KTM 625 SXC advice

I'm looking at buying one of these for a dual sport. There is a 2004 for sale in my area for 4650.00 with 1800 miles on the clock that already has a plate. KBB says its value is 4325.00. I'm having a really hard time trying to decide what bike to buy. I was sold before on buying a DR650 and then a DRZ400. The KTM seems like a much nicer package over all but the low oil capacity seems to be a negative for long trips. Ultimately I want a bike to ride from Seattle to Baja for a couple weeks and I also would like to check out Alaska sometime. I've only ridden CR250's in the past so I'm not really sure what bike is best for me. Is buying this bike a mistake?? Should I look for a 640 adventure instead? The only reason I shy away from the adventure is that it is quite a bit heavier than the SXC. I want to be able to do some trail riding from time to time as well. Thanks.

I own a 03 SXC that has about 6500 miles on it now. For the longer rides I have a big tank and softer seat. It does an OK job in the single track and is great in the open stuff (dual track). I have done afew 200+ mile days but would not recommend it. In general I think it is a good choice.

I have the same bike, with an 18L tank, Renazco saddle, jetting, and suspension work. I think it's a great bike, and it will cruise at 70 on the slab, but it's not much fun. I've only run full knobbies, though. Most of my day rides are under 100 miles, so I could've gotten away with the stock tank (18L is good for about 200 miles). I don't think I'd ride it to Baja, but it'd be fun once you got down there. You'd probably want to change the oil just before you leave, and somewhere in SoCal. Might also want to swap at least the back tire.

That's probably a reasonable price if it hasn't been abused. I paid about $4500 for mine with a little under 5k miles (very clean, and with the big tank).

-David

• 5 weeks later...

I had a DR650, sold it and now have a 625 SXC.

The DR is a great bike, what I would call a true D/S bike, you can load it up and go, little maintenance worries, true street legal from the factory. It was great for easy relaxed trail riding, exploring, just playing around. Probably a better platform for long street rides. (but not my first choice for that) I had mine set up very nicely, with a dirt oriented slant.

The SXC is lighter, faster, much better build quality I would say, but with that is more frequent oil changes, liquid cooling, etc. The SXC is much easier to ride faster than the DR, MUCH easier. I have more fun on the SXC, but it's my dirt bike, not my touring bike.

I have both the stock tank and seat, and a 5 gal tank and Rencazo seat.

They are both great bikes, but the performance is quite different. I would say I think the DR650 is very underrated, it's a much better bike than many give it credit for.

DR6501M.jpg

DR6504M.jpg

FloriDave

Man FloriDave, that is one damn nice DR you got there!

Thanks, I had fun putting it all together. Built the brackets for the headlights with a cool dashboard, Vapor computer(removed stock speedo and ignition stitch and stuff). Mounted extra exhaust can as a tool kit holder.

BUT, I like my KTM much better. Nothing fancy on it, just a great ride.