FCR Carb...Why so expensive? Good returns?

I'm looking to do some mods on my 07 drz SM. I've got a complete stainless Yoshi RS3 system coming (wanted TI but...) and I'll do the 3x3 mod. But I'm sure we all hit this mark and say...do i buy the jet kit for my 36mm standard carb or do I purchase an FCR and jet that bad boy? Then the price hits you...how on earth are these carbs worth $500 odd bucks US!!! DO they come with free leather pants?! I know I know, you get what you pay for but holy batman that's a fair wack for a carby. Is there secondhand ones around?

So here's my question, is it worth it? What increase in HP am I likely to see with the bigger carb and is it worth nigh on $1000 NZ dollars or should I stick to simply getting the james dean kit for my 36mm?

Thanks for your feedback on this guys, I'm sure everyone before me has hit this point and thought the same thing. :excuseme:

Basically in the journey for more power, it is an inevitable step!

Its a Flat slide Carb for one, That will give you alot quicker response!

Its also 3mm bigger, therefore allowing more flow.

Quicker response + more flow = More power that you really feel.

When i installed mine, after i'd already got a full exhaust & rejeted my carb with 3x3, the smile on my face was soo worth every penny. £250 ($500 US) well spent! and that was 2nd hand!

They are Pricey because so many people want them! If you can find a second hand one, that looks to be in good condition go for it! ?

If you can only buy new, its still worth it!

Then the price hits you...how on earth are these carbs worth $500 odd bucks US!!! D

For $500 you get your best bang for your buck. I think a fair estimate on power increase would be 3-5HP. % wise that is alot on a 35HP bike. A carb is fairly complicated with many moving parts. An exhaust is just a piece of SS bent to fit. With some wadding jammed in the end (I realize there is more to it than that such as R&D) and most people don't hesitate on dropping $500+ on an exhaust. I was happy with re-jetting my Mikuni carb. It made a drastic difference on how my bike performed https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542625&page=3

That is the difference a jet kit made. look at the fuel curve.

In addition to the added hp, the fcr/mx is very easy to jet. You do not have to take anything off the bike to change the main/pilot jets and you just have to take the seat off to play with/change the needle. That in itself is worth it for me. If you do get a second hand carb I would look for the fcr/mx as opposed to an older style. That being said, it's easy to be caught in the mods addiction. The dj kit with the mikuni 3x3 and the pipe works pretty well... might want to try that first.

i bough a second hand fcr41/mx for 150 $ they all say here 39mx runs better

on our bikes with stock motor. i am very happy with mine much better throttle response wonderfull top-end and cheap best mod.?

I'm looking to do some mods on my 07 drz SM. I've got a complete stainless Yoshi RS3 system coming (wanted TI but...) and I'll do the 3x3 mod. But I'm sure we all hit this mark and say...do i buy the jet kit for my 36mm standard carb or do I purchase an FCR and jet that bad boy? Then the price hits you...how on earth are these carbs worth $500 odd bucks US!!! DO they come with free leather pants?! I know I know, you get what you pay for but holy batman that's a fair wack for a carby. Is there secondhand ones around?

So here's my question, is it worth it? What increase in HP am I likely to see with the bigger carb and is it worth nigh on $1000 NZ dollars or should I stick to simply getting the james dean kit for my 36mm?

Thanks for your feedback on this guys, I'm sure everyone before me has hit this point and thought the same thing. :excuseme:

SMFCRCONVERSIONHP.jpg

Do you guys get the constant speed surge when you put an FCR on like the race bikes have?

I had an FCR on my YZ and it ran like a scalded dog but if you were trying to run a steady speed it surged so bad you couldn't talk in an easy voice.