Sign in to follow this  

Trail Wings mileage

I will be picking up my new DR650 Saturday. I was going to have the tires switched out, but I have decieded to break in the bike on the street, so I opted to ride the "Death Wings" this way I will not wear out the knobbies.

My question is:

Those that are running or have run the Trail Wings, that come stock on the DR, how many miles are you getting out of them and how much is left on the tread when you replaced them?

RH

I have only 1700 miles on my bike and bought the bike at the end of june, and the rear death wing is already flat in the center almost to the bottom of the tread the sides are fine, I didn't do any burn outs either. But I guess they're descent on the road, I did order the Dunlop 606s so I will be eventually get two sets of rims and tires.

Mine have a little over 3000 miles, I'm hoping to squeeze another 1000 out of them.

I thought I was abusing them. I only average 60mph and ride 99% street and my rear lasted 5000 miles.:applause:

My rear Trail Wing was toast at 2,000 miles. I tossed the front along with it when I put a set of Maxxis 606's. If I get 3K out of the Maxxis I'll be amazed.

mine are showing a bit of wear after 1300 miles. Great street tire. Not as bad off road as everyone says.... I'll probably go with D606 next time, but they don't last long enough. My DRZ400 has almost toasted a set after 1500 miles.

Got about 2800 rear and got rid of the front at the same time. I would guess the front probably had another 2000 miles left in it.

06 650 got 3200 out of rear. bought an extra rear rim and put a maxxis 6006 for off road. put another TW on the rear for on road. I should have put a more street worthy tire on though. i am at 7200 now and find that most of my riding is street. I put on 16t for my commute of an hour a day minimum. TW are pretty good actually. It is just that I want something that will last all season for the street and I don't want to have to change the tire two or three times a year. for off road, now i can just swap out rims. front tire still is stock TW and looks ok. I will probably go with another TW on the front when I have to change the 2nd rear TW

I will be picking up my new DR650 Saturday. I was going to have the tires switched out, but I have decieded to break in the bike on the street, so I opted to ride the "Death Wings" this way I will not wear out the knobbies.

My question is:

Those that are running or have run the Trail Wings, that come stock on the DR, how many miles are you getting out of them and how much is left on the tread when you replaced them?

RH

I think I got about 3800 or so out of the rear one and I’m still running the front one. I have 5500 or so on the bike right now, and the front has quite a bit to go.

I’m one of the few (if not the only one) that actually like the Trail Wings. And have considered replacing the front one with another trail wing when it wears out. I did replace the back one with a different make though.

Congrats on the bike! :applause:

I think it's a great all around tire! If I had a straight 21" front, I'd beusing the TW's still as well as riding dirt.

Mine have 7,000 miles on them. The front probably has another 1,000 miles in it, the rear needs to be changed soon. I recently ordered a new set of Trail Wings from SW Moto. I have called them Death Wings in past, but I was trying to get them to do things they weren't designed for. For paved roads, fire roads, and jeep trails in good condition (and this is mostly what I ride) they're a good tire.

I chose to go with the Maxxis M6006 after my first ride through the country...mostly dirt and gravel roads.

Im saving the TW's for future road use.

I am at about 3,600 miles on my 07' and I have 2/32" tread in the center section of the rear tire. I ride 90% on road commuting to/from work. I run about 30 psi rear and 28 psi front. My front tire would asily last another 5,000 miles plus. It is wearing even, no cupping and it is not even near half way worn yet. The stock tires really aren't that bad as long as you don't think this big 650 is gonna carve the dirt trails like a MX'er. It handles great on the street IMO (as long as it's dry).

about 3k miles from a rear, and about twice that on the front. They will get a flat spot in them after ~1,500 miles, but still stay predictable until the middle tread in pretty worn at around 3k. They are decent dual sport tires, b ut I can't stand how fast they wear out on such a light bike.