Sign in to follow this  

Another Clear Creek Planning Process

The BLM has announced three scoping meetings to help them prepare an EIS for Clear Creek. The planning process that concluded in Jan. 2006 concerned the routes and barrens. I am not clear what the BLM is trying to accomplish with this new EIS aside from creating a new health risk assessment in conjunction with a report due to be released by the EPA. I see it as an opportunity to address some of the mistakes made in the last process and to perhaps come up with better wet season closure rules.

Here is a link to the BLM announcement last Thursday: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2007/september/CCMNews0770_CCMA_NOI.html

Here are the dates for the public meetings:

All public meetings will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. The date and location of each meeting are listed below:

September 27 - Veterans Memorial Hall

649 San Benito St.

Hollister

October 4 - Harris Ranch Garden Ballroom

24505 W. Dorris Ave.

Coalinga

October 11 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library Room 225

150 E. San Fernando St.

San Jose

As I learn more I will post on my blog. I haven't kept it up much lately but now there will be something to write about. http://www.salinasramblersmc.org/Tobin/Blog/blog.htm

Please keep us posted. I am very wary of any EIS having been in the mix with the Route Designation Plan which is a fast track to closure of most of our Forest trails.

It appears that this EIS will deal mainly with risk assessment. EPA is due out with their final report soon and I expect that they will recommend closure or additional limitations over and above the seasonal closure (6/1 thro 10/15)

I signed up for the mailings, I can't make the meetings. The EPA study will make or break the area. If it is a bad study I am very afraid of what will happen, CC is a great riding area. We need to watch this one.

I'm getting worn out fighting all these closures - they are going on everywhere.

We need people to show up for these meetings.

my bet, EPA will close it year round. Bye Bye Miss American pie.

TELL the EPA to let you ride with a MASK. They let us ride with helmets