Sign in to follow this  

help heating problem

ok this has been driving me crazy i have a 2003 crf450r that heats up in about 3 min. i mean you cant even touch the engine its so hot but other than the heating problem it runs like a champ but anyway at first i thought it was the left raideator becuase its really beat up so i barowed a friends pair and still the same problem. i then checked the water pump and its fine ive checked the compreshion and all seem fine so im starting to think maybe the head gasket is out what do you guys think???

It's the nature of these bikes, they run very hot, unlike their old air cooled brothers. 10sec of the bike running the pipe is very hot already, funny indeed but its totally normal.:thumbsup:

its not just normal hot its getting so hot that it boils coolent out the overflow ive had the bike since 2004 and have never had this problem before.

You have one of two problems. Either the waterpump shaft seal is leaking causing loss of pressure and overheating or the head gasket is blown. Start with the seal first because it's cheap, easy and needs to be replaced on a 4 year old bike anyway.

If it "boils" the coolant out in 3 minutes its probably a blown head gasket. What's really happening is the head gasket is leaking combustion pressure into the cooling system and pushing it past the cap and blowing it out the over flow tube. It may take a minute or two for the head gasket to leak and then puke the coolant, but thats more than likely whats going down.