Street Bike help????

Alrighty guys and gals

ima be getting a street bike soon... hopefully

ive been riding dirt bikes for almost 3-4 years now so i've go that down purdy good

im looking at what bike i should get

im thinking i want something like a CBR600RR

or some bike wit similar design as the ^^^

i just wanted some suggestions on year models and different models of streetbikes

im gunna be buying a used bike

im not rich or anything so i can't just buy whatever i want lol

so anyone wanna help me out some??

All my opinion naturally. I like your thinking and you sound realistic. The CBRF4i is a nice bike. Fuel injected too I believe. The Yamaha YZF600r is another great bike I personally ride this for my street bike. Then you have the Ninja 650r which is Kawasaki's version of a tuned down 600. All these bikes weigh close to 100 pounds more than their supersport counterparts. Which for a new street bike rider makes it harder for you to loop it unless that is what you are trying to do. All pull long and fast so you won't outrace the engine to soon. The seats are more comfortable on the tuned down versions too. Another thing is how tall are you? I am short 5'6" so the Yamaha which had the lowest seat height was heavily favored. Oh I forgot to mention the Suzuki Katana but if you have seen pics you'll understand why I do not mention it.

Lastly remember to gear up it saves lives or at least skin. Ride every ride as if every cager is trying to kill because they are weather they know it or not. Otherwise streetbikes are great and good gas mileage. I rarely drive my cage anymore. I even have added a street cruiser to my garage since starting to street ride.:prof::ride:

i'm actually looking more towards the supersports

i like going fast and im probably gunna be doing some stunt work

not pro. but just messing around having fun

i really like the design of the cbr600rr

so i think im gunna go with the cbr600rr

i would go for the cbr1000rr

but im just starting out on streetbikes and i dont want to push it too much

now any suggestions on the cbr600rr as far as year models and prices...

I don't care how long you have been riding dirt. That only means you know how to operate the controls. Street is a whole different world.

A 600 is too much for a new rider. It's not forgiving and it will also cost you a lot of money to fix when (not if) you drop it.

Start out on one of the following: Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Ninja 650, SV650, Katana 500, or something similar. Then work your way up from there.

It's easier to learn to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.

Great. All the world needs is one more squid. Please do us road riders a favor... stay on the dirt if you want to do stupid stuff. We have a hard enough time already being banned from places because of squids and the "loud pipes" crowd. However, if you want to ride responsibly, any of the mid sized bikes are very nice machines, but be sure and take the MSF course before doing battle with cages out on the road.

Great. All the world needs is one more squid. Please do us road riders a favor... stay on the dirt if you want to do stupid stuff. We have a hard enough time already being banned from places because of squids and the "loud pipes" crowd. However, if you want to ride responsibly, any of the mid sized bikes are very nice machines, but be sure and take the MSF course before doing battle with cages out on the road.

AMEN!

And you'll find that unlike dirt, you will be using the front brake MUCH more than the rear (unless you like to high-side)...

+1 on taking the MSF and starting with a less aggressive/twitchy bike. Having your nice, shiny, new supersport loop on you is not pretty.

And remember - dress for the slide, not the ride; wear your gear (asphalt at 70 is more abrasive than dirt at 30).

With 34 years of street riding experience, I could tell you a lot more, but these are pretty good for starters.

If i were you i would check insurance rates as well. A cbr 600rr is gonna cost you an arm and a leg to insure. You wanna know why? Because tons of squids who have never ridden a street bike let alone a race replica go out and wad it up right off the bat. To me it seems pointless to go out and buy a used $6000 bike and be forced to pay $1500-$2000 a year to insure it, thanks squids!!!!

Alrighty guys and gals

ima be getting a street bike soon... hopefully

ive been riding dirt bikes for almost 3-4 years now so i've go that down purdy good

im looking at what bike i should get

im thinking i want something like a CBR600RR

or some bike wit similar design as the ^^^

i just wanted some suggestions on year models and different models of streetbikes

im gunna be buying a used bike

im not rich or anything so i can't just buy whatever i want lol

so anyone wanna help me out some??

http://www.600rr.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=47

HERE go read these this is the "crash, boom, bang" section of 600rr.net its all about peoples stories about crashing one way or another. There are alot of experienced riders that go down and every extra bit of skill and time on a bike does matter. I jumped from 20yrs of MX to a 600RR and i would advise against it. A month ago a guy right in front of me in our group went down going into a corner and ended up tangled up with his bike and the guard rail RESULT fractured C1 +C2 now hes wearing a halo for 3 months LUCKY to be alive and walking. He had a GSXR600 and was inside a year on the bike and not new to 2 wheels. Take peoples advice when there talking about F4i's and YZF's and any other entry bikes, a SV650 rides with us and he has no problems staying with us unless were coming out of a corner uphill . There all the bike you need to have a blast and enjoy the street while gettting some miles under you BEFORE you go to a supersport. You got alot of years in your life left so dont worry it all comes in good time.

CBR600RR is NOT a beginner bike. I rode a few different model years of them and EASILY pulled the front end up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear no clutch. It WILL buck your ass off in a hurry if you don't know how to ride street. Mind you, I'm 6' 250#. Riding dirt and riding street have NOTHING in common.

If you want to go fast, that's cool... but speed comes after experience.

bumps for F4i, '01 and '02 have look just like a supersport bike. Also bump for SV650S, '04+. Spend another $350 and get the lower faring and seat cowl for the SV. It will look just like a supersport bike. I've had both SV650 and F4i. The v-twin of the SV650 is so smooth and manageable this is the bike I'd recommend. I went back to an I4 after the SV, but quickly sold it to acquire another twin, VTR1000F (Honda 996). Speed is not in the bike but in the skill of the rider. The SV will hang with any RR, 636, Gixxer, or whatever in everything during the average street ride setting. Also, the SV will cost thousands less in acquisition and ownership costs. The grace of streetbikes is not just speed. Rubber side down, and don't hit hard stuff.

All my opinion naturally. I like your thinking and you sound realistic. The CBRF4i is a nice bike. Fuel injected too I believe. The Yamaha YZF600r is another great bike I personally ride this for my street bike. Then you have the Ninja 650r which is Kawasaki's version of a tuned down 600. All these bikes weigh close to 100 pounds more than their supersport counterparts. Which for a new street bike rider makes it harder for you to loop it unless that is what you are trying to do. All pull long and fast so you won't outrace the engine to soon. The seats are more comfortable on the tuned down versions too. Another thing is how tall are you? I am short 5'6" so the Yamaha which had the lowest seat height was heavily favored. Oh I forgot to mention the Suzuki Katana but if you have seen pics you'll understand why I do not mention it.

These street posts always get my interest. When talking about these bikes being "tuned down versions" you are completely wrong. The Kawi is a 650 V-twin with a different frame, wheels, tires, bars, seats, and just about everything else. Same applies to the YZF and F4i. They are not tuned down versions. They are simply different, lesser performance oriented models of their own. That being said there is alot of good advice here. Take the MSF, buy good gear, and try to get with some knowledgable and responsible street riders, and don't buy a nice bike without being able to put full coverage on it. A crappy rider can get killed on a moped. They will get killed faster on a faster bike. If you are a skilled rider, and can make good decisions buy whatever you want. Just realize that with more power come more responsibility and lessens your ability to be inattentive or sloppy.

yall make is sound like i dont know anything about these bikes

yes i know these bikes have a tremendous amount of power

i know that front end will come up in a split second

using front brake... yes in motocross front brake-back brake 70%-30%

im doing my homework on all of this

i dont plan on going out there and trying to pull stunts the first day

i dont plan on going fast or any of this

i will be taking driving courses

and will be wearing full out leathers/riding gear

yall make is sound like i dont know anything about these bikes

yes i know these bikes have a tremendous amount of power

i know that front end will come up in a split second

using front brake... yes in motocross front brake-back brake 70%-30%

im doing my homework on all of this

i dont plan on going out there and trying to pull stunts the first day

i dont plan on going fast or any of this

i will be taking driving courses

and will be wearing full out leathers/riding gear

Well, the other big thing is that no matter how good of a rider you are, no matter how much you know about your bike, no matter how good you are at controlling your brake, there's still the very likely chance that somebody will hit you with their 4-wheeled-cageomobile.

It's harrowing to say the least, riding on the street. It's nothing like driving a car, you need to be ****ing ALERT! You need to look ahead of the road, and analyze the situation, weigh the benefits and detriments of your current lane position, that sort of thing. When you're out there, you need to be constantly playing out situations in your head, and thinking of what is and isn't likely to happen. If there's a car pulling out of the driveway to the right of you, three cars directly to the left of you, and a truck on his phone behind you, you need to be able to, on an instants notice, play out what may happen if something were to go wrong. If that car backs out infront of me, where is my escape path? If the car on my left pulls infront of me, how do I plan on maneuvering so as to not only avoid getting rear ended by the heavy and hard to stop truck behind me (no less on his cellphone), but also dodge the car that will be directly to my left, and blocking my escape path into the opposing lane? Assume the worst.

You can't just hop on your bike and go for a spin, when you're out on your bike, you need to freaking THINK! And the last thing you want clouding your mind, is to be trying to manage a 400 pound, 100+ horsepower beast that just wants to get rid of you.

I myself am a noob to street riding, and after about 8 years of riding offroad, and hopping on a dual sport, I can say that even on my underpowered KLX, street riding is freaking SCARRY. I couldn't even imagine trying to drive on the road on a .6 liter street bike, I just don't trust my abilities.

So what you need to ask yourself is, do you trust YOUR abilities? Do you really know what you're doing?

Maybe you should ask a friend, with a bike, if he'll let you just drive up and down a long, flat, and narrow length of road, with him following in a car, just to get a feel of the street on a bike, and to learn what sort of bike you'd be comfortable on.

I'll say it again, do you trust your own abilities to keep your own livelihood safe? Having the biggest and baddest 600cc bike won't matter when you're skull is sitting under the tire of an SUV you THOUGHT saw you.

This is my opinion. I have been racing mx for 15+ years and riding bikes since I can't remember. I also have a drag car and did the whole street racing and racing at tracks for about 10 years. I don't own a streetbike, but have many friends that do. Most have never ridden bikes before, but some have. They always get asked by other friends to "let me take for a spin." Of course they say no. But when I ask they toss me the keys and say be careful. One even kept his at my house because he didn't want to leave it out at his apt. and he left me the keys and said to ride it whenever I want. So far I've been able to ride an r-1,r-6, cbr600rr&f4i, gsxr600,750,1000, hayabusa, and even a harley. I had no problems hopping on these bikes and riding some all day in all situations. I even went too fast on some of them and it can get scary at times. Like others said you just have to know your own limits and you have to always be thinking ahead. I guess it can be overwhelming for some people, but it just was natural for me. Now the only thing holding me back from owning a street bike is financial reasons although I've tried to trade my mx bike for one lately, but no one has taken me up yet and I won't sell it at a loss. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Go on www.sportbikeworld.com and ask "New bike 600rr" and they will all tell you the same thing. This question has been asked millions of times. I agree that a 600rr sport bike is to much for a new rider! I don't have any time on a streetbike because I'm only 15, but guys at my dad's work place have 600 sportbikes and a guy told me that he had his stock 07 zx600r going 260Kph! He has been riding for 25 years both dirt and street (hes 31) and told me next year when I'm 16 and want a 600rr I'll be 6 feet under in a month.

(This is about a 07 Yamaha R1)

This is what a sales man said at my local Bike shop I was next to him when he was talking to a man and his 16 year old son. I'll give you the run down, the man was asking about this R1. the salesman thinks it's for the man so he tells him about it and then realises that it is for his son. Here is what he said and I quote.

(Salesman) Do you love you love your son?

(Dad) Of course I do!

(salesman) If you buy him this bike you won't have a son next week!

Go on www.sportbikeworld.com and ask "New bike 600rr" and they will all tell you the same thing. This question has been asked millions of times. I agree that a 600rr sport bike is to much for a new rider! I don't have any time on a streetbike because I'm only 15, but guys at my dad's work place have 600 sportbikes and a guy told me that he had his stock 07 zx600r going 260Kph! He has been riding for 25 years both dirt and street (hes 31) and told me next year when I'm 16 and want a 600rr I'll be 6 feet under in a month.

(This is about a 07 Yamaha R1)

This is what a sales man said at my local Bike shop I was next to him when he was talking to a man and his 16 year old son. I'll give you the run down, the man was asking about this R1. the salesman thinks it's for the man so he tells him about it and then realises that it is for his son. Here is what he said and I quote.

Great advice, and the first time i've heard of a salesman actually caring about their customer.

I'd say to go with a high end supermoto, like a Husky SMR510, and have fun on that. You don't need to go fast to have fun.

Hell, my KLX is an underpowered, overweight, campgrounds bike, and I still have a blast once I hit the twisties ?

Dirt and street are two completely different games. I took the MSF course just for shits and giggles and I learned that quickly. I had to just about forget everything I knew from dirt in order to ride street the right way. The only good things you will bring over are shifting and if you lose control you will have a better reaction time of what to do (sometimes, and depending on the cause). I would say get a katana, you say you want to stunt, so you don't want to learn how to do an endo on a cbr600. Get a Katana, its a fast bike, but not as fast as the cbr. Get it, get used to it, then when you THINK you've grown out of it (I say 'think' because it will take more then a month for you to grow out of it, but you won't realize that), get the cbr and keep the katana as a practice stunt bike. Change the gearing so its more torquey and you'll be set. Trust me, take the MSF course and just make sure you're not trying to show off too fast. DONT get a cbr just because you want to go fast, it will get you there, and about 100mph more then that. If you get one because you want speed you'll find yourself topping out the speedo eventually and shitting your pants when you have a close call with death. Good luck man, and either way, stay safe.