Sign in to follow this  

Help Me Pick The Best Tires

Michelin S12 on the front with 14psi

Michelin AC10 on the rear with 12psi.

One rim lock on the front two on the rear.

Both with heavy duty tubes.

Its a killer combo in the dirt. Hangs in well enough on the tar (not so good on wet tar though).

Keep it dirty..

I have not found a good dual sport tire. Infact the best dual sport tire is the trailwing IMHO. If your taking the trailwings off, put a non DOT dirt tire back on for off road use. Someone mentioned the M-21 above. I have a set of lightly used M-21's that I'm selling. I did not like them at all.

In the hardpack and rocks I am impressed with the D606 all around. In the soft mud and sand they are not as good. Mine are wearing very good.

M-12 or better yet an H-12 on the rear and S-12 on the front. You will be glad you did. Good Luck:ride:vanram

It really boils down to:

1) How you ride

2) Where you ride

3) What you ride

4) What you wanna spend

Period...

Every situation is different for "whatever" the reason... :thumbsup:

I have got the teraflex on the back and MT21 on the front. Very happy off road, and do some considerable time (50%) on the roads and highway with this set up. Very stable and good handling on both dirt and street. Street at 70+ miles an hour when new gave me a bit of wobble, but after I had a couple hundred miles on them, it calmed down. Now 75+ on the highway is fine. I have about 1500 miles on them now, and have used about half the tread depth on the knobbies.

I would not even consider getting on the road in the rain with this set up though. First time I tried it, it felt like walking up hill on a sheet of ice. Won't try it again, unless I am stuck somewhere and have no options.

I will go back to the same set up likely when this set wears out.

I second the Dunlop 606's. Great DOT dualsport tire that last a long time for every terrain except sand.

Living in Florida I ride in sand alot. 606's are fair at best in sand. Just ordered Kenda K777F for the front and TrackMaster II for the rear. I'll post how there do when I get them on and try them... It'll give me a great excuse to get out and ride in every kind of terrain I can possible find....:busted: OH YEA!

Seems like most pair the Trackmaster II rear with a MT16, AC10, E660, 777, etc front.

What exactly is it about the 760 front that's so undesirable?

Tipsy

Seems like most pair the Trackmaster II rear with a MT16, AC10, E660, 777, etc front.

Tipsy

Don't know just have not heard anything good about one on the front.

Over 3,000 miles on my 606's, dirt and road!!!!

I'm on my second set of 606's and they are good, just want to try and find something that works better in heavy sand like ocala......

Guns

I went with the terror-flex,the big one.weird on the street till i busted some "controlled burns" on the tar.Pirreli scorpion pro on the front.I ride 50/50.off road around here is a variety of conditions.sand,sand with baseball to basketball sized rounded stones.Tight single track with roots, rocks,leaves,branches,ect...hardpack dirt,gravel roads.The only part of any of these conditions that is scary is the gravel.I can control the power slide with the teraflex but it takes getting used to.And on the wet pavement i drive like granny(of course burnin' out from stops is sooo fun)

6 psi in the rear 12 in the front.

Dual rimlocks in the rear,single in the front.

Extra heavy duty tubes in both.

I also geared it from stock(15-44) to 14-47 keeping the stock chain.

The change in this bike with these mods with the taller bars is what i was looking for in a dual sport.

Completely transformed machine(though still feels too heavy...cant have it all i guess)But i'm lovin' it

Just my experience...hope this helps,

-James

Tipsy

I don't know exactly. I simply read A LOT of posts from people all over the US(riding different types of terrain) and they all said the same thing. The 760 front Sucks. So when I decided(early on) to ditch the Deathwings, I just took a look at what some of the more aggressive Dual Sport riders were running and based my decision on that. All I can tell you is that a MT-16 front, TM II rear combination Rocks. Truly awesome combination. The only downside would be that the MT-16 gets pretty noisy(on the pavement) after several hundred miles of use. I just remind myself I'm riding a Dirt Bike on the Highway -- and how well they hook up in the soft stuff.:busted:

Hi everyone!

I see a serious tire discussion is taking place here :busted:

so I would like to add one more question for those who know :moon:

I couildn't find a D606 so I bought a Michelin T63 for my "S".

Will be fitting it next week.

But before fitting them I would like to hear some opinions on these tires.

How good/bad are they on hard pack? mud? sand? trails? tarmac? grass?

I'm looking to do 60% tarmac and 40% forest roads, mountain trails, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Another vote for the Kenda TrackMaster rear tire, its a 90% dirt 10% street tire, and it loves mud, sand, anything loose. They fit my type of riding and my budget, Perfect!!!

As far as the front goes, I went from a M16 to a Trackmaster front tire and I must say that the M16 felt scary loose on the steet but does better in the dirt than the Trackmaster. If you do alot of road consider the TM front.

There both good tires.

Maxxis Desert IT front and rear with rim locks non dot. They are good in the rocks and sand. In fact they are good everywhere even on the street. I prefer to give up a little street traction for dirt traction but then again it is a dual sport. drz4.jpg