CT70'rs-need some help

Headlight Ears: If you are referring to the metal brackets on the forks that the headlight bucket bolts into, then yes, you should be able to bend them back. However.... the metal is thin and may crack!

Speedo and Headlight: If you have them, it shouldn't be a big deal. There is a rubber gasket that goes around the speedo that you will need. When I restored my CT-70 I couldn't find a source for replacing the gasket, so I ended up making one from black silicone. It was "OK", but not perfect. The headlight mounts in the plastic bucket. So as long as the wires are there is should just plug in. Almost all the plastic buckets are cracked on these old bikes, but it's not hard to find replacements.

Rust: You can't regenerate metal! Depending on how bad the rust is, and where it is, you can use something like Naval Jelly to naturalize the rust, then seal it with an epoxy primer. Follow that with Bondo, primer, and paint.

andy t.

good website...thank you

i've done a fair amount if research, i have a folder in my favorites just for CT70s ? so i porbably have it in there. but i do not have the one you have me, thanks

the one i like has been relisted several times, the price is lower everytime. haha. no one ever bids. starting bid is 500

There are a few indicators for years... The graphics would indicate it is '72 or newer. There are a few sites that show the graphics by year, so a bit of research would be prudent. The broken kickstarter shaft would worry me. I'm pretty sure you will need to crack the case to replace it. And I'm guessing the part won't be cheap either. The missing headlight bucket and headlight is not problem to replace. The speedo most likely will be difficult to source. Also the ignition (key) switch is missing. That's another thing that will most likely be difficult to find. On a positive note... If this is a 4sp manual, they are rare. Most of the CT70's were 3sp semi-auto. I didn't do much research on eBay to see what's out there, but historically these little bikes run for $1,000 to $1,500. I sold mine about 4 years ago for $1,200. Shop around!!!! My restoration cost about $500.00, and I did all the work!

andy t.

There are a few indicators for years... The graphics would indicate it is '72 or newer. There are a few sites that show the graphics by year, so a bit of research would be prudent. The broken kickstarter shaft would worry me. I'm pretty sure you will need to crack the case to replace it. And I'm guessing the part won't be cheap either. The missing headlight bucket and headlight is not problem to replace. The speedo most likely will be difficult to source. Also the ignition (key) switch is missing. That's another thing that will most likely be difficult to find. On a positive note... If this is a 4sp manual, they are rare. Most of the CT70's were 3sp semi-auto. I didn't do much research on eBay to see what's out there, but historically these little bikes run for $1,000 to $1,500. I sold mine about 4 years ago for $1,200. Shop around!!!! My restoration cost about $500.00, and I did all the work!

andy t.

yep, the 4 speeds are cool! i see several on ebay that go for 1000+, but this one is a complete beater bike. i think he meant that the kickstarter was broken, not the crank. i know that parts will be hard to get but on ebay it is shocking the amount of parts that are listed. i was thinking the bike was a 72? ill search google images and match up the graphics.

i got a CT! a 1970 ct70, currently not running, was running last week, we are going to put new piston/rings in, other then that it is mint, it needs some headlight work but it still works and it needs a battery, paint is PERFECT, we got it off ebay, 450 bucks.... ? we are picking it up wed.

I've bought one key from here and it worked great. http://www.hondakeys.com/

You'll need to get the number off the ignition. Keep in mind though, if you do get a key, the ignition can still be bad. I've got a '76 and a '77 trail 70. The '77 ignition was corroded inside and the '76 must have a similar problem cause the headlight quit working (no power to the wires, but power from lighting coil)

Ignitions do come apart, but I havn't found a way yet to do it without breaking them. There are 3 little tabs in plastic and prying on them to get the back of the ign out usually cracks a piece of the case out.