Got poped by the Fuzz this morning!

So on the way to work this morning a very "porkly" bike cop pulled me over (this guy must of been 5'8" 275) and began to lecture me on my turn signals, no plate light, small mirror, and lack of effen reflectors....reflectors...on the front and rear of the bike.

He gave me a fix-it ticket for the blinkers and lack of license plate light. I guess he let me off easy without giving me any harasment on the trs yosh.

Ive done some searches on here for D.O.T., Cal sert. license plate/tailights bought cannot seem to get any for sure answers on whats legit or not.

So besides the factory set up, do any of you know what is compleatly California legal?

Or, am I stuck with putting on the factory set up?

Now I do have some cop buddies that can sign off the ticket. But the problem is that this cop is a local guy that I see radaring and tickiting all over my area...Infact he told me this morning that he has been wanting to pull me over for these "violations" for over a monthk, but hasent had a "convenient" opportunity tell now. So If I just get it signed off without any changes, Im sure this guy will pull me over again and try to impound the bike.

So as long as I find something that is somewhat "more legal" than my Acerebis plate mount and stick on blinkers I should be okay.

Any sugestions?

Thanks

• Like 1

This cop was saying that anything other than 100% original factory or "factory replacement" is ILLEGAL. WTF man...I think we are all on Illegal rides then. Bunch of BS if you ask me Man.

I've got blinkers, a mirror, and a plate light. I went to the DMV with this set up to take my riding test, and SPACIFICLY asked the instructor if my ride was legit. He looked it over and said it looked fine...I had all the working hardware.

I told that to the cop and he kind of Chuckeld and asked if the guy at the dmv had a badge (points to his badge) and if he had a gun (points to His gun). Im like no...but he was a man of authority at the dmv...the cop proceded to pretty much tell me that The people at the dmv dont know crap (which we all know is true) and they are not the ones in a position to tell a motorist if there vehicle is legal or not...

He had a point...so I pretty much just played mister nice guy with him..and tryed to bullshit with him.

Sucks man. Don't know how strict it is out there but might hit the law books (or try here) or get a lawyer to look over the vehicle codes. I'm pretty sure you need reflectors though. I was going to say if you challenge it in court and win he won't bother you for the small stuff anymore but then I think will probably try to pop you for petty ridiculous moving violations.

My DMV where I got my motorcycle endorsement is run by state highway patrol so they did have badges and guns!

Definitely BS!

In Connecticut:

- you don't need blinkers but need to show you know the hand signs.

- There's no specifics on tail-light as long as you have one.

- I didn't read anything about a license plate light but I know your plate can't tilt up too far.

- You need a horn and a headlight as well as at least 1 mirror (forgot which side).

Get the stock SM clear lens blinkers, they look good and are OEM.

I put DOT 3M laser engraved thick plastic reflective tape all over both of my bikes. I think it looks pretty good but I bet others think it's nasty (I had better not ever get pulled over for no reflectors!).

Side2.jpg

Thats a shame your set up is really nice. I love the blinkers in the rear, really slick. If you have a local 5-O gunning for you then your going to have to do what he wants, or get tickets and a court date. I had this same problem with a state trooper. He hated sport bikes and told me so. He was pretty shocked when he pulled me over and found out he had pulled a old guy and not a teenager but he still wrote me up for a long list of does and don't does so I just went all DOT. In VA we have state inspection and thats another thing to deal with if you like to make your bike look nice with aftermarket stuff. As far as getting hassel for loud pipes on the street I always just point to harleys with stright pipes almost all have them and they are by far the loudest bikes out there.

As far as getting hassel for loud pipes on the street I always just point to harleys with stright pipes almost all have them and they are by far the loudest bikes out there.

That may be my biggest annoyance in life. If my truck, bike, etc, were half as loud as those straight piped, antiquated, costume jewelry on wheels contraptions, I'd get ticketed all day long. Not only being stupid, it makes my ears feel like they are going to bleed. Everytime I get in close proximity to one of them w/ straight pipes, (and of course the store bought bad-ass behind the bars is blipping the throttle constantly [maybe they won't stay running?]), I'd like to take one of these and saw them in half right behind the gas tank:

cutoffsaw.jpg

Now that would be a sweet sound. ?

Bout what I would expect in Kalifornistan.

I'd do my own legal research...then show up in court and let the judge decide if you broke any laws.

The cop is wrong in thinking he is the authority that determines if a law was violated. If you win...you got harassment charges to file....especially since he told you he had a hard on for you for more then a month. Might even be a profileing issue. Maybe he hates SM or dirt bikes.

He pulled me over on Cannon/Imperial Hwy in Anaheim Hills. Right in front of Canyon High.

i just PM'd you.

sorry to hear about this incident...btw, i also have the stock reflectors if you need or want to throw them on to have your ticket signed off.

Really kind of a pisser that the police would bother a person on a motorcycle... let alone a DRZ (that's if you're just riding normally around town... not some sort of stunting speed demon)... reflectors though... blah

Your turn signals look fine to me, the only thing I think he's pointing out is that they are not on either side and even with your tail-light so a car a little to your left with the driver on the left won't see your right signal (and vise versa).