Sign in to follow this  

Checking crankcase oil after a week of not riding?

The owner manual shows the procedure for checking that there's enough oil in the crankcase before starting the engine after a week of not riding. Do you guys do this or is this for people who are burning oil or seeing drips on their parking space? I have a 2005 SM that seems to be in decent shape and it seems weird to have to do this.

Thanks for any info,

Rob

2005 DRZ400SM

I've had my bike for almost 6 years now and I have never checked that little plug :thumbsup: Unless you have some oil loss issues, there's not much use for it.

Unless there is a puddle of oil under your bike just warm her up and check... ...I beleive that procedure you have mentioned is more for when the bike has been stored for long extended periods...not a week.

...I beleive that procedure you have mentioned is more for when the bike has been stored for long extended periods...not a week.

That's what I would think, but it actually says a week in the owner's manual. I'll probably just check it after the winter and if I start seeing some oil loss on the dipstick in the future.

Rob

If the last time you rode, the oil was fine, you parked the bike, then a while later, you go for a ride, as long as there is no signs of a oil leak, I would not bother to check anything before you start ut. Warm the bike up for a few minutes, do a oil check to be sure it is not a little low.

I check my oil after I ride. I think I've only added oil to my bike one time. That was because is was under filled after an oil change.