85 XR200R, Got a chance to buy one, should I?

A guy has an 85 XR200R forsale locally that I was going to go look at some time soon. I just talked to the guy and he says it runs good, has two carbs (didn't know such as thing on a 200). From what I can tell from this forum is it may be a 4 valve engine, for whatever that is worth.

My question would be is there anything to look out for on this bike other than the obvious with an older bike.

The only thing he told me about the bike was he bought it non running. Said there were some discs ro something like that in the exhaust that he removed, looked like they were carboned up or something and it fired right up.

Any information on what to look for would be appreciated. The price on the bike is 600.00, he paid 400.00 for it and put a new back tire on and a new seat (don't know what that entailed). I'd seen it previously from a short distance and it looked pretty clean. Today I found out he had cleaned it up and painted it (already that way when I had previously seen it), so I can only imagine that all the plastics have been painted red and that when I get a closer look, it won't look as good.

If it was me I would shy away from it. This bike basically used the xr250 motor with dual carbs and is not only heavier, but sometimes harder to start, and it is prone to overheating. The 250's and on up since incorporate an oil cooler to help alleviate the overheating. ON the plus side the engine does generate a little more power than the 2 valve motor.

I avoided the 84-85 XR200's due to the overheating problems, but other people have had great luck with them. When I was searching many were listed with "new head".

I would chance an 85 XR200 that was in great shape, but not one that had been abused.

A tire is less than $50. Seat cover about the same. Many people try to make the bike pretty and never fix the mechanical issues.

If it was me I would shy away from it. This bike basically used the xr250 motor with dual carbs and is not only heavier, but sometimes harder to start, and it is prone to overheating. The 250's and on up since incorporate an oil cooler to help alleviate the overheating. ON the plus side the engine does generate a little more power than the 2 valve motor.

He is right.. they also have valve issues. The two valve motor is way better..

Thanks for the info, if there is any more to be had, please add to this.

I wasn't looking for this bike, it just sort of interested me enough to go take a look at it. According to the owner it runs good, but he hasn't had it out of his yard so how good it runs might be a mystery.

If it ran good and didn't need anything mechanical is 600 over priced, what about 500? It would just be a beater for me to try to blaze new trails on my land in the woods and through/up the creek. Thought it might save some wear and tear on my newer bikes.

Got a chance to look at this bike today and here it runa dn started it as well. I must say I was surprised at the cmopression, based off what it took to kick it over. Fired right up first kick, noticed little if any smoke upon initial startup. It has one of those Super Trap exhaust, and all the discs were removed (although he says he has them). It was a little loud, but he said it ran so much better with out them than it did with them.

I didn't ride the bike, he brought it down to my work in his truck and I didn't want to piss off the neighborhood by riding down the street so I just hoped on it in the back of his truck. I was surprised by how light weight the bike is (especially after someone above mentioned how heavy they were, I'm no he man:)). Throttle responce was very snappy and crisp, better than I figured a old 4 stroke would have been.

In the look department, he did spray paint the plastics, frame and motor. Not a very nice job. The right side panel had a good long crack in it, but that was the only piece that was broken. Had a nice knobby Bridgestone on the back. Both brakes felt good from just rolling it back and forth. Has new grips and a cross bar pad, and the bars didn't appear to be bent. Wheels looked in good shape. Rear sprocket looked extremely well used, counter sprocket looked pretty fair, didn't feel the chain, it was oily.

I am going to have him bring it out to the house Saturday and give it a spin in the timber. It don't look dso good but it sure sound and ran good in the back of his truck. If the tranny works good, I may buy it, but I don't think I'd want to give more than 500.00. Even though I want it to rough around on, I know I'd put some money in to it to spruce it up, I just can't help myself when it comes to fixing things up and making them better.

He says it power wheelies in 3rd, guess I'll find out Saturday.

What do you think?

Dude run as fast as you can from the 1984 & 85 model XR200R's. They were one of the biggest screw ups honda ever built. Any other year XR200R is great. The 4 valve head & twin carbs on the 84&85 models really didn't work well or for very long. I hope to find a 86-88 model for myself some day.