Saddle/Rear/Duffle Bags

looking for some advice on the best bags out there that are weatherproof and preferably waterproof.

also wondering whether saddle bags and a duffle are the way to go OR 2 duffles to avoid exhaust issues.

lastly - aluminum carrying cases??

any help greatly appreciated

Lots of options, and it depends where you are going and what roads you will ravel.

On trips to Guatemala and Alaska I used aluminum panniers for security. They were Happy Trails and waterproof, totally crash proof, and protected the bike. I know some feel that metal cans and rack transfer the blow to the bike causing damage, but the KLR is rugged enough this won't happen unless you get hit by a truck, in which case you'll have more pressing worries...

For dirt adventure touring where handling the bad joojoo is a concern, and let's face it the KLR is no dirt bike, the soft luggage is the way to go. Lighter, and you can avoid geting luggae racks or bars by slinging the saddlebags up close so they are an inch behind your calves. This mean great handling (mass cenralisation ) and keeps them away from the exhaust w/o set off bars or racks, further saving weight.

I really liked my Chase Harpers. Bought them used and still put many miles on them. More than 25lb a side will over time on dirt roads cause the stitching too stretch and eventually breal bit by bit but 25lb is OK. Use tank panniers to even the weight distribution and you don't need to carry any more than that.

Some people like the Dry bags. My Chas Harpers were waterproof with their rain covers though. There are other good brands likethose mentioned above, and Wolfman stuff (tank bag, tank panniers) are pretty good.

Stay away from the Kawasaki luggage, not so well thought out, not as rugged, but it dos work, overpriced though....

So if you do not need security, and do need dirt road handling, go soft luggage and mount heavy stuff low and as close the the center of the bike as possible.

But if you're not doing Baja dirt road touring type terrain and mostly pavement and decent dirt, t's REAL ice to have the lock up tins and be able to walk away at ruins and stuff knowing your shit will PROBABLY still be there.

The thing about metal panniers is they encourage you to overpack and "stimulate "the kitchen sink" attitude to packing. Buy narrow tins for cornering clarance, lanesplitting, better aerodynamics in the storms and better MPG, and they will force you to travel lightly.

I found in Mexico and Belize and Guatemala, most thieves are too poor to have bolt cutters/grinders for defeated even real modest locks, and NO lockpicking skills. Areas like Mexico City that have bike theft gangs are different, but then you're whole bike will be gone....but basically the HT tins do offer reasonable security if you park in well lit places. Pop an extra rivet on the clasps in betwenn the two rivets that are there and no one can force a screwdriver in betwen like someon tried (their screwdriver broke but a bigger one would have worked)

Misterdee, well spoken. I can see hard boxes for security, but the soft Tour Master bags remove so easily (depends on how you mount them), you can take them with you. My thing with the hard boxes: I heard about a guy on a KLR who broke his leg when it got caught under the box in a spill..... no bueno. Yes, soft bags will absorb some of the impact and deflect in a low speed dirt crash. And that is why I use them.

Jesse

yeah, almost broke a leg myself a couple times w/ the metal boxes, making a foot dab and getting my leg shot back into the edge of the box...that's why you often see them mounted angled down...I had mine level so I could use the lid for a table when open and for a reduced frontal area for mileage. I would pro'll make an angled "Paddle cut" at the lower front...slicit off and have a sheet welded in.

thanks for all the info. i love this website. great for a rookie like myself. much appreciated help!!!

i guess the more i look into and hear from you folks i'm going to get soft stuff for now and eventually have hard cases

my first trip is a 2 weeker around lake superior so security shoudn't be that big of an issue. i'm going to be mixing the terrain up a bit. looking to get onto a fair number of dirt roads and potentially some single track stuff.

my biggest concern with the soft stuff is it not being a pain in the ass to take it off and strap it down everytime. also don't want to have it in the way when riding. any suggestions for exhaust issues? keeping in mind i'm going to try and leave in a couple of weeks...are the suggested brands good to go or do they require modificaitons to the KLR?

i understand that the Wolfman stuff is not waterproof.

you can get away w/o racks on the KLR if you don't mind having the bags forward so the bags almost hit the back of your legs. This gets them forward enough to be away from the exhaust...and greatly inproves handling. The downside is that you then cannot extend your legs backwards to use the passenger pegs occasionally on long hauls for a different position. Also you then sit on the straps going over the seat, but I used a sheepskin anyway so it did not matter. Did my first Baja ytrip this way, worked like a charm.

I have that same set of bags. They do come with rain covers. I'm using the $80 Ebay side protection. Keeps the bags away from the pipe and plastic side panel on the other side.

sweet! thanks for the photos.

can i get away without the racks? do raincovers come with those bags? i'm liking that set up but i'm not sure i have the time or finances for the racks right now.

I just got the coretech's and they come with a rain covers. I moved them forward to avoid the exhaust and they work fine. My girl can still get her feet on the rear pegs but does have to have them a bit forward. works great.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Soft luggage is great for MOST applications. No, you do not have the security of hard luggage, but I carry all my important things in my tankbag that easily detaches and goes where I go.

For my money - no it is NOT cheap - I went with Wolfman Luggage. At present I have their Explorer Tankbag, Tank Panniers, Alfa Rear bag and Duffel bag. I think I have enough capacity for a two week trip, including the kitchen sink.

On and off is a snap, the security is excellent, it provides lots of retro-reflective pieces so you "glow" at night and is an excellent value.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Here's a link:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/BikeType/klr.html

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

i am back in the hunt and have decided on hard cases. 2 side cases and a tail case. i want to eventually mount a rod/gun holder on one of them.

any suggestions on brands and sources? i've seen tourtech but they are out of this world pricing.

doing a tour across canada this summer/fall and would really appreciate some leads.

i'm trying to say b/w $500 and $1000 for the cases if at all possible but willing to spend more if it will last and i can easily transfer to a new bike.

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...