Poor Running KLX?

My bike is not running very good after about 3 months sitting.

After about 3 months of not running due to battery problems and no time to mess with it, I decided 2 days ago to put the charger back on and try to charge. Seemed to have taken a charge after about 24 hrs and I started the engine.

It ran very poorly backfiring often and very sluggish throttle response, often stalling. Never even put it in gear to test ride it was so bad.

Although the gas had Stabil in it, I decided to drain and re-fill.

The engine still ran the same.

It is running very similar to when that little vacuum hose is off on the carb. (unfortunately the hose is connected...So Something Else???)

Anybody have any idea?

Inspect vaccum hose for cracks.

Sometimes after sitting for awhile the carb gets gummed up, even if you turn the petcock off, and even if you have stabilizer in it. If this is the case, usually just running fresh fuel through it will eventually clean it out. This hapened to me on one of my bikes and it always hapens to my ATV since I never ride it. That's the cheapest easiest place I can think of to start.

Good luck

Inspect vaccum hose for cracks.

Sometimes after sitting for awhile the carb gets gummed up, even if you turn the petcock off, and even if you have stabilizer in it. If this is the case, usually just running fresh fuel through it will eventually clean it out. This hapened to me on one of my bikes and it always hapens to my ATV since I never ride it. That's the cheapest easiest place I can think of to start.

Good luck

Bike has about 230 miles on it @ 1 Year Old ...Surely the vacuum lines are ok??? I'll look around a bit for that.

I ran it for about 5 minutes 3 times to flush the carb hoping for it to get better but it did not.

It will almost idle with full choke on

THANKS

That's exactly what my ATV does when I don't ride it for awhile, STA-BIL and all. I don't use any sea foam or berrymans, although I'm sure they will work. I just ride it sputttering or not and it clears itself up. I hate tearing into the carb on the DRZ since it's a little hard to get to. It usually doesn't take much. Will your bike not run at all w\o the choke or it just won't idle? If it will run with the throttle cracked open enough to get into the pilot circuit of the carb then this advice will probably work. It always has for me. kman780 is right though, it sounds like there is a little gunk around your needle and seat\pilot.

Ok....Thanks

It will run at 1/2 choke and no choke at about 1/4-1/2 throttle after major warm-up.

I am understanding from you guys this is a common occurrance for sitting still for a little while / too long.

I'll try to get it moving next weekend maybe.

Ok....Thanks

It will run at 1/2 choke and no choke at about 1/4-1/2 throttle after major warm-up.

I am understanding from you guys this is a common occurrance for sitting still for a little while / too long.

I'll try to get it moving next weekend maybe.

Yea, that sounds like a dirty carb.... Its is common if any bike sites for a long time for this kind of stuff to happen. Did you add the stabil and run the bike for a few minutes to get the "stabil" gas in the carb?

Yea, that sounds like a dirty carb.... Its is common if any bike sites for a long time for this kind of stuff to happen. Did you add the stabil and run the bike for a few minutes to get the "stabil" gas in the carb?

NOPE...Did not run the engine to get the Stabil into the carb....Couldn't as the battery was so dead it would not charge and couldn't get motor turning even on battery charger.

NOPE...Did not run the engine to get the Stabil into the carb....Couldn't as the battery was so dead it would not charge and couldn't get motor turning even on battery charger.

? Well if you haven't already done the 3x3 and rejet you might as well now....

I had the same issue. Would run with the choke and die when i pushed the choke off. I bought some carb cleaner and it cleared up after a few small squirts.

OK, I'll try some Carb Cleaner

? Well if you haven't already done the 3x3 and rejet you might as well now....

Yeh, the 3x3 is way done ago

FCR will have the same problem if you let it sit still for awhile. To prevent you must ride often, let fuel stabilizer circulate through the carb, or turn fuel off and let carb drain completely or let it run until it dies. You're right though, if you have to remove stock carb, you might as well put a better one in it's place if you have the means to do so.

FCR will have the same problem if you let it sit still for awhile. To prevent you must ride often, let fuel stabilizer circulate through the carb, or turn fuel off and let carb drain completely or let it run until it dies. You're right though, if you have to remove stock carb, you might as well put a better one in it's place if you have the means to do so.

Like the 2 strokes I've been on forever....Turn the gas off ?

I guess I'll turn off the gas when battery dies....Duh.

AND...Run the gas out every ride??? Heck I don't even run carbs dry that often on my boats of past years = screaming 2-strokes