Turbo City Adventure Touring Wind Screen review

I'm sure you guys probably are riding on the street mostly.

I took mine off road once and when I stood up and leaned forward to climb a hill I hit the windshield. That's a minor inconvience but something I didn't plan on.

If you raise the windshield just keep in mind if you stand up and lean forward (like climbing a steep bank) it would be in the way.

Just something to think about. I do like my turbo city windscreen. I believe I'm getting about 3 or 4 more mpg with it on.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks drnorth for starting this thread and posting your thoughts...

First I would like to say that the Turbo City windscreen works as advertized ….

(from Turbo City’s web site) “The wind screen is a rigid mount non adjustable and is designed to relieve some on the upper body air pressure on the faster portions of your ride. Reduces upper body and back fatigue and allows for longer rides. Easy to look over even for the shortest riders."

It did just that … and with pretty smooth air flow, but at my height 5’ 11” – 32” inseam on a Corbin seat it put that airflow right at my eye level.

I know I should just close my faceshield (which the airflow did for me at 40 mph or so) and be happy … but ... I like to ride with my faceshield open at times (with glasses on of course) so below is my rather crude attempt to make height adjuster brackets for the TC windscreen to get that airflow above my faceshield.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = = = = =

I like what Coyote X did in the thread linked below ,,, but I didn’t see it until I had mine most of the way complete.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377908&highlight=dr650

= = = = = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Below is what I came up with, the red dots represent the four windscreen attachment points which will now be used to mount the adjuster brackets to the Turbo City brackets. The other circles represents the options available to now mount the windscreen to the adjuster brackets.

The hole are spaced ¾” apart vertically. Any set of four holes (picture moving the yellow X up or down) can be used to mount the adjuster brackets to the TC brackets and then the windscreen can be attached to the adjusted brackets at the other locations.

I used ¼” x 1” alum. Bar, saber saw and small drill press. I plotted my design out full scale, taped it to the alum. Bar, center punched the center of the holes then used the drill press to drill the holes. I rounded the top and bottom corners with a file after rough cutting with the saber saw.

I plan on getting the alum adjuster brackets power coated black some time this winter, should improve the looks a bit.

========

DR-Wind-Bracket2.jpg

See below pictures to make sense out of the above paragraphs.

========

Front1.jpg

========

FrontLeft.jpg

========

Front2.jpg

========

Closeup1.jpg

========

Left.jpg

========

Due to the bolthead of the bolt connecting the adjuster brackets to the TC brackets and the fact that the TC windscreen has a slight curve down at the bottom, spacers are needed between the adjuster brackets and the windscreen.

You can play with different thicknesses of spacers at the top and bottom to adjust the airflow, it is amazing what a ¼” difference will do to the airflow.

As you can see in the last picture above – adjusting the windscreen up also brings it back. At this time I’m only using the DR650 to commute on so I’m on the seat 100% of the time, I wouldn’t want to stand on the pegs with the windscreen where it is now.

But not only can you adjust the windscreen up you can also go lower so I guess once you get to the off road part on your ride you can stop and adjust the windscreen down. About five minutes or so I would guess.

Not the best solution but it has worked for me (DISCLAMER – I’m not an Engineer or “Windogilist” so use at your own risk)----- We really need someone like MadStad (V-Strom) to design a slick quick adjusting bracket system.

Larry

Hi, new here and am looking at getting a DR650 in the near future. I had a DL650 and the most popular mod for windscreens for the suzi is the Madstad bracket. It looks like it could be fitted to this screen bracket without much trouble, Then you wouldn't need tools to adjust screen height or angle and it would only take a second to remove the whole screen if you want to play off road. Anyone tried it?

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.55/.f?sc=7&category=67

• 1 month later...

Hey Wildcard342 ....

Yes ... that is my Winter project. Since I have a DL650 V-Strom with a MadStad (as well as a DR650). I also own the TurboCity Windscreen for my DR650 .... so I already have the major pieces - just need to get them joined together.

I have it in my head how I'm going to get the MadStad on the TurboCity brackets ... not sure how much work it will turn out to be.

Will keep the thread informed if I even come up with something.

Larry

Hi, new here and am looking at getting a DR650 in the near future. I had a DL650 and the most popular mod for windscreens for the suzi is the Madstad bracket. It looks like it could be fitted to this screen bracket without much trouble, Then you wouldn't need tools to adjust screen height or angle and it would only take a second to remove the whole screen if you want to play off road. Anyone tried it?

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.55/.f?sc=7&category=67

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've ordered one of the TCI windshields. I also need to know if it will work with the Safari Tank. Does anyone have that combo? I see where someone has asked this same question several times but no responses yet.

I asked the question a long time ago but ended up just buying a Safari and finding out. Drum roll.... It works fine with the wind screen. :cheers: Go for it.
The Safari comes with different turn signal brackets that relocate your turn signals at a 90 degree angle upwards to clear the tank and still be able to use the steering lock.

Do the TC brackets clear the new Safari turn signal brackets allowing you to still use the steering lock? :moon:

I asked the question a long time ago but ended up just buying a Safari and finding out. Drum roll.... It works fine with the wind screen. :moon: Go for it.

That's great news. I'm putting a Madstad bracket on the TCI windshield also to make it adjustable. This will place the shield a couple of inches forward which should provide even less interference.

I bought my Safari used and it didn't come with the turn signal brackets. What I did was to reverse the brackets and mount them upside down. It's been quite a while but I think that's what I did.

I haven't ridden the DR in a while (been riding my WR250R mostly) so I can't remember if I can turn full left for the steering lock. It seems to me that I had to mess around a little to get it so that it locks.

The one thing that did make interferance was the bar-backs I was using. I had to take them off and mount the bars in the stock position.

• 7 months later...

Hi folks. I don't know if anyone still cares about this old thread on the TC windscreen (which I see has now climbed in price $40 to $199!), but I reorganized some photos on Photobucket and that appears to have killed the links I posted earlier. I couldn't figure out how to edit the links in the old post to make them work (the moderators might have set it up so it's not possible), so I've reposted the pics here. I hate it when posts have those "photo unavailable" messages! FWIW, I still find the TC screen excellent for my purposes in stock form. Apparently the new Madstad RoboBracket ($95?) adds all the adjustment anyone could need. Might be worth it if one is having trouble getting the setup just right.

Screen mounted:

TCWS1.jpg

TCWS2.jpg

Bracketry:

TCWS3.jpg

TCWSbracket1.jpg

TCWSbracket2.jpg

With bugs:

Bug-spatteredTCWStt.jpg

As drnorth mentioned in the post above ... the MadStad RoboBrackets "adds all the adjustment anyone could need" ... they really do work well do dial in the airflow to suit your needs.

See them in the Image Gallery in the link below ...

- on the black DR is the stock TCI windscreen -

- on the white DR is the "CR Sport" Windshield that MadStad sells

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl;jsessionid=yTY8M4rGrp7QJsvhb2mVt4QQ4B1303GnbV4y46JVM0Sl0Mjf15hp2MStdM3qy8hpCv7BTXPhmDLxmgvrJhLLhd7PnrlkD5rL3g3nxnX1whyp0pnJ5lVW1wYXRZHp5cXG!1401392100?sc=11#Suzuki

..scroll down to the DR650

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I just ordered these Madstat brackets for my Turbo City Windshield and wanted to know if anyone has actually tried these with the TC shield (not the shield Madstat sells to go with the TC brackets)? The reason I've ordered these is because I noticed the other day that when I stand up on my DR, the airflow is much smoother and my helmet gets much quieter, so I'm hoping that by raising the shield and changing the angle it will be smoother and quieter. Even with earplugs, my bike is loud cruising at speed on the open road. Thanks!