08 450XCF: Picked it up today!!

Picked up my new 08 450XCF today at Wheelsports (they also had a new 08 450SXF in stock). The new graphics look much better in person. I am going to ride it tomorrow so I should have an initial ride report tomorrow night. Coming from an 07 450SXF here are a few things I noticed tonight on the bike while prepping it:

The new fork protectors are black (orange on the SXF's) and they go completely around the fork - looks like you have to slide the forks out of the triple clamps to remove them. The fuel tank is no wider than the SXF - just the lower sides extend further for the extra capacity. My 07 450SXF came with a smaller 3amp/hr and larger 4amp/hr battery. The XCF comes with one 5amp/hr battery. You also have to fit the battery into the box (which is all new) before you try to bolt the battery box to the airbox (maybe same issue as the 450SXF). Has a Regina O-ring chain. The side stand has a tab welded onto the frame so you cannot just bolt this stand onto a SXF. The kickstand tab does get in the way a little when you install the KTM Hard parts frame guards. It does come with orange KTM MX hand guards - I did not mount them yet. It has Bridgestone tires (I installed the DUNLOP stickers....looks cool with the black rims!). The muffler is quieter than my 07 450SXF - still no spark arrester - but I like the lower noise level (although you can now really hear the engine noise!). The rear spring is a 6.9 (like the 08 450SXF) and the free sag as delivered was around 40mm (higher than I expected). There are new style lighter fasteners (hex head with torx bit inside).

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Feels just like a 450SXF when you sit on it - no heavier. Here are some pics for now.....

DSCN7353.jpg

DSCN7347.jpg

DSCN7345.jpg

DSCN7356.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking bike, but forgive me. Does the xcf designate this bike as a trail bike? It looks MX, or really similar to the SXF.

KTM dosen't really make a "trail" bike but yes the Xc is for GNCC/harescrable type races, I think dirt Rider mag liked it better than the SXF even for MX.

Mike

Great looking bike, but forgive me. Does the xcf designate this bike as a trail bike? It looks MX, or really similar to the SXF.
Can you tell if it's pre-wired for a headlight? Here in Canada it's November or December for the planned delivery date, perfect for the snow!

Interesting what KTM has done for 2008 with the XCF 450/505: basically the SXF's with some different parts (like 18" rear wheel, slightly larger tank, O-ring chain, side stand, 5spd gearbox). I'll have a better feel after today how the new suspension settings work on a motocross track.

Not sure about the wiring yet. My dealer said it is not pre-wired like the usualy XC-W's but a lighting kit is suppose to be coming that will include the harness needed. It does have a much bigger battery than the 450SXF.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT THINGS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M SO JELOUS. cant wait for a ride report. and get some video if u can!

from what i understand it should be pre-wired for lighting. that's where the 8 pound weight increase came from. i beleive. that'd be a real turn off if it didn't. what do you think about the lack of kickstarter? that's my main worry. especially since i want a rekluse. on one hand, it shouldn't stall, so the battery won't be taxed. but if for whatever reason the battery dies.... no bump start.

Picked up my new 08 450XCF today at Wheelsports (they also had a new 08 450SXF in stock). The new graphics look much better in person. I am going to ride it tomorrow so I should have an initial ride report tomorrow night. Coming from an 07 450SXF here are a few things I noticed tonight on the bike while prepping it:

The new fork protectors are black (orange on the SXF's) and they go completely around the fork - looks like you have to slide the forks out of the triple clamps to remove them. The fuel tank is no wider than the SXF - just the lower sides extend further for the extra capacity. My 07 450SXF came with a smaller 3amp/hr and larger 4amp/hr battery. The XCF comes with one 5amp/hr battery. You also have to fit the battery into the box (which is all new) before you try to bolt the battery box to the airbox (maybe same issue as the 450SXF). Has a Regina O-ring chain. The side stand has a tab welded onto the frame so you cannot just bolt this stand onto a SXF. The kickstand tab does get in the way a little when you install the KTM Hard parts frame guards. It does come with orange KTM MX hand guards - I did not mount them yet. It has Bridgestone tires (I installed the DUNLOP stickers....looks cool with the black rims!). The muffler is quieter than my 07 450SXF - still no spark arrester - but I like the lower noise level (although you can now really hear the engine noise!). The rear spring is a 6.9 (like the 08 450SXF) and the free sag as delivered was around 40mm (higher than I expected). There are new style lighter fasteners (hex head with torx bit inside).

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Feels just like a 450SXF when you sit on it - no heavier. Here are some pics for now.....

DSCN7353.jpg

DSCN7347.jpg

DSCN7345.jpg

DSCN7356.jpg

Damn those ktm's look better n better ? Where you get those dunlop stickets from can ya pm me where to? thnx ?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT THINGS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M SO JELOUS. cant wait for a ride report. and get some video if u can!

from what i understand it should be pre-wired for lighting. that's where the 8 pound weight increase came from. i beleive. that'd be a real turn off if it didn't. what do you think about the lack of kickstarter? that's my main worry. especially since i want a rekluse. on one hand, it shouldn't stall, so the battery won't be taxed. but if for whatever reason the battery dies.... no bump start.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay?

I think the 7~8 lbs weight increase is probably due to the 5th gear in the transmission, 18" rear tire usually weighs a little more, side stand, slightly larger fuel tank with reserve petcock, o-ring chain. Funny buy I did not really notice the weight increase while riding it - still felt like my 07 450SXF. I think the 08 450XCF retails for 7698 plus frt/set-up. Not sure how many they are going to build - just make your best deal with your local KTM shop. You will not be disappointed with the bike!:ride:

mxengineer4 could you look in your manual.. and tell me the ratios of 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th please??

wish they imported cxf into australia

Here are the 450XCF numbers while the () are 450SXF

Primary: 29:74

1st: 16:34 (17:32)

2nd: 19:31 (19:30)

3rd: 20:26 (21:28)

4th: 23:25 (23:26)

5th: 26:24

Final: 14:52

Here is a gear chart I made comparing the 07 450SXF to the 08 450XCF - might be helpful also. I will say after riding the 450XCF I like the lower first gear for putting around and tighter stuff, the lower 2nd is good - even on the motocross track, the bigger gap between 2/3 does not hurt anything and it pulls it fine, 4th goes plenty fast, and 5th will go very fast...

DSCN7315.jpg