Sign in to follow this  

RM250 forks on a DR650 complete

Having now completed the swap, here is what I needed and what happened.

1. rm250 parts purchase:

Forks, upper and lower triple tree with stem and bearings, front wheel, axle and spacers, vapor computer

2. Swap parts

The front end bolts on directly to the frame with no issues because they share the same bearings. The DR650 caliper, brake line and master cylinder can all be used with the RM250 forks.

3. Issues

You can use a long bolt and mount the ignition and neutral indicator to the threaded area on the front of the upper RM250 triple. Put the threaded part in between the rubber of the neutral indicator and the ignition bracket.

You will not be able to lock the steering. Get a rotor lock and a leash.

You can use pipe clamps to secure the headlight bracket to the forks on the top. This requires cutting the top of the bracket off to fit between the top and bottom clamp. For the bottom you can bend a metal bracket and use the bolts the secure the front fender to mount the bottom mount of the headlight.

You will need to tap the steering stops with normal allen head bolts to keep the forks from banging the tank.

3. Vapor

The vapor will mount fine. I used the threaded area on the top bar clamp to mount an aluminum bracket. Or you can use the bar mount supplied.

On the speedo sensor I used the rotor bolt supplied with the magnetic part. I then bent a small aluminum strip and bolted it to the bottom of the forks where the brake line used to attach. Then the sensor attached at the other end to have the magnetic rotor bolt pass it.

4. Supermoto

I did more for making it supermoto. I lowered the forks and resprung them with racetech valves. I also laced the RM250 hub to a 17" rim.

Prices:

Complete front end from a 2003 RM250: $350

Revalve and respring with lowering on forks: $450

laced rm hub to 17" wheel: $50

Vapor computer: $160

EBC 320mm brake kit: $120

( I sold the stock parts from my DR and ended up spending $450 total in the end)

PICTURES: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14042559@N05/collections/72157602138243735/

hi two wheel,

nice bike mate, what front gaurd is that please i want one for my bike...

thanks in advance..

cheers tony...

for that price, why not respring/valve the stockers?

Adjustability and upsidedownedness?

for that price, why not respring/valve the stockers?

Upside down forks are more stiff than standard forks. Way better adjustability. Super trick looking. I can now use the 320mm ebc brake rotor kit which does not exist for the DR650. All for the same price as redoing the stock forks.

hi two wheel,

nice bike mate, what front gaurd is that please i want one for my bike...

thanks in advance..

cheers tony...

Acerbis front guard

nice job!! i did mine a little differen't, but running 18" and 21"

have fun--Bergman

Thanks for your pics, bergman

ebc is coming out with upgrade this winter

That is great.

I forgot to mention another reason I swapped the front end. I like to mod my bikes and upgrade items and have fun wrenching and solving problems. With all of the reasons I mentioned before and this I would definitely do it again.

twowheel

i am the same--just have to mess with stuff. nice to improve also. i'am working on the rear swing arm--not much chain adj. with 18" rim and big tire.

Bergman

Where did you pick up the RM250 front end? eBay?

How are the clearances between the top triple clamps and the tank when turned lock to lock? (or I guess you loose a bit of turning radius?)

Looks great by the way, something I'd love to do.

Just received rm250 inverted fork from ebay. Like new complete for 150 plus shipping. Good deal to start my project this winter.

Where did you pick up the RM250 front end? eBay?

How are the clearances between the top triple clamps and the tank when turned lock to lock? (or I guess you loose a bit of turning radius?)

Like I said in the post: you will need to tap the steering stops and use allen bolts to create the correct steering clearances.

$120 for the EBC disc sounds like great value, especially if it comes with the caliper adapter. just thought i'd list this info for other front brake options....

the front disc bolt pattern on 1987 to current model RM250s hasn't changed and is identical to the DRZ400 bolt pattern. you can get new 310mm floating DRZ400SM front discs for as low as $80 on fleabay (cheap chinese ones but no reported failures that i could find as yet).

next thing is the caliper adapter. the 19877 to 1988 RM250 only had a 240mm disc, from 1989 on it was 250mm, the same diameter as the DRZ400SM (specs from www.metalgear.com.au). check with a suzuki dealer first, but any supermoto caliper adapter for the DRZ400 E and S models should work on the RM250 as well if its a 1989+ model. but otherwise you could make your own caliper adapter plate and spacers.

another option. the nissen front caliper is very common across a huge range of japanese bikes. i've heard of guys getting the four pot nissen caliepr off a big sports bike and using on DRZ400s etc, which should be fine with a floating supermoto front disc.