Flywheel removal tips

I tried putting the trans in 5th gear and jamming a small wrench in the back sprocket, but still couldn't manage to break the nut loose. I'm trying to do this with the bike on its side so I don't have to drain the oil, so holding the rear brake isn't an option (yet). Any suggestions from the experts out here?

out of curiousity how do you put it back on with a torque wrench? Im assuming you use the wood on the swingarm trick.

To get the nut off put the hammer on the top side of the swingarm, to torque it back down put it on the bottom side ?

BTW grayracer I owe you a beer, it worked like a charm :worthy:

I have a new timing chain to put in my 06, but dont have a flywheel puller..........so this is the method for people who dont have a puller?

No, you will still need a puller. They were just talking about getting the nut loose.

Another trick for locking the motor up is lowering a length of rope through the spark plug hole, so the piston comes up against it. I did this on my YZ250 when I installed a flywheel weight, worked awesome!

I ordered my puller from the TT store- super fast shipping and the lowest price on the net! TT store P/N is TR_158257.

I just purchased one from my dealer, the price came up as like $35, they said that can't be, so they sold it to me for $10.95. (the same price as the others):applause:

Thanks for the great post. Just ordered my puller.

One more question: Is the nut RH thread or LH thread. Hate to go after it with the impact wrench set the worng way!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm "almost" sure it is a left hand thread.

That could be why he can't break it loose.