Aaaahhhhh, The joys of only 2 strokes.....

Recently, I was reminded exactly why I like 2smokers.

I read a lot on here about the costs of fixing 4's when the blow up - I only know from what little experience I have with 4's that they can be pretty costly, and sometimes a pain to fix....

Last weekend, my Dad and I were going to his some practice laps behind my house...Well, got the ol kx fired up, and the next thing I knew the motor was done....I did not even get to ride for 5 seconds - started the bike and BOOM...sounded like the crank...oh crap. That really stunk, since I have not been able to ride/race for the past 8 weeks, as we have a new addition to the family...

That being said, I am pretty strapped for time, and cash. Found a few minutes last night to finally take a look at the engine...

I was in my shop for about 20 minutes before I had the head off...the con rod bearing went out...I was gonna do the bottom end anyway, so I got the parts ordered...New everything - crank, rod, bearings, piston, rings, gaskets, the works. Total cost? About 400 bucks. Total time? I have lest say 30 minutes into the teardown, and it will take me about 3 to get the cases back together and the bike running.....

Sometimes it takes something like this to remind me how much I like smokin'.

Ya but how often do you replace your topend in your 2 strokes? I went about 3 years on my topend and just did basic maintainence on my 250f. I only spent about 250 on parts and now she runs like new.

2 years with riding at least once a week, and I still have great compression. ?

Thats funny because just last weekend I realized how nice it is to pull up to the pump and fill my thumper with gas.

Must be nice to pull up to a pump on a dirtbike. Though that has no benefit to me because we have no riding areas around here that have access to a gas station. Gotta use the can from my truck...and that's just as easy for smoker than it is for a thumper.

? i dono about you guys but the big 450 does help if you get into trouble but i can go WAY faster on trails with my old rm250, i get regrets every time i stall my 450. WHY DID I TRADE IT!! ? but in a few years ill be going to either a yz250 with rekluse or a ktm sx250 depends on if the big 4 poke lasts ?

while we are on the topic of 2v4 for the millionth time. i was riding with some buddies the other day. 2 of them are in grade 10 and rock me on the trails. they are backed with spocers and what not. but they dont know jack shit about maintaining their bike. a few comments that i herd were, cody your dust seals are dirty (fork) you should leave them off. i corrected this. with a no clean them put them back in... then his sister that rides i think shes in grade 11 her bike has been leaking oil. i told her to top it up the reply i got back was nah it will be ok. so we went riding. when we got back i checked her oil. she had to change it anyway. only around 350 ish ml came out.

that whole racing family cleans their air filter once every 3 weeks no matther how much riding they do. btw these are yz125's and yz250s 2 strokes. now only a 2 stroke can take abuse like that. i dont even know if they mix correct. but they are still running considering how much they ride "everyday"

i know 1 thing. if i had low oil or my air filter was darker then a chimney my bike wouldent be running right now.

just my 2 cents

Ya but how often do you replace your topend in your 2 strokes? I went about 3 years on my topend and just did basic maintainence on my 250f. I only spent about 250 on parts and now she runs like new.

I replace my top end generally once a year - what I will usually do is take it out every 2 races and scotch brite it, then change the rings. Rings every 2 races is not that expensive...

I know somebody is going to say "just don't click on it", but these 2stv4st threads are getting stupid repetitive.

This was not intended to be a 2 vs. 4 .....both are equally good in my (not so good) hands....4's are great bikes, and many of them last a very long time with the correct maintainence schedule...But there is just something about the smell of premix in the morning.....

As far as pulling up to the gas pump and filling up, That's cool if you can do that, but I have never had an issue carrying a bottle of 2 smoke oil in my pack...Bel Ray makes nice neat little bottles, and they fit in the pack just fine...