How much gear play (backlash) do you have?

I have been riding my DRZ kickstart pretty hard the past 2 weeks, while going for a mellow trailride I heard a little excess noise coming from the tranny, when I'm in 2nd

and just cruising along off the gas, then roll on the power I hear a clicking, I put the bike up on the stand and rolled it around in neutral, sounds fine, shifted into gear and moved the tire back and forth, its seems to have a 1/4 tutn freeplay before gears engage and you can't spin the tire, this is where the sound is coming from, when it hits the engagement point, does anyone else have this amount of freeplay ?? I have owned alot of bikes before never had one with that much, all the dualsport bikes have rubber inserts in the rear wheel that couple it with the sprocket and it takes the shock or load, I was wondering if this freeplay was intended for a reason, or is it just differnet ??

Mine does the same thing.For a while I thought my chain was hitting on something.But I couldn't find any points of contact.Im not sure what it is.If I wheelie out of a turn while the rear tire is still coming out of a turn or in a bind it does it bad.It usely happens when im just playing around on the bike.If im going hard it doesn't happen OR im not hearing it?

[This message has been edited by Tennessee Thumper (edited 07-03-2000).]

Thanks Tennessee,I feel better knowing it's

just not my bike, your right it is just noticeable when playing around, now I'm curious if it was designed that way for a reason.