Sign in to follow this  

Spleen question

I had a crash a few weeks ago and dislocated my shoulder, ruptured my spleen, and received a concussion. My question to you is about my spleen. It wasn’t bad enough for the doctors to remove it but they did embolise it. Now when I take my next big crash, am I much more likely to damage my spleen even more? I know it can be a life threatening injury due to blood loss and of course I don’t want to die. If my risk of dieing is much greater after my injury, I might have to rethink my whole MX “career”.

I am not sure what you mean by the doctor embolized it. An emboli is a clot. If you have undergone a spleenectomy then you do not have a risk of fracturing your spleen again...........its gone.

Then it is safe to say once you and your spleen are healed/scar up you run the same amount of risk as before. I would venture to say no more or less risk for a splenic injury. Just dont take any hits to the melon for the next couple of months. More risk in frequent closed head injuries. Leads to excessive drooling. Your best bet is to speak with the surgeons office to get the doc's .02. Only he knows for sure how extensive the injury was.

shaggy,

If you have no idea what splenic artery embolization is then you shouldnt be in here offering medical advice on splenic injuries. mxer, you sustained a spenic laceration that was actively bleeding and needed embolization. You obviously did not injure the spleen bad enough to require splenectomy, but you had a pretty severe injury. You still have a spleen injury that will take many weeks to heal completely. The interventionalist just blocked off the artery branch that was causing the bleeding. Take it easy for a few weeks and let your body heal.

davbrucas,

If you read the original post then you should understand the confusion as he said they removed it. As to not suggesting to the boy yourself to pose this question to his doctor involved with his care is also careless on your part. Seems like you may know to much.

Disregard, I misread the statement, I thought it stated both they removed it and embolized it leading to my confusion.