Sign in to follow this  

ACTUAL cost of 4 stroke maintenance??

I've been thinking about picking up my nieghbors YZ250F. I am just so scared of the $$$COST$$$ of maintenance. What is usual cost when one goes pop??

I've been riding my CR125 for abotu 7 months and it has been very good with not to many problems at all.

What would be actual cost of....

1. Oil Change (incl. filter)

2. Air Filter change

3. Valve adjustment (and also how often does a 4 stroke really need to be adjusted?)

4. If the motor does blow, what am I looking at cost wise??

Please list any other maintenance along with the cost of it.

DO yuo recommend the switch?? (2 smoke to 4 stroke)

They aren't that bad unless they blow up, but if you maintain it properly and know when to rebuild it if it has time on it, then it won't blow up. Air filter is the same as a two stroke, just clean and oil it often. Oil change is just the cost of a quart of oil and a filter (which is a couple bucks). You don't have to change the filter every oil change, I do mine every third oil change. You don't need to pay someone to check you valve adjustment, it is an easy job that anyone can do in a half hour using the manual. They should be checked about every 10-15 hours of riding time. Other than that, the rest of the maintenance is the same as a two stroke (greasing links, steering head, lubing chain, changing tires, sprockets, ect.). If your engine has been shimmed a couple times and it needs to be again, it would be smart to just do a rebuild, that would save you the cost of a total engine when a valve breaks and goes through the head.

I've spent more damn money in 2 stroke oil then Ive ever spent on my four stroke...plus the damn four stroke get WAY better fuel millage. If it kabooms and costs me 2 grand to fix I think I will still pocket a couple hundred over my 2 stroke lol

Maintenance is easy...just change the oil. If the valves start to move, get a valve job done, but they wont really wear out quickly unless your using a shitty air filter. Pulling cams is simple so dont be scared about top ends..

They aren't that bad unless they blow up, but if you maintain it properly and know when to rebuild it if it has time on it, then it won't blow up. Air filter is the same as a two stroke, just clean and oil it often. Oil change is just the cost of a quart of oil and a filter (which is a couple bucks). You don't have to change the filter every oil change, I do mine every third oil change. You don't need to pay someone to check you valve adjustment, it is an easy job that anyone can do in a half hour using the manual. They should be checked about every 10-15 hours of riding time. Other than that, the rest of the maintenance is the same as a two stroke (greasing links, steering head, lubing chain, changing tires, sprockets, ect.). If your engine has been shimmed a couple times and it needs to be again, it would be smart to just do a rebuild, that would save you the cost of a total engine when a valve breaks and goes through the head.

By the looks of your bike you know how to maintain them. haha.

So it sorta plays out like this.....

2 stroke basic maintenance....

1. Air filter

2. Oil change

3. Make sure you mix the gas <-- Had to add it because it is something you have to think about when it comes to 2 versus 4 stroke maint.

4 stroke basic maintenance....

1. Air filter

2. Oil Change

3. Oil Filter

4. Valve adjustment

I'm 16 and I can keep mine going and have spending money. I work 25 hours a week during the school year though and plenty more than that during the summer. I have had no problems with mine, so I just buy oil, cleaners and gas and do preventive maintenence. If you are going to have to pay for a car and insurance and gas when the time comes, good luck having all that. 4 strokes are not bad at all as long as you take care of them. Learn how to work on them, it saves you alot.

4 strokes arent bad on "planned maintenance" but its the little unexpected things that happen that'll cost ya

I am not going to have to pay for insurance, or the truck but I will have to pay for gas.

I did hear the Yamaha's are really good on valves. Is this true??

I am not legally allowed to work as a 14 year old during school. Only during the summer. I am getting a job next summer. Then I will probably be able to afford one. I think I am going to try to save 50% of what I make between now and then, then sell my bike, and buy a 250F. From now til then I will just ride my CR125. I hope I can ride alot of 250F's between now and then tho. I really am dying to ride one.

You heard correct. Yamahas are very realiable. you should be fine with maintenance and cost anf everything. like everybody else said change the oil and do preventative maintance you'll be fine. 👍

Buying a new 4 stroke and maintaining it properly shouldn't be too bad.

-Change oil every 200-300 miles (3-5 rides?)

-Clean/oil airfilter every ride. Be sure to use a good air filter oil

-Check valve clearances every 500 or so miles

I'm not sure I'd buy a used new style 4 stroke (YZ, WR, CRF, KXF, RMZ) unless I know the owner, their maintenence habits, and their riding style. There are too many unknown variables to buy a used bike and expect it to be durable or reliable.

Just had to say it, KTM is testing some kind of coil on the sparkplug that will eliminate premixing gas!👍

How is a coil on the spark plug going to provide lubrication?👍 I think you got your wires crossed.

How is a coil on the spark plug going to provide lubrication?👍 I think you got your wires crossed.

idk someone said something like that in the KTM forums....ill find the thread, i probably have it wrong:crazy:

2 things here;

First to the guy that mention a coil on the plug to eliminate mixing gas, WTH!! How placing a coil on the plug eliminate the need to lube your cylinder?

Ok, for the main topic. Everything that was said so far has been great information. One thing I would point out and not b/c I own a KTM, b/c its worth mentioning. When it comes to adjusting valves, the KTM is to freakin easy in fact it's just as easy as changing the oil. On the Jap bikes which I also really like, they are a PITA to adjust and very time consuming, but can still be done at home. Just a thought, KTM very very easy to maintain!!!!!!

2 things here;

First to the guy that mention a coil on the plug to eliminate mixing gas, WTH!! How placing a coil on the plug eliminate the need to lube your cylinder?

Ok, for the main topic. Everything that was said so far has been great information. One thing I would point out and not b/c I own a KTM, b/c its worth mentioning. When it comes to adjusting valves, the KTM is to freakin easy in fact it's just as easy as changing the oil. On the Jap bikes which I also really like, they are a PITA to adjust and very time consuming, but can still be done at home. Just a thought, KTM very very easy to maintain!!!!!!

read my last few posts:thumbsup:

The maintenance aspect has been hit, but the wear is also how you ride the bike. If you are bouncing off the rev limiter all the time your valves will wear a lot quicker (reguardless of maintenance) then if you take it easy and stay a bit lower in the rpm range.

read my last few posts:thumbsup:

must have posted at the same time, your correction was not there when I was writing my post.....sorry

must have posted at the same time, your correction was not there when I was writing my post.....sorry

no problem, i shoulda checked up better beofre i made that post:thumbsup:

they maintained the bikes really well.

so adj the valves is something you can also do at home???