Ktm 690 Smc 2008

Yah! Seriously you crazy Brits could you ride the crap out of it and please report back to us? But don't get arrested or anything (I understand they have no sense of humor for traffic shenanigans in the UK).

Thanks.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daaaaammn!!!

So whats the bike like? Is it the beast that I'm hoping that it will be?

Got any pictures?

I can't load pics till I get home (work pc can't get photobucket)

The bike is sooooo much fun. Only done 350 miles so far and the engine feels like it's starting to loosen up a bit. It's deceptively fast but definitely needs the akrapovic exhaust as it feels a bit choked up.

I have the map selector switch set on "advanced" and it's very responsive on the throttle. I tried the "standard" map setting and it was crap - too unresponsive for me

Tyres provide excellent grip and handling is pretty sharp. The front brake is brutally powerful.

Also, the headlight is excellent, very bright indeed.

One thing I am going to change is the front sprocket. Standard is 16 and I'm gonna go for a 15 as the gears are too long for my liking.

Never had a slipper clutch before but I'm liking it so far. Who knows, I might even master backing it in ?

Some pics for you:

When I first got it:

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

Decided it needed the back end and indicators sorting and binned the mirrors too:

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

Also threw some axle sliders on and removed the massive plastic chainguard from the swingarm.

would you say the smc 690 has the throttle response like a 640 with FCR41?

I've never ridden a 640 so I couldn't say. I did however have a 56bhb DRZ with an FCR41. The throttle response is very sharp but not as brutal as with the FCR.

I can't really make a good comparison until I have my akrapovic system with the akra map. I feel the standard exhaust with the cat ischoking the bike a lot.

yes. 10.5k OTD with all the taxes and fees. the reasons I'm using to justify it is that it'll be more daily driver friendly than the duke II. with 6 speeds, less vibs and slightly better range.

wow, my dealership is selling them for less than $9K otd

I'm waiting impatiently for them to arrive:ride:

Some pics for you:

When I first got it:

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

Decided it needed the back end and indicators sorting and binned the mirrors too:

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

Also threw some axle sliders on and removed the massive plastic chainguard from the swingarm.

Super nice bike, but could you step back and take a picture from the side?

Dave

While the SMC is a nice bike I still like my SM more. The SM style is unlike any other bike which is why the masses hate it. I find motorcycle guys to be more picky about bikes than car people about cars. I like all kinds but I enjoy the odd and exotic which I think the SM is. I still get a lot of looks and complements on the bike. Plus I can do 300 mile trips and not have any issues. Thats not what the SMC is made for. In a world where tatoos are common place and a mohawk is a fashon statement. I am so glad KTM (and Ducatis Hypermotard) had the balls to be different and make something ground breaking. The masses will see the SMC as another dirt bike with street wheels. When they see my SM they have to ask because they are not sure what it is and I think thats cool.