Sign in to follow this  

need some advice, started pulling motor apart

well I managed to completely destroy the bearing on the shaft that the clutch is on...its DONE...

I started pulling the bike apart and found a few things that are concerning me. the piston has a few scratches on the exhaust side, they are fairly light, and the bike was making great power. the cylinder has normal vertical wear marks, but has a couple scratches on the exhaust side. here are some pictures to show. what would cause this, and can I reuse the piston and cylinder...my initial thought was yes, but thought I would check here.

drz7.jpg

drz6.jpg

drz5.jpg

next thing, is that rust color on the cylinder normal?

next, here is a pic of where the piston pin was, there are a few wear marks in there, spaced in every 20 degrees or so inside where the pin goes. is this anything to be concerned about...can i use the same piston and a new pin?

drz4.jpg

how does this carbon buildup look? ok? too rich? too lean? bike has had 7500 miles since being apart

drz3.jpg

here is a pic of the head...the exhaust valves are pretty light in color which has me worried I was running too lean...any thought?

drz1.jpg

and last but not least...my fubard bearing

P1010069.jpg

found this in the oil

P1010066.jpg

I hope it didnt tear the tranny up....

answered your pm.cylinder looks normal.piston,not great but common.top of the piston looks like oil useage.

never seen that bearing fail.

Exhaust valves are totally normal do not worry about the slightly whiteish color. I would probly mic the cylinder for taper and replace the piston since I had it apart. Does look like its burning some oil. Scuffing on the piston is probly normal from 7500 miles.

I dunno why the bearing would fail