Keihin 39mm FCR-MX Install, DR650

Quick guys, ... What clip position should I put my new needle that Rob sent me. Got the carb on the table and installing the 155 main, 35 leak, Merge spring, and the new emp-5 (I think that is what he sent me). Thanks for the assist.

Quick guys, ... What clip position should I put my new needle that Rob sent me. Got the carb on the table and installing the 155 main, 35 leak, Merge spring, and the new emp-5 (I think that is what he sent me). Thanks for the assist.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the needle is just an "EMP" and the -5 is clip position 5.

Thanks pal. I put it in position 5 on a hunch that might be the case. Now I'm wrestling with the pump arm (plastic linkage) trying to get that thing disconected from the push rod so I can install the merge spring. Not having much luck and afraid to force anything too much. I don't want to break something with ignorance. Any tips on making the spring install?

Well, now I've gone and done it!? I got the push rod disconnected after much struggling but I saw that the ball end was tweaked slightly so I tried to straighted it and ... I broke the darned thing (the ball end) off. :eek:

Rob, jeff, anyone ... where can I get another push rod? Man I'm bummed. :applause:

Well, now I've gone and done it!? I got the push rod disconnected after much struggling but I saw that the ball end was tweaked slightly so I tried to straighted it and ... I broke the darned thing (the ball end) off. :eek:

Rob, jeff, anyone ... where can I get another push rod? Man I'm bummed. :applause:

Sounds like an order to Sudco or CPW unless MX Rob or Procycle have one laying around. That is a bummer I just did mine also. I had the bowl cover off and held the pushrod with a pliers while carefully prying up on the black plastic arm. It was also difficult to get it back in it snapped in hard. Good luck when you get the new one:banghead:

Just a nice tug with a pair of pliers will unsnap it from the ball socket. After installing the Merge spring and arm slip the rod back into the hole for the socket and support the black plastic arm with your finger then just press the rod up against the side of the work bench and press the whole carb towards the bench. You'll hear a nice snap as the socket accepts the ball.

Sorry for your carnage Capt! Yeah, the ball end does not want to be tweaked... and it really hates to be broken off. ? I'll check to see if I have any laying around..... I kinda doubt it though. :eek:

Not looking for a free replacement, but a part number and a link or phone number of where I can order it would be good. I still feel sick about breaking that thing. I was so pumped up about getting these parts in and being done with the carb fiddlin. I just want to ride and enjoy all the new settings. <sigh>

Thanks Mr Twister. I ordered it from Sudco. I'll be without my DR for a while but at least it looks like I can get what I need. That $25.00 minimum thing sucks but I ordered a new slide seal which made it work out OK. I tried local dealers and they would have to order it from Sudco too. The guy I talked to knew our MX_Rob well! LOL.

Thanks Mr Twister. I ordered it from Sudco. I'll be without my DR for a while but at least it looks like I can get what I need. That $25.00 minimum thing sucks but I ordered a new slide seal which made it work out OK. I tried local dealers and they would have to order it from Sudco too. The guy I talked to knew our MX_Rob well! LOL.

Chad is good people! :applause: He's the one that was patient enough with me to supply all of the FCR-MX dimensions and answer about a gaggle of DF questions when I was trying to figure out if I could shoe-horn the carb into the DR650. He's not an "isle manager" like the FMF bunch...:ride: It's refreshing to get to talk to intelligent life forms on the phone every now and then. :eek:

Glad you got a AP rod coming Capt! Sounds like it might be helpful if I put a little picture how-to on my web site for the Merge APS install? It does come with instuctions....... but maybe a little video? The spring is a bit funny to install as well. You have to coack the plastic arm well past the timing screw stop and pull up on the spring tang (I use the hook tool out of my o-ring pic set) to engage it with the arm then rotate the arm into position past the timing stop and themn press the arm fully onto the shaft. If you don't pull up on the sring tang it wants to snap back around on you because the plastic arm has to be higher than is normal until you clear the timing adjuster screw. The key thing is to make sure the tang is not jammed against the side of the arm. You need to be able to see the end of the tang when it's in the installed position! ?

Sounds like it might be helpful if I put a little picture how-to on my web site for the Merge APS install? It does come with instuctions....... but maybe a little video?

That would be much appreciated. Mine will be here in a few days!

The spring is a snap compared to getting that fooking push rod to disengage from the link lever. I can't wait to put it back on after paying the $25.00 "stupid charge" LOL. Honestly, I'm just thankful to get things right for that small charge. I have a lot invested in this project and would hate to lose it all now. To be honest, the zip strips were working more then well and I never twist to the hilt so I think I was good to go. This engine makes her best power down low to mid so there is little call for WFO IMHO of course. :eek:

CaptTurbo,

If its any consolation I ordered parts from Sudco last Friday and they arrived here in New York today already. Their website shows 5 days for NY:applause: I decided to take off the extra junk on the side of the FCR and put the stock idle screw in it. Maybe I will get time to post some pics tomorrow if anyone else wants to see it completed. I just have to cut the extra piece of shaft sticking out of the side now.

Thanks Rob. I just got my stuff from Procyle today wish me luck.

Luck? You mean skill and cunning right? Don't let the FCR know your scared. Buy a can of Whoop-Ass and set it next to the carb as you disassemble it. Mention having to open it up if the carb gives you any sh*t. ?

You'll do fine. Remember tight is tight and too tight is broke.

Final statement of actual value. Stick the carb in a clear plastic bag when removing the circlip.... it will be trapped if it goes flying. This works with the needle clip as well. Just lay the needle on a table open side of the clip facing down and press the needle to the table. If it flies off it will be trapped in the bag. Install in the same manner except open side of the clip up.... obviously.

May the FCR gods smile on you and yours. :eek: