coolant coming out of weep hole.

I just got back from a weekend camping trip. I pulled in to the camp site on friday night and unloaded my bike. When I was unloading I saw coolant all over the bottom of my truck bed. I thought maybe the road was a little rough coming in and coolant "spilled" out. I topped it off and went for a little ride. I only rode it for about 20 minutes before I came back. I checked the level and only a very small amount of coolant was gone. But coolant would continue to leak out the weep hole for the entire camping trip. I didnt get to ride this weekend.:confused: I was scared of the cooant and transmission oil mixing. I guess my question is, how do I fix the seal?

the weep hole is to tell you when your seals in the water pump are bad, you can have either coolant or oil and it tells you what seal you need to replace. Time to put a new one it, its pretty easy, with pump cover off you can pull impeller and get to the seal.

Alright, this will be faster, and cheaper, then texting from here in Nogales.

You will need to drain the oil to pull that side cover. It's really not that bad, but is a lot more work. Maybe you could borrow a small puller from Auto Zone or something? You really should be able to do it all by just removing the water pump housing and then the impeller. I'm surprised it's on there that good.

Alright, this will be faster, and cheaper, then texting from here in Nogales.

You will need to drain the oil to pull that side cover. It's really not that bad, but is a lot more work. Maybe you could borrow a small puller from Auto Zone or something? You really should be able to do it all by just removing the water pump housing and then the impeller. I'm surprised it's on there that good.

You don't need to remove the main cover or drain the oil to do the water seal, just remove the pump cover, the impeller can be unscrewed and the seal gently levered out from beneath. Just check the shaft for wear and pop in a new seal if O.K. If shaft is worn then it will need replacing.

Have also had two Yz's do the same with a bad headgasket inner o-ring seal. The combustion charge pressurises the coolant system and forces it past even a good seal. Just a thought if a new seal does not do the trick.

He's having a very hard time getting the impreller off the shaft. I told him he may need to remove the side cover and go at it like the manual instructs.

I didn't even think about a head gasket issue. He recently replaced the top end in his bike, could possibly have an o-ring problem.

• Like 1

I say take the cover off and replace both oil seals. No sense in replacing one only to have the other start leaking in the near future.

On the 125's you HAVE to take the cover off to get the impeller out, since it and the shaft are one peice. Would have been nice for them to make it two separate peices like on the 250's.

Depending upon the price of a new water pump,you may want to consider replacing the entire pump if your bike has alot of hours on it.

Its just a shaft turned by gears with an impeller screwed on it! its not like a water pump on a car! No need to replace an "entire pump" as fixing your leak problem with a seal is all you need to do.

I say take the cover off and replace both oil seals. No sense in replacing one only to have the other start leaking in the near future.

Mine was leaking from the H20 seal and i just replaced it cuz its a 30 min job and the oil seal hasnt leaked ever and its 7 years old. Replacing the pump seal is nothing tearing the whole side apart to do both seals is alot more work that needed if only water seal is leaking.

Denn, now that I think about it, you shouldn't have to take the cover off at all to replace either seal on the 250. The seals sit one behind the other, at least they do on my 125, so once you remove the first seal, the second sits just behind it. Maybe it's diff. for the 250 though.

Regardless, even if you have to take the cover off, it's only a 30 min job to remove the shaft + replace both seals.