trips will probably be about 3 or 4 times a year.

I have always heard the KLR is bulletproof but when I was doing some research I found some of the guys who ride on the highway alot are burning a lot of oil at high rpm, up to a qt per 1000 miles. I don't think that is acceptable. according to them Kawasaki says it is "normal":naughty:.

I have seen a couple of older KTM 640 adventures available in my price range with reasonably low mileage should I consider something like this as well?

I know the XR is a good bike but it just doesn't excite me, I guess it would if I were in the saddle wide open, but my wife has to like the looks too!!! All purchases must pass her eye approval.:bonk:

....I found some of the guys who ride on the highway alot are burning a lot of oil at high rpm, up to a qt per 1000 miles. I don't think that is acceptable. according to them Kawasaki says it is "normal":naughty:.

I had a KLR 650 that spent most of it's time at 70-80 on the expressway, it used some oil. I currently have three XR's a 650L (900 miles F.S.) 650R (F.S.) and a 250R (the last two are plated). A thumper at sustained high rpm is gonna draw oil.

KLR / XRL / DR 650 or an LC4 sound like they may suit your needs. All have good versatility and "lower" maintenance. If you want sexy buy an LC4, if you value....well...value then buy any one of the other three for a very reasonable cost and unlimited practicality. (imho) :ride:

I know a lot of guys about your size who swear by the XR650L.

You might be able to get a new one Out The Door for under $6,000 at Out the Door Cycle Sports. Just google it and it'll pop right up at the top of the page.

I just bought a brand new DRZ from them for less than MSRP including sales tax. I live close enough that I was able to go pick it up. I think they ship all over the nation.

I had an XR650L, and now have a KLX400SR (green DRZ400-S). Neither is a great highway bike, but they will do 65 mph all day. The XR650L can have a nasty headshake at 70 mph with new knobbies, and both bikes get blown around a lot by the wind. The DRZ has a little more power, but not much.

I've ridden several 400+ mile days on my XR650L with the stock seat, and I didn't feel any pain at all. The stock DRZ seat is torture at 150+ miles, although I just rode 3000 miles in 10 days (including 1300+ pavement miles in 3 days) with an Alaskan Leathers sheepskin and padded bicycle shorts. It was tolerable, but not as comfortable as the XR650L.

The XR650L is very topheavy, and is not as maneuverable or has as good a suspension as the DRZ400. For 6' 0" 165 lbs weakling me, the DRZ is much easier to ride on the dirt and sand. However, I know someone who is shorter than me, and he rides his XR650L over trails that I would not even walk on, so it's more rider than bike (as it always is).

You can get a good, used XR650L for just over $3000. They have not changed since 1993, so don't buy used. Ride it a year or two, and if you don't like it, sell it and get something else without having that first year depreciation hit to your wallet.

HI there

I have had a KLR 650 for 3 months and put 3,500 miles on it. Last trip to eastern washington was 90 to 95 and up to 100 a few times from highway 18, I 90 intersection to ellensburge when I slowed down not to push my luck with tickets. I had a 14 instead of a 15 front sprocket which lowered my gears for trail riding and more torque. I have not burned a drop of oil. I think that if they are burning oil they did not break it in properly. It is slow to break in. Not over 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles / oil change then not over 6000 rpm until after 6,000 rpm. Besides the doohicky upgrade people ofter do 40,000 miles without major work. I bought front tank guards skid plate and rear plastic guards and my bike has fllipped and tumbled down a hill with nothing besides a few scuffs on the guards. The seat sucks so I will buy the corbin to replace it. Stick tires suck for mud and sand so they are getting changed out replased rear with dunlop 660 and will do the front next month. the 420 progressive suspension front and rear for $420 was a very nice upgrade and improves performance greatly. It will most likely be the lowest maintenance, cheapest and most available aftermarket parts, longest range. The suzuki and honda are more dirt oriented but I load it up and my friends joke that it is my two wheel RV because I carry so much gear. look for the 650 dual sport comparison on the web. the 2007 KLR 650 won the shootout and it gives the pros and cons to every bike in that class. creck

HI there

I have had a KLR 650 for 3 months and put 3,500 miles on it. Last trip to eastern washington was 90 to 95 and up to 100 a few times from highway 18, I 90 intersection to ellensburge when I slowed down not to push my luck with tickets. I had a 14 instead of a 15 front sprocket which lowered my gears for trail riding and more torque. I have not burned a drop of oil. I think that if they are burning oil they did not break it in properly. It is slow to break in. Not over 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles / oil change then not over 6000 rpm until after 1,000 miles. Besides the doohicky upgrade people ofter do 40,000 miles without major work. I bought front tank guards skid plate and rear plastic guards and my bike has fllipped and tumbled down a hill with nothing besides a few scuffs on the guards. The seat sucks so I will buy the corbin to replace it. Stock tires suck for mud and sand so they are getting changed out I replaced rear with dunlop 606 and will do the front next month. the 420 progressive suspension front and rear for $420 was a very nice upgrade and improves performance greatly. I upgraded the suspension with directions from online in 3 hours. It will most likely be the lowest maintenance, cheapest and most available aftermarket parts andhave the longest range. The suzuki and honda are more dirt oriented but I load it up and my friends joke that it is my two wheel RV because I carry so much gear. look for the 650 dual sport comparison on the web. the 2007 KLR 650 won the shootout and it gives the pros and cons to every bike in that class. check it out. Plus I love that everything that you could do to a bike has been done to it. Every procedure that you might want to do to it you can get on the web a step by step pictured procedure.