Why, exactly, am I too short for this bike?

Inspired by er193's "potential" thread.

I am 5'4" tall and a buck forty, and I ride an '08 KLX450R and a '92 KX250. Both of these bikes are tall for my 30" inseam.

I've been told many times that I might want to try a different bike (one that is shorter, of course). Why do some people feel the need to tell me this? I am fully aware of my short legs, (fall over!) and tall bikes. I deal with it.

I understand that some riders are "paddlers" that sit most of the time and have thier feet on the ground a lot, and these type of riders are usually the ones to comment on my choice of bike. Some of these "paddlers" are really quick on the trail, but I prefer to stay on the pegs. I really don't understand why some people feel the need to tell me I need a shorter bike.

I can reach the pegs just fine, and that is all that matters to me. I just wonder why some people think that they need to tell me I need a shorter bike.

torch

im in the same boat man... im a lil bigger then u but still small for my bike... i ride a 03 yz450 and i ride only trails... this being my first bike i don't know how a smaller bike would be... my bud has a klx450r andi notice that its a lot nice ride cuz of how narrow the frame is.... im like 5'8''-5'9'' and like 200lbs, i have really short legs tho when compaired to my upper tourso so i know where ur comin from with not always being able to put my feet down... no i really only have to when im riding tight single track and have learnd to cope with it alot better then when i started a few months ago.... all the bikes are pretty much the same hight and weight... theres some difference but for the most part there all the same in a trail situation so i guess i short people lose.... how u like that KLX? i love ridin my boys its got alot more power then i thought it would.... ur battery go dead?

do they even make smaller bikes? i think its funny when people complain about being way to short and im only 5"2 and ride a full size 2001 kx125 no its not always easy to get on it and when i stop i do hang off the side of the bike big deal i can live with it the power is definatley worth it:ride:

Inspired by er193's "potential" thread.

I am 5'4" tall and a buck forty, and I ride an '08 KLX450R and a '92 KX250. Both of these bikes are tall for my 30" inseam.

I've been told many times that I might want to try a different bike (one that is shorter, of course). Why do some people feel the need to tell me this? I am fully aware of my short legs, (fall over!) and tall bikes. I deal with it.

I understand that some riders are "paddlers" that sit most of the time and have thier feet on the ground a lot, and these type of riders are usually the ones to comment on my choice of bike. Some of these "paddlers" are really quick on the trail, but I prefer to stay on the pegs. I really don't understand why some people feel the need to tell me I need a shorter bike.

I can reach the pegs just fine, and that is all that matters to me. I just wonder why some people think that they need to tell me I need a shorter bike.

torch

Well, I was going to ask you why you have a 450F since you can't use it to its full potential :ride: but since you already have one I can't understand why anyone would tell you you need a shorter bike ?

:bonk:

Don't even worry about it, as long as you're comfortable on the bike. I was at a track down in NC racing a couple years ago, and there was a girl on an RMZ250. She had to have people hold the bike up for her (too short to even use starting blocks) and she flat out HAULED. She rides B class now...Holly something.