MCNews dual sport comparison

I just got the latest issue of MCNews. The front page article is a comparison of the DR650, BMW Xcountry, the XR650L, and the new KLR650. The KLR650 came out on top as the best overall adventure tourer, but the DR650 was a close second in almost every category. It's interesting that the XChallange wasn't included.

I'm amazed that all the publications that test Dual Sport bikes rate the KLR so high, Ive ridden both and the DR650 is far better. The KLR is very top heavy, has terrible brakes, non-spring loaded footbrakes, the list goes on. It does have a bigger tank, but it is metal will dent. While the DR needs stiffer springs and a better seat, it is far better in the dirt, and in my opinion as good as the KLR on the street.The 08 model only address some of those issues.

I've never ridden either but have seriously considered both the new KLR and the DR as my next bike. I did get from the article that all the DR needs is improved suspension and seat and it would easily be the best 650 dual sport they tested. Wouldn't seem those are two things that would be all that difficult to get improved in the aftermarket. It's back to number one on my wish list.

As with all factory true dual sports (not plated dirt bikes) the suspension will need work for anything more that light dirt use. I owned an XR650L for close to 10 years, out of the 650's it had the better suspension from the 3 out of Japan. I am in the process of buying a new DR650 and yes the seat needs work to say the least. It seems like the KLR is moving more and more towards a full street bike than a dual sport bike. It seems like they are wanting to compete with the KTM950's and the BMW1000's. If that is the case the engine better grow some cc's.

The KLR,DR,and XR are all good bikes, you just have to know what you want to ride more of, dirt or street. I ride both equally so the DR is my choice.

RH