markgoodall

What do TRAIL riders wear?

I'm getting back into riding after 20+ years away from the sport. Just trail riding, nothing agressive, jumps no more that a foot off the ground. Just fun trail riding in the north Georgia mountains.

Went for a day riding this summer and wore a helmet (of course) and tall leather boots, jeans, T-shirt and gloves. Anything more and I would have melted :thumbsup:

Bought a bike (XR200R) last week and looking at a little more gear.

Already have a very good, lightweight helmet, that's a no brainer. Thinking about boots and chest protector. Tried a bunch on and so far like the feel of the Fox Airframe alot. I have been reading alot of threads on the subject here and then suddenly started wondering something......

Alot of you wear a ton of gear.... all sorts of body armour, roost protectors, pads, elbow pads, knee pads, all the way to the Leatt brace..... but I'm wondering.....

How many of you that are wearing this much gear are into serious MX? Or perhaps another way to word the question:

How much do you TRAIL riders wear?

I'm not talking about you guys ripping around on and flying through the the air on CRF250R's, I'm talking guys riding XR250's and CRF230's on weekends with their kids and buddies. Father and son day trips. That sort of thing.

And I'm not talking about guys who've invested $7000-$8000 in a bike plus more on a ton in gear. I'm talking about guys who buy second hand bikes for a grand or two. I'm not opposed to spending money on protection. If my total budget was $750 (which it's not) I'll wear a $250 helmet and ride a $500 bike.

Just wondering.

from the sounds of it, my riding is pretty similar to what you described. i don't race or mx (anymore).

i have relegated myself to slow lane. following around my son on his ttr50, etc.

i wear: helmet, goggles, gloves, mx boots, long pants (sometimes jeans, sometimes mx pants), t-shirt/sweatshirt (depending on temp).

if i am riding with some buddies ... which usually results in me getting roosted ... i will wear a chest protector and knee/shin guards as well.

you don't have to spend a ton of money to get some decent "weekend trail ride" gear.

almost all my riding apparel has come from the clearance page on the dennis kirk website. if you don't care about color coordination or having this years newest styles .... you can't go wrong. besides, looking good never made anyone any faster! :-)

good luck.

i wear a good helmet,goggles, jersey, chest protecter, gloves,soon i will be getting a pair of riding pants,a good pair of boots are a-stars tech-3 or tech-6/7 wich you can pick up from 150$ for the 3's to 250 for the 7's i personally wear fly vipers since i got them for 70$ from my dealer and really for the laid back trail riding you do thats all you need of course if you want to you can get a neck roll elbow/knee guards and all those goodies:ride:

Full face helmet with goggle

Chest protector

Elbow/forearm pads

Kidney belt

Knee pads

Purpose built off-road boots (not work boots)

Jersey/pants/gloves

Even when it's hot, this stuff goes on. It's nice to walk away from a get off with a chuckle...

• Like 1

I trail ride and I have boots, pants, jersey, helmet, and a chest protector. It feels way better to have some protection just in case. My jersey even saved my arms last weekend when I looped out.

mx boots, mx pants, jersey (or tshirt, temp depending) gloves, helmet, chest protector, basic knee guards, EVS slip on elbow pands. grand total of..350-400 but they were all obtained one at a time so i never spent a bundle. id start with some gloves, chest protector, knee guards. then boots (work boots will do u fine for now), then pants/jersey. REMEMBER TO COLOR COORDINATE :thumbsup:

just kidding.. all that nice stuff gets cut off before the ambulance anyway..

I know it seems excessive or silly to gear way up for trail riding. But, one fall even at a really slow speed, can cause some really severe injuries. A $15 pair of knee protectors inside a pair of $100 boots can save you from a $50,000 knee or ankle reconstruction. Same with $!5 elbow pads, or $25 goggles. My ribs are worth way more than the $75 chest protector that I wear. Riding pants fit and feel better while sitting / standing and the knee pads fit well inside.

We ride in the yard with helmet, boots, knee pads, goggles, chest protector and gloves. Yes, jeans and t-shirts, too.

On a trip to the woods, we wear it all. Better safe than sorry!

Mike

• Like 1

im a trail rider, not too agressive

i wear

helemet (duh)

goggles

gloves

t shirt (when its hot)

a jacket (when its cold or theres a bunch of branches and stuff)

boxers :thumbsup:

and workboots

:thumbsup:

I forgot to mention goggles: I wear sunglasses. I don't think I could stand wearing goggles, it would drive me insane. I'd be far unsafer if I was wearing goggles I think, only because of the distraction, allergies, etc.

Thanks for the relies so far.

I forgot to mention goggles: I wear sunglasses. I don't think I could stand wearing goggles, it would drive me insane. I'd be far unsafer if I was wearing goggles I think, only because of the distraction, allergies, etc.

Thanks for the relies so far.

only reason my goggles distract me is because the foam is falling off.

For me and my brood, it's like this:

• Full Face Helmet
  • Goggles
  • Chest Protector
  • Elbow/Forearm Armor
  • Knee/Shin Pads
  • Gloves
  • Breathable Jersey
  • Over-The-Boot pants-deflects any water and debris from entering your boots
  • Good Supportive MX-Style Boots
  • Quality Enduro jacket that will protect from the elements, yet breathe and roll up into my pack
  • Backpack containing things like a hydration system, snacks, TP, basic first aid kit, and a set of tools to enable me to band aid a bike to get it to the road.

I ride trails 99% of the time, excluding that one time per year I get dumb and hit the track.

I ride 100% trail.

Full face helmet.

Goggles.

Gloves.

2 pairs of long pants, one over the other.

Large boots.

2 long sleeve shirts, one over the other.

It really sucks wearing all that when the temperature rises to 105*F but it I can't imagine not getting torn up without it.:thumbsup:

And no goggles!?!? I'm not sure if I'd still have eyes if I didn't have the things!

I'm one of those guys chasing/waiting on a son and daughter in the slow lane. However I can't get on my second hand XR250 without having a get off or two. :eek: I usually only ride helmet, MX boots, gloves, Jeans and T-shirt.

However after my last get off adventure..... (looped out shifting into 5th doing a wheelie) So that was like 40-50 miles hour was it? :bonk: I'm looking at getting some elbow pads, hip pads, knee pads hell what other kinda pads do they make?:ride:

I have seen the light as Brian pointed out. Some get offs are better done with gear.:thumbsup: The right gear may not have kept the bruises away but it sure would have kept me from leaking the red stuff. :bonk:

So some of it depends on what you are gonna be doing....... If your gonna practice 6 gear wheelies........ At least get some elbow pads. Ride like you have sense and jeans and a t shirt might do ya. I will say MX boots and helmet are a minimum.

But lets not forget the example that we set for our children too. I mean how do you explain that YOU don't need a chest protector and the little man does?:thumbsup: Children are a product of their environment! Want safe kids teach them safety. Want hoodlums, teach them nothing. Want dangerous kids show them danger or send them to my house and I'll show them 5th gear loopouts.:worthy::thumbsup:

helmet

always goggles

chest protector (has kept me from being speared)

gloves

tee shirt

riding pants

riding boots

i need shin/knee pads

im deprived of riding its so sad. college doesnt leave much room for riding. i cant wait till i go home for thanksgiving

I just wear my everyday clothing (jeans, t-shirt, light duty boots) but have had to alter that as time went on. I had an open face helmet and ski goggles, and wore my everyday stuff. But then I finally upgraded the helmet to an offroad/MX helmet, which is a little more restrictive IMO, but its nice to have a visor finally to keep the sun out of my eyes. Then the gloves I had started giving out, and got some S.U.G. gloves that seem to work pretty good so far from wal-mart. Once I finally upgraded from my old '74 Honda MT 250, to my "new" YZ 426 I had to get actual ATV/MX riding boots. The compression was WAY too much for my regular shoes to handle, and after kicking it 3 or 4 times I would have a hole in the sole. It was the most expensive item I've paid for (in terms of riding gear) but am very glad I got them. When I was riding my older bike (dont laugh) I put on a used fishing vest that I filled with tools :thumbsup: . Carried everything from a socket set to pliers to bailing wire. It was a little heavy, but I never got stranded. Other then that, its just regular clothing considering the weather. If its cold I pull out the jacket and bibs, if its hot its just a t-shirt and jeans.

But lets not forget the example that we set for our children too. I mean how do you explain that YOU don't need a chest protector and the little man does?:thumbsup: Children are a product of their environment! Want safe kids teach them safety. Want hoodlums, teach them nothing. Want dangerous kids show them danger or send them to my house and I'll show them 5th gear loopouts.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agree 100%. Not sure what its like in your neck of the woods, but what REALLY irks me is seeing a parent riding what ALWAYS seems to be a quad wearing NO armor or helmet and a young kid on the back with no armor or helmet either.

I can't believe the stupidity of some people. Not just for buying the quad, but for setting such a poor example to their kids.

I always wear full armor riding. In fact, I don't know what it feels like to ride without it??

I honestly can not stand riding with out a helmet, even if its just across the street, i feel un safe.

I'm a trail rider on a CRF250. I wear my Helmet, gloves, goggles, boots, chest protector all the time. Honestly, without any piece, even the gloves, I feel unprotected. Its a great habit. I don't bother with jerseys and pants. Jeans and a t-shirt suffice. Thorns hurt though on single track.

Oh yea, and My chest protector is a fox airframe. I love it. I like it much better than my friend's thor. It looks great, and does its job well. The shoulder guards are huge. That was a must after I snapped my collar-bone using only a rock and a quad :thumbsup: . The good ol days...

• Like 1