More XR650L/600R carb help (paging Eddie again)

This is a '93 XRL with an early '90s 600R carb on it. 1,000 feet asl, drilled airbox, stock headpipe and Supertrapp can.

I went from a 152 main to a 140 as per Eddie's suggestion. While I was at it I went from a 62 pilot to a 40 pilot, as the idle wouldn't respond to the fuel screw until it was all the way in. On-throttle response is much much better, but I can't get it to idle. Full choke, fires right up until the idle starts to taper off, then turn the choke off, idles fine for about 10 second and then dies. Will not fire until the choke is back on, then does the same thing. Does this hot or cold, no matter what I do with the fuel screw. Any suggestions?

62 to a 40 was way to much of a jump.

a 60 or 58 was probably what was needed.

Sorry, my mistake. I had put a 50 in it. It was what I had laying around. I put the 62 back in it and it idled fine, now the problem is at WOT it runs like cat doodoo. Popping, sputtering and absolutely no power. I'm about two inches from giving up and getting a stock carb to put on it. I did check the float level on it and it was a bit high, I dropped it just a bit so the floats are parallel with the float bowl gasket. Am I an idiot? Probably. Am I tired of fiddling with this stupid carb? You bet.

And to answer cleonard's questions, the 650L has 50 more CC's, but way less agressive cams and porting. Lower compression, too.