Life better after the G.O.A.T?

Just went to Steel City this weekend , and i must say i didn't my Ricky one darn bit. Those ended up being the best two 450 class motos that i have ever witnessed. It was extremely close and riders were battling for postion for the lead for once:eek:

Don't get me wrong RC is a phenominal rider, but i was getting pretty :censored: sick of seeing him pull a 50 second lead week in and week out and have crazy drunken fans go ballistic ceering him on:excuseme: His dominance made the races not even worth watching, after all you knew exactly what was going to happen every week.

I personally am overwhelmed with excitement with the future racing in the sport of motocross now that the GOAT is out to pasture. I can't to attend future races or tune in on TV to watch an exciting and unpredicitable race:busted:

This is just my opinion and i'm sure i'll take heat for it, but this is america after all.

let me know what you guys think

I agree. I like a few other riders alot more than RC and JS. Not to say that I don't think that they're great riders, it just that I've always rooted for the underdog. A sure bet isn't a bet at all IMO. I think it will get interesting next year. JS is fast, but he's being studied under a microscope year after year and the top guys like Langston, Reed, Short, Preston, Ferry and yes even Vuillimen are catching on and are going to close the gap soon.

i think you are on crack

Whats up with the "fu" man?? Be cool brother. We just like to kick it and shoot the shit 'round here. I got all nutz when I first joined and got shut down hard. Just a friendly tip. ?

It's nice to see guys batteling for the lead, but it's pretty dissapointing that the lites class is faster by 3 seconds per lap than the motocross class. I can't get enough of watching Ricky ride, he just shows amazing speed and talent everytime he rides.

These guys that are now batteling for the lead have been doing the same thing for years, before though it was for 3rd or 4th place. I think the racing is worse now without Ricky.

It's nice to see guys batteling for the lead, but it's pretty dissapointing that the lites class is faster by 3 seconds per lap than the motocross class. I can't get enough of watching Ricky ride, he just shows amazing speed and talent everytime he rides.

These guys that are now batteling for the lead have been doing the same thing for years, before though it was for 3rd or 4th place. I think the racing is worse now without Ricky.

I agree with you that it is just amazing to watch Ricky ride, there is a lot to learn from watching him. On the other hand, i am more excited about the actual title chase now than i have been in years, it is great to see 4 guys battling vs 1 walking away with it year after year.

yeah i have to say i am following a lot more closely now than ever before this season has been great, the first few races we had RC and JS battling and now with them out we have 4 guys pulling hard for the title so we have had the best of both worlds this season:thumbsup:

What I was getting at was that it is nice to see guys actually battle for something that means something, there are 4 guys with a chance to win the title ( as opposed to Ricky running away with it as usual:snore: )

Maybe i'm weird but i would rather watch a bunch of slow guys dice it up for 30 minutes than RC destroy the slwo guys for 30 minutes. It actually makes the sport exciting to watch again, and not just some boring rerun:applause:

RC and Stewart make the rest of those guys look like chumps collecting paychecks. When they are gone, the chumps all take turns leading races because none of them are winners.

I like to see a good race too but I expect them to step up and race with the best, not race with each other. With RC and Stewart gone, you're basically just watching "the battle for 3rd and 4th," but instead it happens to be the battle for first.

No argument here, RC and Stewart are the best of the best, but i would rather watch a bunch of "chumps" race eaach other for supremacy among the chumps and a championship than justt 3rd place.

IDK why or even how someone would rather watch RC run away with a race and lap the whole field rather than see a tight battle for the lead the entire race, IMO

I'll continue to debate just because I'm bored at work. When I watch the nationals, I expect to see the best in the world ride, and Ricky is the best. If I want to watch some bar-banging action I can head out to the local track and watch any class there.

The difference between watching the local guys race and the pros race is that the pros are racing for the most prestigous outdoor mx title in the world. There really is no comparison. Alot more is on the line.

Just went to Steel City this weekend , and i must say i didn't my Ricky one darn bit. Those ended up being the best two 450 class motos that i have ever witnessed. It was extremely close and riders were battling for postion for the lead for once:eek:

Don't get me wrong RC is a phenominal rider, but i was getting pretty :censored: sick of seeing him pull a 50 second lead week in and week out and have crazy drunken fans go ballistic ceering him on:excuseme: His dominance made the races not even worth watching, after all you knew exactly what was going to happen every week.

I personally am overwhelmed with excitement with the future racing in the sport of motocross now that the GOAT is out to pasture. I can't to attend future races or tune in on TV to watch an exciting and unpredicitable race:busted:

This is just my opinion and i'm sure i'll take heat for it, but this is america after all.

You'll get no heat from me. I like RC, JS, CR etc... as much as I do all of them. But it should be clear that I, like you, am primarily a SX/MX fan. I want to see a good race. JS and RC needed each other the past few years. The 2006 SX series was the best racing I 've ever seen because of the competition.

At least you aren't swinging off of RC's nuts like many people are. He's gone and I'll miss seeing him. But I'm still going to follow the sport.

You'll get no heat from me. I like RC, JS, CR etc... as much as I do all of them. But it should be clear that I, like you, am primarily a SX/MX fan. I want to see a good race. JS and RC needed each other the past few years. The 2006 SX series was the best racing I 've ever seen because of the competition.

At least you aren't swinging off of RC's nuts like many people are. He's gone and I'll miss seeing him. But I'm still going to follow the sport.

Totally agree, 2006 was the best year for racing. If every year was like that, the sport would be blessed.

I completely agree. A couple of years ago, my clan almost decided to fore-go RedBud due to the "Ricky Run-Aways." We couldn't stay away though.. the atmosphere and fireworks are far too alluring. However, pro racing very nearly got boring with only two front-men.

RC and Stewart make the rest of those guys look like chumps collecting paychecks. When they are gone, the chumps all take turns leading races because none of them are winners.

I like to see a good race too but I expect them to step up and race with the best, not race with each other. With RC and Stewart gone, you're basically just watching "the battle for 3rd and 4th," but instead it happens to be the battle for first.

I don't think the rest are not winners, they are just very unfortunate to be a professional rider at the WRONG time. The difference between Ricky and the rest of the field in the outdoors is not normal. Had Ricky not came along, motocross today probably wouldn't be much different than the previous 20 years - numerous riders winning single and multiple championships. Everyone would have considered them winners then. Unfortunately, they had to deal with a rare freak of nature that basically eliminated any hope of winning a championship (or even a moto for that matter) for the last 10 years. Even though Ricky is now gone, any rider that wins the championship (who was never able to beat Ricky head to head) will always be in Rickys shadow (and never viewed as a great rider). Let's say GL wins this year and the next 3 championships. People will say so what. He couldn't beat Ricky or even come close. This will likely continue until a champion comes along who had never raced against Ricky professionally (or at least very little). The rest of the current 450 field today are all in a no win situation.

As the original post states, it is exciting to see competitive racing for the title, however, a very special time in Motocross has ended. For that reason, it is very disappointing.

I don't think the rest are not winners, they are just very unfortunate to be a professional rider at the WRONG time. The difference between Ricky and the rest of the field in the outdoors is not normal. Had Ricky not came along, motocross today probably wouldn't be much different than the previous 20 years - numerous riders winning single and multiple championships. Everyone would have considered them winners then. Unfortunately, they had to deal with a rare freak of nature that basically eliminated any hope of winning a championship (or even a moto for that matter) for the last 10 years. Even though Ricky is now gone, any rider that wins the championship (who was never able to beat Ricky head to head) will always be in Rickys shadow (and never viewed as a great rider). Let's say GL wins this year and the next 3 championships. People will say so what. He couldn't beat Ricky or even come close. This will likely continue until a champion comes along who had never raced against Ricky professionally (or at least very little). The rest of the current 450 field today are all in a no win situation.

As the original post states, it is exciting to see competitive racing for the title, however, a very special time in Motocross has ended. For that reason, it is very disappointing.

Well said. It has been in a way a privilege to be alive at a time in MX to watch the talent, drive, and tenacity of someone like RC. He may go off the front when he races, and that may make it boring for some to watch if you are waiting to see bar-to-bar action, but watching him circulate & attack the track even if he is by himself was still cool. I will miss watching some of those come-from-behind performances where he made his way to the front to battle JS(think Washougal last year where he came from WAY back to pass JS). He has been my favorite rider for a long time, and I will miss seeing him ride.

That being said, it will be cool also to see more evenly matched riders(at with Steel City this past week) swap the lead & be motivated by realizing they not only have a chance at a moto win, but a title as well. This is the nature of sport, a dominant athlete or dynasty has to end for some reason at some point, and there will be new battles engaged to watch and new performances to enjoy watching. Look at all of the potential coming up in the 250 class now. We will miss RC in the future, but with all of those young guys coming up the next decadde should be exciting, too. Let's give them a chance.

Maybe i'm weird but i would rather watch a bunch of slow guys dice it up for 30 minutes than RC destroy the slwo guys for 30 minutes...

That's awesome...........calling the guys battling for 3rd and 4th at the most prestigious mx races series in the world a "bunch of slow guys". Don't worry, I know where you're coming from, it was just funny to read that.......

Nothing beat watching RC come around the first lap in 15th place and have a 20 second lead by the end of the moto.